Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some help getting started with Lets Playing  (Read 2771 times)

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need some help getting started with Lets Playing
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:51:53 am »

I'm pretty sure this is the best place for this thread but who knows for sure.

Anyway for the last month or so I've been off-and-on trying to start up let's playing. Every time I figure out the way to do one thing right another issue crops up that makes me completely hate technology. My current issue involves either recording in such a way that the game (but not microphone) audio lags behind a portion of a second. It is not a huge delay (Less than half a second delay I believe), but it is enough for me that it puts me off of wanting to allow anyone to see the videos ever. I was hoping that some of the established lets players from Bay 12 could share some details of their set up or help me get mine worked out. Lets playing is something I've been wanting to do for ages (to be honest I've done it once before, but stopped because I realized I was producing a horrible product. That is to say I was not recording game sound but simply picking up the loudest parts using my microphone) It has been a long time since then and I have a pretty decent setup I believe.

Computer specs that should affect recording/encoding at all include a 3.3 Intel i5, around 16gigabytes of ram, and a GeForce GTX 550 Ti. I tried to build the computer to have enough processing power and memory to handle recording and encoding rather well.

My current recording setup is using Hypercam 2 for recording and Virtual Audio Cable as a stand-in for Stereo Mix. The thing is VAC is indirectly also causing the audio trouble indirectly. Currently I have two setups for audio I have identified. Create a virtual cable that computer and microphone sound both go into at the same time (Has the issue of my microphone basically echoing) or create a second virtual cable, running my microphone directly to that, and using the 'Audio Repeater' software that came with VAC to duplicate system audio onto this second line. This has the issue though of causing the delay I mentioned above. Neither method is particularly great, and I know that there has to be a better way (I've seen plenty of people record without delays in any of the audio.)

For reference when recording I'm dropping absolutely no frames from Hypercam when I'm recording.

Any help you can offer would be amazing, because right now I've basically run out of options I can think of shot other than recording my microphone separate from the game audio and combining them at encoding. Really would like to save that for a last resort but if I have to then I have to.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:09:21 am by Denzi »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Need some help getting started with Lets Playing
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:16:48 pm »

I assume you've got a computer that doesn't have stereo mix?

I feel your pain. There's something you can buy for 30 bucks or so that simulates stereo mix on computers without it, called VAC. Here's the link.

I've never used them, so I dunno how to set them up, and there may indeed be a free option out there, but that's all I'm aware of at this time.

Unless I misunderstood your question, which seems to happen to me often.  :P

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:09:49 pm »

Thanks for responding Seriyu. Actually that is what I'm using right now. Unfortunately I can't get it to simulate a true stereo mix without audio lag/desyncs of some kind like I mentioned above. Wind up with either an echoing microphone (actually should test that method with my alternative headset, though I have to listen to myself talk with that method) or the game audio gets lagged by half a second or more. Then again I might not be using VAC to it's full potential.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 09:15:11 pm »

Getting video/audio to synch up is a huge pain in the ass if your recording device doesn't do it automatically.

I'd suggest trying Fraps to record your video (You can get a 30 second video on the free version which should be plenty to see if it works).

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:27:29 am »

Have you looked into audacity? I've heard it's pretty amazing for audio editing, and might help out.

Also I just realized the OP mentioned VAC, my bad.  :P

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:32:40 pm »

Not too sure Fraps could help me here Frostshot, what I remember of fraps it did not have a screen recorder option and with what I want to record right now that is what I need (unless fraps can somehow interface with the emulator I'm using, doubt it though)

Also Audacity is what I was planning on using to record my voice if I couldn't get both recorded at once. Looks like that is probably how I'm going to have to do it. Ah well, what is an extra five minutes of post-production anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:24:40 pm »

I am thinking of doing a letsplay of a terrible game I got as a present that is boring and annoying.

What is a good way to take a lot of pictures and have them converted really quickly? my current method would make letsplaying it take forever!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:52:41 am »

As usual, I recommend Greenshot for your screenshot needs. Give it a whirl, it practically does everything but upload the pictures for you, and maybe even that, I'm not sure. S'not like imgur makes that difficult, either.

Thats great! I lack a batch uploader but I am willing to spend the hour required to upload all the images and not the several hours required to take them all without this.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 12:09:56 pm »

I know imgur lets you drag and drop multiple images for uploading, so you might want to give that a try for your uploading.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 01:24:22 pm »

I use ImageShack for my LPs.

What I do is take screen shots for each chapter and number them like ch1-01. Then in my LP I write

Code: [Select]
[img] ch101 [/img]
It helps keep the images straight so you know if your numbering gets crunked.

When I am done with the update I mass upload to ImageShack. Do "optimize without resize" because resizing makes the images several megabytes for some reason.

Anyway, once the upload is moving along I go to my gallery in a separate browser and select the first image. Then I copy the "direct link" over the top of the ch101 (pro tip, leaving out the "-" in MS Word lets you select the whole "ch101" with just a double click).

You can use the "next" button in ImageShack to cycle through your images. If you number them correctly they should upload in exactly the right order.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 06:31:24 pm »

If Greenshot or whatever acts up, I can reccomend Irfanview too. There's a batch resizer in there even, somewhere.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 01:04:21 am »

Tried to get it to work but it seems to REALLY hate my computer (as well Greenshot is EVIL and has either no way to tell it not to start when I start up my computer OR it is just hard to find).

Getting Letsplays up and running is becoming a lot more work then it is worth...

Ohh well back to fumbling around trying to make a point and click and failing again. This time I'll be trying to do the Pixil art!

But truthfully I tried to get it working but so many problems popped up.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:39:22 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:24 pm »

Ok good I found 1/2 of the solution to my issue (apperantly finger gymnastics were involved)

now I just have to find a way to reduce the size of my screens because they take up WAAAY too much room.