Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Let's Play NBA 2k12 (Or MLB 2k12 I guess)

(1/2) > >>

Cthulhu:
Required listening

I made an interesting discovery today!  NBA 2k12 has a custom team option, as well as custom players.  You know what that means!

This first post is to see if anyone's interested in doing a Let's Play of NBA 2k12.  Basically, I'd make a custom team.  Almost everything is customizable, from the name, to the logo (Though only letters and numbers are available by default, I'll see if I can't figure out how to add custom logos, it's apparently possible), to the coach's name and all colors, including logo colors and home/away jerseys.  We can decide all of this by vote or just suggestions, though I'm the coach and my name is Squid Blub. 

You can also customize players.  This is a pretty involved process, but you can make him pretty much whatever you want.  Name, number, hometown, position, specialty, appearance (With generous enough sliders to make some truly monstrous characters), and even the plays he knows and the animations he uses.  It's all very in-depth.  I'll make a form people can use to submit characters. 

Actual gameplay is pretty much just like an actual game.  I'll be in control but I'll provide descriptions of how each game goes and maybe some screenshots of particularly intense action or hilarious things.  We'll play through hopefully a whole season or more but I can't make any promises.  People with characters in the game can provide suggestions for how to manage the team, who to pick in the draft, what general strategy we should go for, and all of that.

It's probably important to note that I am not very good at NBA 2k12.  This LP will provide humor and entertainment probably through the team's failure.  That being said, I'd rather the failure be spontaneous, and I don't want people designing their characters to engineer failure.  The game has some limits on character creation, so you can't make a 5'10" 98 pound center, but there's enough leeway you could probably make a bad character if you really wanted to.  Let's try not to.

Final note:  If people really really hate b-ball they can get the fuck out suggest we instead play MLB 2k12, which has the same kind of freedom but isn't really as good.  The games are also much longer and the teams are bigger so we'll end up with more free agents and non-player characters.   On the upside, I'm a bit better at it.  In the second post I'll put team info and character creation stuff.

Faux edit:  I just realized not everyone is from America, so I should probably specify that NBA 2k12 is an American Basketball game, just in case.  MLB 2k12 is a baseball game.

Cthulhu:
Use this form to submit a character

--- Quote from: Character Creation Form ---Name:
If it's something common the announcers will use it in-game, though you won't be able to hear it.

Number:
00, 0-99.  No duplicates

Position:
There are five positions.  I'll describe them after the form so you can pick one

Play style:
There are several play styles for each position and most are pretty intuitive.  If you know what your position does say what you want your character to specialize in, or just be an all-around kind of player

Hometown:
There's a huge variety of cities and countries to pick, pretty much anywhere an NBA player could conceivably come from.  I'll try to get the closest fit.

Birthday:
You know what this is.  Be reasonable.  I'm an American so I read dates mm/dd/yyyy

Years pro:
From 1 to 26

Personality:
Laid-back, neutral, expressive, or unpredictable.  Influences the way your character behaves.

Height/Weight:
Be reasonable.  The game limits sizes to what would be reasonable for the position.

Description:
General information including appearance.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: The five positions ---1-Point Guard:  Comparable to the quarterback in football.  The point guard makes plays and executes the coach's gameplan.  Usually the smallest player on the team but not always.  Essential skills include dribbling, passing, and general game IQ.  Racks up a large number of assists due to passing.

2-Shooting Guard:  The team's main scorer.  The shooting guard is usually very good at making 3-point shots, but some can also take it to the paint and score close baskets and dunks.  Essential skills are shooting, passing (For PG/SG combos) and athleticism. 

3-Small Forward:  Usually the most versatile player on the team.  Small forwards can often double as shooting guards or point guards, and tend to score a lot of points.  Generally gets in close for layups and dunks, taking a lot of fouls in the process (So most are very good free throwers). 

4-Power Forward:  Like the small forward, but bigger.  Usually gets under the basket, posting (Turning your back to the basket and using your size and strength to bully the defender) on offense and zone defending on defense.  Essential skills are strength, post-play, and defense.

5-Center:  Generally the biggest and tallest player on the team.  The Portland Trail Blazers used a planetoid as their center for several seasons.  A sufficiently massive center is a huge asset, and center is sometimes considered the most important position on the team.  Role is similar to the power forward, with even more focus on getting under the basket for scoring, blocking, and rebounds.  Often terrible free-throwers.  Essential skills are size, athleticism, and defense.

--- End quote ---

The starting lineup will probably be chosen from the best submissions, but may depend on what kind of strategy the team goes for.  The rest will be reserves, supplemented by rookies and free agents.  I'll add team info and stuff as it comes up or as I think of it, but there may not be much added unless the LP starts showing interest, so I don't waste too much time.

Cthulhu:
I've been messing around in association mode and I didn't realize just how complicated it was.  This may have been a little premature.  Not saying it can't happen, just saying it's a lot more than I thought it would be and I may be even more comically inept than I thought.

Digital Hellhound:
Heh, I've been thinking of doing a NHL 11 LP somehow with the same concept. But seeing as I have no idea how I'd get screenshots...

Speaking of which, are you going to have screenshots somehow? Or is this game for the PC too?

--- Code: ---Name: Brutus 'the Mountain' Little

Number:10

Position:Center

Play style: Uhh... something big, physical, athletic? I dun know shit 'bout basketball.

Hometown: Tel Aviv, Israel (for some reason I ended up with this for several of my NHL characters, go figure)

Birthday: 3/27/1980

Years pro: 20

Personality: Laid-back, it's gotta be laid-back

Height/Weight: Just over two meters, high weight

Description: The dumbest-looking face you can find
--- End code ---

Knave:

--- Quote from: Character Creation Form ---Name: Ironbeard Quick

Number: 02

Position: Point Guard

Play style: Smart playmaker?

Hometown: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Birthday: 02/02/1988

Years pro: 5 ish?

Personality: expressive

Height/Weight: Slightly smaller.

Description: Biggest beard possible. If there's a mohawk available, I think it would add to the character.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version