Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarves won't equip halberd  (Read 13888 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't equip halberd
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:30:51 pm »

Preface: not all dwarves can equip a halberd, as the minimum size necessary to wield one in even two hands is above the average size of a dwarf. In order to determine which dwarves are large enough to wield a halberd, I've been using splinterz' DT clone, which reads dwarf size and weapon raws directly.

I have an iron halberd bought from the human caravan that nobody wants to equip, and I can't figure out why. The halberd is accessible and non-forbidden, and the only free weapon in the fortress (the rest are picks and axes being used by the miners and woodcutters). The military dwarves are all large enough to multigrasp a halberd, and I've also tried getting every adult dwarf in the fortress to use the halberd.

So far I've tried 1. using a uniform that's just the halberd, being both specific and nonspecific about the material and also changing the exact match / over uniform settings, 2. assigning the halberd directly, 3. setting the proper military uniform to include 'any melee weapon' and exclude a shield, and 4. setting every civilian in the fortress to a uniform with just a halberd, and then deleting the uniform a dwarf at a time just in case an improperly-sized dwarf is blocking the slot or something.

So far nobody's claimed it with the green tick, let alone picked it up.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't equip halberd
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:41:02 pm »

Are hauling dwarves able to move it around? What about adorning it with gems and trying to assign it again?
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:53:09 pm »

Hauling dwarves can touch it, and making it count as fortress-produced doesn't help.

Assigning it manually does put the green tick on it, but the dwarf doesn't make any move to pick it up.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 07:55:13 pm »

Strange, indeed. What if you activate the dwarf currently "owning" the halberd, as in, making it attack something?
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 08:08:58 pm »

They just attack it with their bare hands, not picking up the halberd.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 08:24:27 pm »

I believe that a halberd isn't a weapon that vanilla Dwarves can use not matter what size they are, because it isn't in the Dwarven entity weapon list.

[DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_WAR]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MACE]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_TRAINING]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT_TRAINING]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR_TRAINING]
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 08:35:39 pm »

That just controls what they can make. Dwarves can use liberated daggers and whips just fine.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 09:42:07 pm »

I believe that a halberd isn't a weapon that vanilla Dwarves can use not matter what size they are, because it isn't in the Dwarven entity weapon list.

I've had dwarves use longswords, two handed swords and a bunch of other weapons not on that list.

To the OP, could it be some kind of weight limit? Maybe the dwarves have enough strength to use the halberd, but not pick it up and carry it along with all their clothing.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 09:47:11 pm »

To the OP, could it be some kind of weight limit? Maybe the dwarves have enough strength to use the halberd, but not pick it up and carry it along with all their clothing.

First time I hear about a weight limit. I've seen dwarves lift stones that weight well in excess of 200 kilograms, how can they not lift a halberd and clothes? Furthermore, once (due to a mistake of mine), I had a dwarf carry a cart with five boulders in it. He moved reaaaally sloooow, but he moved it nonetheless.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 09:54:06 pm »

First time I hear about a weight limit. I've seen dwarves lift stones that weight well in excess of 200 kilograms, how can they not lift a halberd and clothes? Furthermore, once (due to a mistake of mine), I had a dwarf carry a cart with five boulders in it. He moved reaaaally sloooow, but he moved it nonetheless.

I didn't think there was a weight limit, either, considering you can give a dwarf enough enough armour that applying realistic physics would probably cause some kind of density collapse and create the first !!dwarf engineered star!!.

On topic, it was worth a shot. If you eliminate the possible, the only explanation must be the impossible.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 10:40:54 pm »

An iron halberd is 9L, a silver battle axe is 8L, and steel mail, breastplate, and greaves all hover around the 20L mark. Human weapons aren't really that heavy compared to everything else.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 10:54:55 pm »

Stumped here. Have you tried closing the game and reloading? What about firing up the arena, if only to check that the problem is in your fort and not the raws or something? Can't really come up with more ideas, sorry.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 11:37:32 pm »

They move metal cages with trolls in quite slowly too!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 04:39:23 am »

I believe actual size of military dwarves doesn't matter and the only thing that matters is average dwarven size as seen in the raws, i.e. 60000. If a weapon requires more size to multigrasp, no dwarf will ever wield it in fortress mode, regardless of being tall, incredibly muscular and extremely tough, and, obviously, weighing more than 60 kg.
I tried similar thing with great axes and mauls and I never had any dwarf wield them. Long swords work, but their [TWO-HANDED] value is lower than 60000.

Are you positively sure you had your dwarves fight with two-handed swords and other such stuff?

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 06:45:35 am »

Would it be possible to reduce the weight of the halberd below the 60000 limit and see if they use it then?
Pages: [1] 2 3