Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Learned something new today ...  (Read 3789 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Learned something new today ...
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:08:20 pm »

So, we all know, playing near water in winter can be hazardous to your dwarves' health, as the water can suddenly turn into a block of ice, entombing the little drunk until such time as he can be dug out (or the ice thaws and he's gone).

Today, I learned that rain makes this so much more hazardous.  Sigh, sleep well, Tun Sengkulet.  Hopefully I can get your pick back before the spring thaw in a week or so.

[edit] I post this, unpause, and the water immediately thaws.  I guess this was a warming winter than last years ... sigh. Down to one pick.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:10:39 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
Re: Learned something new today ...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:13:33 pm »

Hu? How was rain involved in this? Because usually, only when there is at least 1/7 water in the tile, and rain doesn't put water randomly everywhere, that's restricted to murky pools...
Can you describe how the rain was involved in these tragic events?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:21:28 pm »

The river froze over on about 12 Opal, 999. He was killed on 19 Opal, and the river thawed on 20 Opal.

I immediately designated some of that ice to be channeled out as soon as it froze so I can install the four floodgates I've had sitting in my stockpile for a year now (the other four are already in place just above the waterfall).  After digging out 6 of the 8 designated tiles (a floodgate row, and one to stand in while building the floodgates) he was suddenly encased in ice. It wasn't until I started looking for the other miner that I realized it was raining, and he had, apparently, been (un)lucky enough to have a bit of rain make a 1/7 water appear in the tile he was currently standing in and it that froze immediately despite it not being cold enough for snow instead of rain.  Checking the logs, it started raining on 17 Opal.

[edit] And apparently one of the children went missing the same day. Checking my notes, its Tun son, who was probably with him on the worksite despite being confined to an indoor burrow to prevent being snatched.

This fort has so many problems with it ... *sigh* 
  • No accessable stone
  • thus No accessable metal
  • two z-level deep aquifer, and with my luck three (I haven't quite got to where I can dig down on the second level to check for a third yet)
  • necromancer tower nearby that just killed off one, and injured another, of my six dwarf militia (almost all spearmasters, after a year of sparring, thankfully)
  • very few trees, so i'm not able to buy out the human/dwarf caravan of everything i could use
  • clothes starting to tatter, meaning i'm going to start getting tantrums from that soon, unless i can find a way to get more cloth.
  • probably something else i'm missing
On the bright side, the were-moose apparently turned back into an elf and fled immedately after attacking the Giant White Stork right after it made its appearance.

Damn, but I love this game. :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:28:57 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:33:26 pm »

Hu? How was rain involved in this? Because usually, only when there is at least 1/7 water in the tile, and rain doesn't put water randomly everywhere, that's restricted to murky pools...
It can rain before the thaw comes. In that short window, any rain that hits a murky pool tile and forms 1/7 water will instantly shoot up into a 7/7-equivalent column of ice.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 06:45:50 am »

It can rain before the thaw comes. In that short window, any rain that hits a murky pool tile and forms 1/7 water will instantly shoot up into a 7/7-equivalent column of ice.

This is absolutely terrifying to imagine happening in real life.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:15:47 am »

Wait, doesn't 1/7 water form an ice floor, not a wall?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:47:47 pm »

Wait, doesn't 1/7 water form an ice floor, not a wall?
If that is the case it could have just been a double hit of raindrops in the pool
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]