Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ammo weight?  (Read 1737 times)

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ammo weight?
« on: June 22, 2012, 10:39:33 pm »

Maybe Toady put this in to balance things out, but has anyone noticed how CRAZY heavy a quiver of bolts/arrows now is?  I was playing a dwarf who'd thrown out a gobbo bowman.  Snuck up, grabbed the bow and quiver and started taking potshots.  Wasn't till I got spotted that I noticed my speed had been cut from 1400 to something like 645.  Only had like two stones left in the bag, so it wasn't that. Had 32 arrows left in the stack.  Silver, so they were heavy, but still.  A full suit of armor didn't slow me down nearly that much.

Has anyone else noticed this?  I've gone through a few more games and each time, ammo's so heavy it's hardly worth carrying with you incase you get ambushed.

Disclosure - I've modded dwarves to live in cities, not mountianhomes so my dorf adventurers don't have to square off against tigers in wool socks.  Otherwise I'm playing vanilla.

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ammo weight?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 03:56:05 am »

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. Presumably it's a fairly well-known "feature" that may or may not be addressed in the future.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 04:29:33 am »

Nope, not noticed :|

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:39:30 pm »

I assumed it was a weight-as-difficulty-to-carry balance thing. In real life arrows and bolts are bulky and relatively fragile. Packing several dozen of the things around would be a major hassle.

But this is the game where you can fairly easily carry a couple corpses in your backpack and use them as throwing weapons so I donno...
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:49:11 pm »

Go into the raws and change the size of bolts to something smaller.

I changed it to 50 instead of its original 150.

A stack of 30 copper bolts now weighs like 17 weight units. Its pretty convenient. Although there's a side affect where you can store ridiculous amounts of bolts in your quiver.

A weird thing I noticed with quivers is, if you fill a quiver with water, it will carry 20 units, but you can put like 8 bags in a quiver and fill every one of them with 50 units of water. Some odd things that toady will probably flesh out later.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:49:26 am »

Im wondering if single bolts count as weighting the same as a stack.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:56:49 am »

Nah, different size stacks of meat have different weights. I'm certain that stack mechanics for bolts are the same.