Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forbidding nest boxes is ignored?  (Read 1202 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forbidding nest boxes is ignored?
« on: June 27, 2012, 06:06:39 pm »

Okay so i have a buncha chickens with about 4 nest boxes i could have sworn i just saw a dwarf pick up an egg barrel and run into their pen and go to each nest box. I had prior to this forbid all of them because i wanted to see if i could get chicks. Please don't tell me forbidding stuff only works sometimes and you have to have knowledge of each case where forbidding needs to be augmented with locked doors or other bizarre trickery.

This is the kinda stuff that is a deathnail for me with gaming. If the interface does not do what it's supposed to and you need to understand special and exlclusive cases then your not playing a game but wrestling with a malfunctioning or recondite interface.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:10:47 pm by Rafe »

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forbidding nest boxes is ignored?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 06:18:35 pm »

Also i can't verify if he did or did not remove eggs because i can't look in the nest boxes. Is it possible he canceled his actions once he got to each box and read that it was forbidden? Still even if that is the case he wasted a ton of time trying checking to see if they are retrievable. Either case this sucks.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:19:27 pm »

You have to forbid the eggs, not the nest box.

Far simpler is to put the nest box behind a locked door so the dwarves can't get to it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:21:24 pm »

He didn't interact with the nest box, he interacted with the eggs.  Forbid the eggs, or forbid the door that leads to the eggs (and if there isn't one, build one).  I like to put each nest box in its own 1x1 room with a door so I have finer control over which and how many eggs get grabbed.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »

So in order to forbid eggs you have to make sure ALL of your food stockpiles do not permit eggs right?  ... Wait... I just discovered the "t" button.

My god my workshops are saturated with goods not in stockpiles.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:38:34 pm »

your welcome, enjoy the chaos
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.