Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The ability to select key problematic individwarfuals and attack.  (Read 1708 times)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suggest, as I'm sure others have, the ability to use a military squad to attack any other dwarf in the fortress. Whether its creating squad after squad and pitting them against each other for experience, using natural selection to create an uber army; or easily killing off the weak and maimed; or getting rid of some other threat.

Specific Examples cited:

I have a dwarf. He turned out to be a vampire. He was taken by a mood, unable to create whatever he wanted to create, and now is a babbling insane madman. I don't think he's going to die anytime soon... I'd like to remove him. Forcefully.

I have a dwarf. He turned out to be a vampire. He was jailed for murder but never executed. While jailed, somehow got himself elected as mayor. I'd like to remove him. Forcefully.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The ability to select key problematic individwarfuals and attack.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:59:25 pm »

Keep the berserk dwarf as a pet.
Your mayor could find an...unfortunate accident waiting for him/her.
You don't need to fit the word "dwarf" into every word relating to dwarves somehow.

The idea is fairly good. I'd add the caveat that they need to somehow be non-members and/or enemies of the fortress, like vampires or crazies. (Nobles don't count; what noble would order his own death? Aside from those human law-givers who would do that sometimes in older versions, but that was a bug.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:44:15 pm »

You could always add a training skirmish feature where you pit two squads against each other in mock combat. When you select your squads to do that they automatically go and pick up some nearby training weapons and start wailing on each other.

Any injuries that result would be excellent training for the doctors. The handful of doctors I have are all varying degrees of Rusty and V. Rusty in their skill sets because every time I send my soldiers into combat the only dwarves injured are the ones that die.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 02:09:09 pm »

Both examples are against dwarven laws. Vampires who served their punishment are considered clean and no dwarf is viable for execution without reason. If you don't like someone go and organize accident for him, but no dwarf is smart dishonest enough to willingly participate in your dirty frauds.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 02:56:20 pm »

Both examples are against dwarven laws. Vampires who served their punishment are considered clean and no dwarf is viable for execution without reason. If you don't like someone go and organize accident for him, but no dwarf is smart dishonest enough to willingly participate in your dirty frauds.
While the fact that dwarves won't kill people without reason is true, the current vampire hunting methods are as effective as witchhunting, with the exception that the vampires excist.
(Witchhunters: Burn her at the stake, if she survives, she's a witch, in which cease we have a serious problem.
(Dwarves: Give him a hammering only a nondwarf might survive, if he survives, he's free.)

It somehow makes no sense that dwarves would devise a punsihment that only the guilty could survive. 

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 03:11:23 pm »

While the fact that dwarves won't kill people without reason is true, the current vampire hunting methods are as effective as witchhunting, with the exception that the vampires excist.
It somehow makes no sense that dwarves would devise a punsihment that only the guilty could survive.
It's not vampire hunting it's punishment for murder if I recall correct. If someone kills several dwarfs during the tantrum he'll get the same amount of hammerstrikes.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 03:20:33 pm »

It's not vampire hunting it's punishment for murder if I recall correct. If someone kills several dwarfs during the tantrum he'll get the same amount of hammerstrikes.
In that case it kinda makes sense. Seems like the dwarves justice system hasn't adapted for vampires, and they just think that the vampire has been saved by Armok.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:20:53 pm »

If we ever get holy water or something else vampires are supposed to be violently 'allergic' to, it would be nice to see suspected vampires getting dunked in a bath of it during the justice process.

Then again, vampires are randomly generated, so any weaknesses they have probably are as well... Hope we have a lot of vats of random fluids.

"Did the prisoner react at all to the milk?"
"Nope."
"The blood that was blessed by a priest?"
"Nah."
"The peanut oil?"
"Yes, but he was allergic, so..."
A peasant has been found dead!
"Crud."
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 06:37:30 pm »

I thought that was what magma was for.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 12:34:05 am »

I thought that was what magma was for.
Nope, magma is an universal disenfectant. It's useable for anything. (Except for solving a magma flood)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 11:37:58 am »

Water's useful for that, although you might have a surplus of obsidian.

Back on topic: There should be some way for dwarven justice to accuse someone of a crime without evidence of the crime. If a dwarf is found dead, there's not really evidence of murder, and if the murderer disposes of the body by, say, chucking it into a fire or the caverns (behavior that should eventually occur), there needs to be some way to accuse and punish a dwarf anyway. And, of course, you should be able to accuse and punish a dwarf for no reason at all, once the other dwarves and civs will react appropriately (e.g. stealing weapons and killing the leaders of the fortress, or having the fortress guard rebel if the CotG loses someone they love to this perverted "justice").
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.