Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Dominions 3 PBEM - Round 8 - No Country For Ghandi

(1/101) > >>

Il Palazzo:
The wheel of time has turned again. For the eight time, the pretenders of bay12 stir from their slumber to claim their rightful place as the one and only god.

This one is the time of magic and myths, the Early Age as the future historians will call it.

Game page on llamaserver

Settings:

Name: Bay12GamesRound8

Number of players: 8
Turn time limit: 24h

Era: Early Age
Map: Shadowshore
Mod: Forbidden Friendship 2.1

Indie strength = 6
Magic site frequency = 50(i.e.+5% from the default)
Hall of Fame entries = 15
Renaming is on
(the rest is unchanged from the default setting)

Roleplaying is optional but always welcome.

Players:

Yomi, Oni Kings - Il Palazzo
Hinnom, Sons of the Fallen - Karlito
Mictlan, Reign of Blood - Shadowgandor R.I.P.
Caelum, Eagle Kings - Bluerobin
C'tis, Lizard Kings - Korbac
Pangea, Age of Revelry - puntocom R.I.P.
Agartha, Pale Ones - TempAcc A.I.
Ermor, New Faith - Boksi R.I.P.

Previous rounds: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7&7.5

Spoiler: Standard info on Dominions 3 for the uninitiated (click to show/hide)Dominions 3 is a (surprise!) third installment of a fantasy turn-based strategy games series.
It's main features are immense complexity, simultainous turn resolution, and myriads of customisation options.

The players assume roles of pretender gods, fighting to take up the throne of Pantokrator(or All-Ruler).

Each pretender god leads one of dozens different nation, based on various mythological concepts: there are Jotun giants and Vans from Norse myths, ape-like demons of Lanka, Hellenic Arcoscephale, merpeople of Atlantis, cthulhu myths-based Ry'leh, Hebrew Ashdod, and many more.

Pretenders are designed based on one of the preselected chassis, like the Manticore, a Dragon, lich, stone monolith, or titan. Their dominion's influence can be adjusted to create e.g.peaceful, warm and magical lands under their rule.

There is a very robust magic system, with literally hundreds of spells, ranging from in-battle lightening bolts to world altering doom bringers.

Every unit in the sometimes hundreds-strong armies has individual stats, including age, battle wounds and experience.

Commanders, mages, heroes, priests, magical beasts and pretender gods can be equipped with magical items and sent to battle personally, assasinate or seduce enemy commanders, spy and instigate unrest, cast supporting or combat spells, or left at home and work on improving magical knowledge, build fortifications, summon magic beings, raise undead, forge items, hunt for blood slaves, preach god's influence, patrol provinces, search for magic sites in the wild and more.

Battles are resolved automatically, according to the preselected orders for troop formations and commanders.
Here's a youtube video of a large-ish battle to pique your interest. Courtesy of Lorak.

All of you curious people can go and visit the website for more info. You'll notice that the price tag is seriously hefty, but as many of us players can attest, the game is well worth it.
Spoiler: How does MP work? (click to show/hide)First of all, you need to download the map and the mod(links will be provided after we decide on which one to use), and put the files into the map and mod folders of your dom3 installation respectively.
Then go to the options menu and enable the mod.
Next use the pretender creation tool in the game tools menu to create a pretender and send the file(to be found in your /dominions3/savedgames/newlords; named <your_nation_era_number.2h>, where number is most likely "0" if it's the only pretender you've created so far for this nation.) to "pretenders [at ] llamaserver [dot ] net" with the game name as the subject.
Game name is "Bay12GamesRound8".

You'll be recieiving .trn files from llama server, which you shoud put into a {dom3dir}/savedgames/{whatevernameyouwant}/
After finishing your moves, a new .2h file will appear in that folder, which you should send to the same address from which you've recieved your .trn file.

Regarding the rules of conduct:
- no exploits please. Examples of exploits are siegeing a fort infinitely with a string of scouts; sending other players crap items to fill their magic item pool and make them waste gems; anything else you can think of that doesn't feel like it was meant to be a feature. If not sure, ask.
- trade agreements are sacred. Once you decided to exchange some gems/items/gold, you MUST fulfill your side of the agreement.
- no constrains on diplomacy. You can attack anyone you want, with or without warning. It would be, however, in good taste not to rush another player at the very begining of the game. We're all trying to have a good time playing this.
- use forum PMs for diplomacy. The in-game messaging system is seriously flawed(unacceptably slow, and parts of messages tend to dissapear)
- if you want to boast/moan about your progress(or lack thereof) in game, feel free to use this thread to post your screenshots, stories and whatnot.

Useful links:
The wiki, with loads of useful information, including strategy guides. Keep in mind that as a unit/spell/item reference might not be compatibile with modded game data.

Llama Server, which is the automatic hosting server for our game.
Llama Server's map and mod browser

Karlito:
My vote is for Early Age as well, since I'd like to try out Hinnom(nomnomnom). Dawn of Dominions is neat, but our map choice will probably mostly be limited by the number of willing players.  There's other large flavorful maps with less restrictive nation choices if we get enough players. I'd rather not have any AI nations: they're predictable, fairly easy to defeat (especially in the later stages of the game), and can't be negotiated with.

I'm certainly in the mood for something more relaxed this round. CBM and a wrap-around map made for a solid competitive experience, but Boski and I teamed up and pretty much flattened everyone else, so it wasn't terribly fun. I don't really have any experience with any of the other listed mods, though I'm going to play around with the Awesome mods a bit.

Shadowgandor:
I know I've played with you in the past and didn't finish it, but I'd like to give it another try. Summer vacation has started so I should have more then enough time ^^
I don't really mind which map, though I'd rather have one that didn't limit the nations.
I'd be playing as either Niefelheim or Mictlan, so in case of Dawn of Dominions, it'd be Mictlan ^^

Bluerobin:
I'd like to be part of this round. EA sounds good, I'd opt for Caelum. A map with some flavor would be really nice, but that's offset by the fact that AI isn't awesome to play with, so we'd need to make sure the slots get filled. As far as mods, I'd really like to play with at least the AwesomeGods mod. All three of the options you have there include it and Dominions Enhanced is my personal favorite because the mod author's main goal has been to give every unit a purpose and a reason to be used. Also, a 15 slot Hall of Fame can be nice.

Cthulhu:
I'm baaaack!

I might join.  Probably Mictlan or Fomoria, if it's early age.  I haven't tried any of the mods except CBM.  I remember CBM making some of the extra gem items unique which bugged the hell out of me because I was Mictlan and gotta get more slaves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version