Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gold dust snow - how to get rid of it?  (Read 3138 times)

Xionanx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Gold dust snow - how to get rid of it?
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:34:23 pm »

I've googled this, checked the wiki, and searched here with no luck.

Basicly here's the problem:  I built my fort in a mirthful place, and within minutes of starting it had snowed "Gold Dust" like 5 times, and then a "Cloud of Boiling Golden Salve" blew through... 4+ times..   So now I have a map covered in gold dust and pools of golden salve, hell my stream in now flowing with golden salve... but what can I do with this stuff?

My map is nearly useless for growing now as I can seem to make farms with this stuff covering virtually every sqaure inch of my map...  or is this some "Special" weather added my MW DF?

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gold dust snow - how to get rid of it?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:47:39 pm »

You will need to wait for rain to wash it away
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:50:08 pm »

If you build a floor over it, then remove the floor, does that get rid of it? Can you clear an area by dropping a drawbridge on it?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 07:26:45 am »

Wait what?

Good weather?

OK, save plz.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 07:56:03 am »

This is what you get for playing "Masterwork" DF.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:20:53 am »

At least he said, "Is it my MW?" But to save time in the future, when you are playing Masterwork and something weird happens, you already know the answer: it's Masterwork. You are playing a different game than the rest of us. Masterwork is like the Kitchen Sink of DF mods, it adds a little bit of everything, guns, turrets, landmines, good rain, et multiple cetera. Personally, when I play Masterwork (which has been rarely) I turn almost all the extras off, I don't think guns and turrets and such-like fit with the theme. It's too bad, because much of the crafting overhaul is nice.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:09:58 am »

Not true; you should mention, just to check, but some things still SHOULD NOT happen, no matter what kind of DF you are using.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:20:37 am »

Not true; you should mention, just to check, but some things still SHOULD NOT happen, no matter what kind of DF you are using.
OP did mention it.. the only thing he did wrong was to bury it right at the end of his post:

or is this some "Special" weather added my MW DF?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 11:30:52 am »

...So he did. I guess that that makes sense...might be good to spell out "Masterwork," though...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 11:31:29 am »

Some things should not happen? Says who? I mean, I agree with you, sort of. I think guns and turrets shouldn't happen in a fantasy game, yet in Masterwork, they do. I think golden salve rain is dumb, yet someone went to the trouble to add it to good regions. I'm not talking about things like having trouble setting up the military, or "Eye tooth, WTF?" questions, obviously those have nothing to do with Masterwork. But I swear, I can not count the number of times someone has had some weird thing happen and we see a dozen responses before someone thinks to ask, "Uh, are you using Masterwork?" and the answer is ALWAYS "Why, yes I am but somehow I did not think it was important to mention that fact."

Masterwork is a massive overhaul of the game. It changes nearly everything. In my opinion, if you are using it, you shouldn't even be posting questions here, you should be posting questions on the Masterwork thread in the Modding forum. Let other Masterwork users debug Masterwork problems. And FFS, RTFM. No, really. Read it. Have questions? Read it again. More questions? Go bug the author.

And for the record, I was THANKING this writer for mentioning that he uses Masterwork. I think part of the problem is that Meph wants a bunch of the stuff he added to be a surprise. Great. So it isn't even in a manual or readme. Thanks for that.

That's why I say, take it to the modding forum. Maybe if Meph and the other Masterwork users were the ones who had to deal with all the "WTFs?" they would get around to writing some proper documentation. People think Masterwork is a "mod." It is not a mod, it is more like a total conversion. It's a different game.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 11:53:17 am »

Happens in vanilla df too, but only with bad weather, of course. I have a completely red landscape, because it rains "heinous slush" every few seconds for years now. It's creating more spam than the bugged hauling system.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 01:20:25 pm »

I MEANT that there are things that are NOT INTENDED to happen in Masterwork, like the turrets blowing up for no reason or adamantine spires. For these things, it's good to check, "Say. is this supposed to happen in Masterwork?" There's not going to be a new subforum for every mod. So, yeah, we should get Meph to explain some of the stuff, but there's not a lot we can do but PM him every time we see a thread whose OP is confused about a Masterwork feature.
(And "total conversions" are still mods of DF if they use the same base code as vanilla but aren't. Just semanticking you.)
Sig

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 04:39:23 pm »

It's worth mentioning that if you play MW or some other rather substantial mod you might have more success posting in the specific thread of that mod.

and ofcourse reading the list of everything it adds and changes
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.