Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Most efficient way to get leather? 1 breed or many?  (Read 4294 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Most efficient way to get leather? 1 breed or many?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 05:03:07 am »

Cave crocs also need modding to produce anything useable for your leatherworkers; scale is not a valid material for tanning.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 10:00:52 am »

1. Install DFHack.
2. Get turkeys.
3. Install nest boxes.
4. Designate 1x1 pasture zones above each box.
5. Use "autonestbox"
6. Lock the door.
7. Wait until poults hatch.
8. Cage them.
9. Wait until poults mature.
10. Set autobutcher to monitor the population of turkeys, leaving 95%+ females.
11. When butchering ceases turn off autobutchering.
12. Repeat steps 5-11 as needed to generate leather. Farm eggs in the meantime.

That method is what I use. It's probably not the most efficient method, but since eggs hatching can put you well across the pop cap, you could perform this trick with multiple bird varieties, so long as they are large enough to provide leather when grown. (Ducks and Guineafowl do not.) Peacocks and geese mature faster than turkeys (2x) so if sped is important, best to start with those.

Otherwise, I'll second the "order all types of leather from caravan and buy it" method. You can't compete with that much leather.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:04:23 am by Nameless Archon »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 12:25:02 pm »

Cave crocs also need modding to produce anything useable for your leatherworkers; scale is not a valid material for tanning.
Ah, so that is why I wasn't able to make alligator boots after killing the crocodile that attacked the starting seven on 1 Granite!  I was mildly annoyed by that, especially when Fikod died of dehydration due to her injuries (everyone else was busy hauling things underground, and failed to provide her with more water).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 09:14:12 pm »

Is the cap 50 in the init files? I can't find it. In fact I want to lower it to about 10, so I can breed many species without worrying  about puppysplosion.
Pages: 1 [2]