Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limits of water stuff  (Read 1307 times)

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
Limits of water stuff
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:17:45 am »

I was wanting to use water pumps to lift a bunch of water up about 30 (i think, not sure that's an estimate) stories into a resivor of water that would, when full, make a waterfall and stream down one of my two peaks on a volcano (one side has lava, but this side does not and is hallowed out at the top for noble rooms). as extra water overflowed and have this run 24/7.

I don't know if it can be done fast enough to make a good flow of water, but will try it. But this got me thinking, what is the limit of water based awesomeness and tech? Is there really any limit other than FPS? What is the most extreme thing I could do with water?

Once I tried to set up water for defense. The entrance would flood and shove enemies down a moat to drown, but it wasn't strong enough the one time I tried. In the same fort I set it so the meeting room could flood and then drain, and was going to make it an alternate root into the fort to lure in goblins, but never got to use it. I ended up using it at the end to keep fire breathing clowns at bay from LEAVING the fort as I trapped them from behind, keeping them in place (I had several drains and could reverse it really fast if I wanted to as it drained out the sides of the hills).

So I've messed with water for defense, and am trying for awesomeness, but does anyone have any specific ideas of what some really extreme (and practical/scenic) ideas for water could be? Like some really out of the box ideas?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:20:26 pm by jasonwill2 »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Limits of water stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:33:41 am »

I ended up using it at the end to keep fire breathing clowns at bay from LEAVING the fort as I trapped them from behind.

That's quite noble gracious of you.

I once had a defense system like that, it was one of my first fortresses, it was the first ever fortress that ever succeeded, success being a relative term. Long story short the first time I activated it was when I learned that fortifications don't stop water.

I imagine water flowing freely down the side of a volcano is just about as awesome as it gets.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:42:54 am »

I ended up using it at the end to keep fire breathing clowns at bay from LEAVING the fort as I trapped them from behind.

That's quite noble gracious of you.

I once had a defense system like that, it was one of my first fortresses, it was the first ever fortress that ever succeeded, success being a relative term. Long story short the first time I activated it was when I learned that fortifications don't stop water.

I imagine water flowing freely down the side of a volcano is just about as awesome as it gets.

Granted they were trapped in a hallway, and I wanted some !!Fun!!.

On the volcano thing, lost the fort but am reclaiming it... will need some work. Might post it if I ever finish. I've never worked with pumps before though but think I understand.

I've heard of mist generators and clocks and stuff, anything like that which could be useful?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:11:43 pm »

I tend to have as much running water in my forts as I can manage. Between using it for defense, which is fun, and using it to 'clean' the place, I also make sure I have as many wells as I can. Yes, I know booze is better, and I try to have as much of that as I can, but for the early stages when I'm eating as much as I'm brewing, water is essential.

Mist Generators are helpful. For one they clean dorfs helping prevent illnesses, and since they're generated by waterfalls, they'll keep your dorfs happy. Clocks are not useful persay, but once you've finished building one, you'll be hard pressed to think anything other than AWESOME.

Water is basically the kiddie version of Magma. Not that it won't kill you just as fast, (faster more than likely) but it's so enjoyable you won't care.

Two useful tips: Number 1: Floors are not just for the BOTTOM. Use them as roofs as well. Not only will it keep ugly things out of the water supply, namely dead dorfs, but also it prevents overflow.

Number 2: Water based repeaters are the best way to run traps, because you can link them in random patterns to give invaders a hard time.