Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arrrg!! Hauling problems  (Read 3320 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arrrg!! Hauling problems
« on: July 08, 2012, 02:33:13 pm »

I've spent a couple weeks now playing DF2012 and many of the changes from the last version are wonderful updates and improvements.  But things aren't perfect.

Hauling and storing items absolutely sucks!  I have meat spoiling in my burchery, which is immediately adjacent to a kitchen and a food stock pile.  I have masterwork meals rotting in my kitchen, again right next to a stockpile.  I have food sitting in a stockpile without being stored in barrels and a barrel stockpile overflowing.  I have vermin remains all over the place.  I have spent bolts and seeds and other garbage scattered everywhere (yes my (o)rders are set correctly.

And none of this spawns job orders.  That's the kicker.  I have a pretty well employed work force.  But there aren't tasks not getting done, there are tasks not get...generated.  I've had a dozen "No Job-ers" with no improvement.

Is this a poor set-up or a mistake on my part?  Is this just part of the improved hauling system?  If the latter ARRRG!!!  I can deal with the funkiness of bins being carried.  I can deal with cancellation spam.  But the inability to get jobs started makes me angry.

That is all.

/Rant
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Arrrg!! Hauling problems
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:43:45 pm »

Try designating some more food stockpile and see if they start to fill it. Then your problem is simply that you don't have enough room. Also note that barrels have a limit on how much they can hold (I know the limit used to be 10 but I don't know if it changed with the hauling rewrite). Anything over that limit (such as a large amount of prepared meals) will be unable to fit in a barrel and instead must be placed on the ground of a food stockpile. Lastly have you accidentally set your food stockpile to "take only from links"? If so then that would explain why your dwarves aren't collecting from elsewhere.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:12:11 pm »

I'm guessing the "give to X" and "take from X" orders are blocking things.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 04:19:04 pm »

I've spent a couple weeks now playing DF2012 and many of the changes from the last version are wonderful updates and improvements.  But things aren't perfect.

Hauling and storing items absolutely sucks!  I have meat spoiling in my burchery, which is immediately adjacent to a kitchen and a food stock pile.  I have masterwork meals rotting in my kitchen, again right next to a stockpile.  I have food sitting in a stockpile without being stored in barrels and a barrel stockpile overflowing.  I have vermin remains all over the place.  I have spent bolts and seeds and other garbage scattered everywhere (yes my (o)rders are set correctly.

And none of this spawns job orders.  That's the kicker.  I have a pretty well employed work force.  But there aren't tasks not getting done, there are tasks not get...generated.  I've had a dozen "No Job-ers" with no improvement.

Is this a poor set-up or a mistake on my part?  Is this just part of the improved hauling system?  If the latter ARRRG!!!  I can deal with the funkiness of bins being carried.  I can deal with cancellation spam.  But the inability to get jobs started makes me angry.

That is all.

/Rant

I'm not having problems like that, and I haven't read anyone else rant about stuff like that, so it's either that you, and only you, have some weird bug preventing some hauling jobs being created (are they hauling non-food items, etc. at all?), or your setup has something seriously wrong. Could be as simple as a couple of wrongly-set take only from X links. You really need to provide more information (upload save?) to get more specific help.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »

I'm kinda glad it's just me.  So, more information...

Food stockpile is not full but plenty of extra spots.  Taking and giving is something I rarely use.  I have my food stockpile set to take from kitchen and butchery (I'll try setting it to take from the barrel stockpile ( a stockpile for empty barrels)).  All stockpiles are set to take from anywhere in addition to any taking orders.

I'll try these things as well as another food stockpile.

I'd upload a saving, but I "don't know how that works."
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 05:00:54 pm »

I'm kinda glad it's just me.  So, more information...

Food stockpile is not full but plenty of extra spots.  Taking and giving is something I rarely use.  I have my food stockpile set to take from kitchen and butchery (I'll try setting it to take from the barrel stockpile ( a stockpile for empty barrels)).  All stockpiles are set to take from anywhere in addition to any taking orders.

I'll try these things as well as another food stockpile.

I'd upload a saving, but I "don't know how that works."

If it's something that you rarely use, why do you then have take links on something that usually works so well without, i.e. the food stockpile? If there's space in the stockpile, and you haven't accidentally e.g. blocked all sub-categories in food or disabled food hauling off everyone, stuff should get hauled into the food stockpile at least, just not necessarily get stored into barrels.

As for uploading saves, make an account here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/ . Then take your save (zip the region1 folder, or whatever the number is or you've renamed it to), upload it to there. Then give us a link to the file listing, so someone can check it out.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 05:21:26 pm »

If it's something that you rarely use, why do you then have take links on something that usually works so well without, i.e. the food stockpile?

I linked it only when I started having issues. 

It's not just the food pile.  I have a forest cut down outside, an empty wood stockpile and 1 wood hauling labor in the job list.  A bunch of little stuff like that.

Thanks for the info on uploading.  I mostly wanted to vent a little.  Things have...gotten better.  Don't know if fixed or not.  If the mega food waste happens again, I'll post a save file.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 06:22:10 pm »

How many wheelbarrows are set for the wood stockpile?  I'm going to guess one since you only have a single "put wood in stockpile" job queued.  Apparently, setting the wheelbarrow count to zero means any number of dwarves can haul to it at once, but a value greater than zero means only that many jobs can be active at once (one per wheelbarrow).

Are wheelbarrows active on your food stockpile, but there is no wheelbarrow for that stockpile?  That could also cause this, I think.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 06:25:37 pm »

I love you!!!  :o

I think this is it!  May your wife's beard ever grow long!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 07:36:56 pm »

I love you!!!  :o

I think this is it!  May your wife's beard ever grow long!
I'll let her know of your blessing. ;)

[edit] She rolled her eyes at me and said, "Thanks, but pass!"  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:39:54 pm by krenshala »