Poll

Should the game be declared finished?

Aye!
- 5 (100%)
Nay!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: Dominions 3 PBEM - Round 8 - No Country For Ghandi  (Read 44912 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Dominions 3 PBEM - Round 8 - No Country For Ghandi
« on: June 25, 2012, 07:55:46 am »

The wheel of time has turned again. For the eight time, the pretenders of bay12 stir from their slumber to claim their rightful place as the one and only god.

This one is the time of magic and myths, the Early Age as the future historians will call it.

Game page on llamaserver

Settings:

Name: Bay12GamesRound8

Number of players: 8
Turn time limit: 24h

Era: Early Age
Map: Shadowshore
Mod: Forbidden Friendship 2.1

Indie strength = 6
Magic site frequency = 50(i.e.+5% from the default)
Hall of Fame entries = 15
Renaming is on
(the rest is unchanged from the default setting)

Roleplaying is optional but always welcome.

Players:

Yomi, Oni Kings - Il Palazzo
Hinnom, Sons of the Fallen - Karlito
Mictlan, Reign of Blood - Shadowgandor R.I.P.
Caelum, Eagle Kings - Bluerobin
C'tis, Lizard Kings - Korbac
Pangea, Age of Revelry - puntocom R.I.P.
Agartha, Pale Ones - TempAcc A.I.
Ermor, New Faith - Boksi R.I.P.

Previous rounds: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7&7.5

Spoiler: How does MP work? (click to show/hide)

Useful links:
The wiki, with loads of useful information, including strategy guides. Keep in mind that as a unit/spell/item reference might not be compatibile with modded game data.

Llama Server, which is the automatic hosting server for our game.
Llama Server's map and mod browser
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:09:19 pm by Il Palazzo »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3 PBEM - Round 8 - Prospective gods to apply within
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:20:42 am »

My vote is for Early Age as well, since I'd like to try out Hinnom(nomnomnom). Dawn of Dominions is neat, but our map choice will probably mostly be limited by the number of willing players.  There's other large flavorful maps with less restrictive nation choices if we get enough players. I'd rather not have any AI nations: they're predictable, fairly easy to defeat (especially in the later stages of the game), and can't be negotiated with.

I'm certainly in the mood for something more relaxed this round. CBM and a wrap-around map made for a solid competitive experience, but Boski and I teamed up and pretty much flattened everyone else, so it wasn't terribly fun. I don't really have any experience with any of the other listed mods, though I'm going to play around with the Awesome mods a bit.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 10:21:21 am »

I know I've played with you in the past and didn't finish it, but I'd like to give it another try. Summer vacation has started so I should have more then enough time ^^
I don't really mind which map, though I'd rather have one that didn't limit the nations.
I'd be playing as either Niefelheim or Mictlan, so in case of Dawn of Dominions, it'd be Mictlan ^^

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 12:33:44 pm »

I'd like to be part of this round. EA sounds good, I'd opt for Caelum. A map with some flavor would be really nice, but that's offset by the fact that AI isn't awesome to play with, so we'd need to make sure the slots get filled. As far as mods, I'd really like to play with at least the AwesomeGods mod. All three of the options you have there include it and Dominions Enhanced is my personal favorite because the mod author's main goal has been to give every unit a purpose and a reason to be used. Also, a 15 slot Hall of Fame can be nice.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:48:59 pm »

I'm baaaack!

I might join.  Probably Mictlan or Fomoria, if it's early age.  I haven't tried any of the mods except CBM.  I remember CBM making some of the extra gem items unique which bugged the hell out of me because I was Mictlan and gotta get more slaves.
Shoes...

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 03:04:32 pm »

I'm totally down with the trumpets here. Any nation's fine. :)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 03:24:58 pm »

I remember CBM making some of the extra gem items unique which bugged the hell out of me because I was Mictlan and gotta get more slaves.
I think gem gens are unique in most mods, although that might not be what you're talking about because I don't remember a slave generator. Then again I basically never play blood nations. I like gem gens being unique just because I really hate the micromanagement they take and this forces other people to play my way. ;)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

puntocom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 04:46:00 pm »

Hello!

I played here in the past (I think that was round 4?), and since then, i've only played a few games,so I'm just as bad as then :D.

If that's ok, I would play this time.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 04:58:09 pm »

Looks like we've got seven players in as of this post. We'll wait some more.

I remember CBM making some of the extra gem items unique which bugged the hell out of me because I was Mictlan and gotta get more slaves.
I think gem gens are unique in most mods, although that might not be what you're talking about because I don't remember a slave generator. Then again I basically never play blood nations. I like gem gens being unique just because I really hate the micromanagement they take and this forces other people to play my way. ;)
I'm also not very fond of the non-unique gem generators. That's also one of the reasons I'd be for using one of the following mods(which I assume all have that feature modded away - correct me if I'm wrong):

Forbidden Friendship 2.1
Other People's Mods v.4
[download links for both here: http://www.proactiveapathy.com/dom3/mods/mods.html]
Dominions Enchanced 0.13
[download link here: https://sites.google.com/site/dominionsenhancedmod/home/dominionsenhanced_alpha_0_13.zip?attredirects=0&d=1]

Frankly, I don't understand the differences between these, and I'm not sure I'll have the time to investigate them further. I think these are all some combinations of CBM and Awesome Mods.
If nobody is especially devoted to having any particular one over the others, I'd propose as a working option Dominions Enchanced.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 05:28:10 pm »

I'm willing to participate as soon as I get these mods togheder, altough I'd prefer late age, since I'm not too much of an early age player, but early is fine with me. I'm fine with abysia, atlantis or yomiOh right, erm, Arconcephale, Agartha and Ermor are all ok with me.
I'm pretty ok with dawn of dominions, but if we can't use it, I'd sugest the slightly less fluffy shadowshore

Once its stablished everything we'll use and stuff, I'll design my pretender. I'm really sad for not being able to play hinnom though, I'm reading paradise lost now and its all AWESOME FALLEN ANGELS AND ADAMANTINE CHAINS EVERYWHERE.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:37:43 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 05:59:55 pm »

Shadowshore is exactly what Karlito suggested earlier. It is also quite possible we'll end up playing on that map, considering how unlikely it seems for us to gather exactly 12 players willing to play exactly those nations required by DoD.

So you'll probably be allowed to pick abysia or atlantis(but yomi is taken by that Il Palazzo guy).

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 06:11:43 pm »

:C
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 04:52:33 am »

I probably could join this game too. Preferred nations are Agartha, Ermor and Tir na n'Og, although my exact order of preference depends on the mod.

EDIT: By the way, I'd prefer to play Forbidden Friendship.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:50:51 am by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 07:46:00 am »

You mean the Sanguine Dousing rod? If that wasn't unique in the current Round 7.5, my slave income would probably be more than doubled and I'd be able to drown the world in a sea of demons, and even though that's fun, it's overpowered as heck.

So I ended up playing Dominion's Enhanced a bit. It has some interesting ideas, like allowing you to 'hire' (summon) mages with additional paths for forging and rituals (as a construction 6 spell), but don't have any magic paths on the battlefield. It's not as polished as CBM, but that's probably to be expected (there's a few new path boosters that, for example, cost 10 earth gems and 5 earth gems to make), but it looks like there's a lot of new endgame spells that I haven't gotten around to trying yet, but I'll let you know.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 09:46:12 am »

Oh the Sanguine Dowsing rod isn't unique in Dominions Enhanced and I haven't played a blood nation in CBM, so that didn't occur to me. The guy doing Dominions Enhanced it trying to balance boosters by increasing their costs, like you noticed. I think the weirdness in the appearance of the cost is because if an item requires A1 it costs 5 air gems automatically, so to double the cost of an A1 item you have to make it require A1 twice, which makes the cost say that it requires 5 air gems and 5 air gems (or 10 total).

I need to have a look at Forbidden Friendship and see if I can still use the strategy I've been thinking about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34