Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - With mods you can now Coop and PvP!  (Read 16567 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (It's not my fault everyone has the cancer!)
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2019, 06:21:41 pm »

Kinda in the same boat here. Tho I want to add that  I tend to consider emblems for prosthethics use exclusively for the most part, mostly because they're way more versatile and situationally useful than simply more damage which I can always get for free with regular attacks and usually as a consequence of the utility the prosthetics provide.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2019, 08:45:54 pm »

Spoiler: True Monk (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:55:13 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2019, 09:38:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2019, 04:00:15 am »

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 04:36:12 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2019, 01:49:05 pm »

Spoiler: On fountainhead (click to show/hide)

I'm guessing I'm in the final stretch of the game now, missing the final prayer bead (that is if there isn't more than 10, which could be a possibility) so I don't think there's many bosses left for me. I also somehow have 5k gold and I'm not entirely sure where that came from :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2019, 03:08:27 am »

Spoiler: Demon of Hatred (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 03:26:17 am by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2019, 12:54:25 am »

Spoiler: Final boss (click to show/hide)

Man, what a meal of a game. I'm stuffed. Maybe it's not as vast or as deep mechanically or in terms of content like Dark Souls, but for a SP action game it was more than I could have asked for. Great setting and level design, variety in play styles (sort of), meaty engaging combat where I couldn't wait to see what new enemy or boss I had to take on, epic and cinematic fights against badass creatures and opponents, enough mechanics and RPG-ness to satisfy without bogging things down. Plenty of exploration, discovery and mystery to keep you guessing and checking and revisiting. All wrapped up in From Soft's kind of signature vision of difficulty and challenge.

While I love the world and setting and the delivery of those things, I can't really say I was a fan of the story. In some ways it was cool and I appreciate Japanese culture and myth to a degree, but it felt a little out there at times and meandering despite being a more straightforward story than "Seek Souls", etc....In some ways I think straight narratives are one of From Soft's weaknesses. Their characters say less than more and it's a very effective technique for some of their stuff. Other times it's a little too airy and distant though. The story of Sekiro did its job in supporting the game and the world, but I won't be watching any lore videos on it like I was with Dark Souls. It's just honestly not as interesting to me. Like, Buddhist temples full of corrupted monks and a palace of half human immortal nobles? Cool! Starchy Japanese fuedal drama mixed in with mythological power and immortality and parasites....maybe not so much.

Taken as a whole, I don't know if it's my favorite recent From Soft game. That first Dark Souls experience is hard to top. But in terms of my engagement with the combat, it blows Dark Souls out of the water. Sekiro manages to feel constrictive where Dark Souls felt open, and flexible where Dark Souls felt rigid. If that makes any sense. Combat in Sekiro wants to be played a certain way, highly aggressive with on point timing. You can get away with not doing that but you will struggle. Versus Dark Souls which basically said "here's this kind of challenge, how you go about beating it is up to you and your tastes." But where Dark Souls would be like "haha I'm going to drop your slow ass in a small room with a bunch of enemies, have fun panic rolling", Sekiro gives you the speed and mobility and usually the space, then asks you to do the most with those things that you can.

I think it's a harder game than the Soulsborne series because everything happens faster and demands active engagement for the best results. You can rarely wait guys out. You can rarely just avoid until you get a safe moment. You have to take risks and bank on your reflexes if you don't want every enemy to be a life or death struggle. Once you realize these things you start to think "maybe it's not so hard after all", until you find that enemy that you struggle to deflect consistently, or whose attacks you just don't understand. And when you finally get everything the game could throw at you, then it goes "Ok, bring it all together and do it consistently." It asks more of the player in combat than Dark Souls ever has, while streamlining all the other experiences so they ask less. Less farming, less understanding, less traveling....and for the kind of game Sekiro is, that all works.

Only question I have now is...what will From Soft do next? I imagine some DLCs aren't out of the question for Sekiro (like, this is the first time I've actively wanted some DLC skins. So many cool looking dudes in Sekiro and the main character goes on looking like a homeless Japanese man that just rolled out of your fireplace.) It's weird to already be wanting another game from them where I went a long time enjoying Dark Souls games without feeling the need for another. And as I clearly said above, Sekiro felt like a meal of a game. But it feels like a stepping stone to something else for them. I sort of wonder if the whole:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Isn't some kind of oblique reference to the Soulsborne series, that they're really truly getting away from it and Sekiro is the first sign of that. But who knows. I'd be tickled pink to get another big Dark Souls game with the combat and action sensibilities of Sekiro blended in to make it more exciting and slightly less cludgy. I watch a lot of Dark Souls PvP and feel like players have gone as far as they can with that design. Would be great to see this kind of amazing, meaty, visceral dueling action in another Soulsborne game.

Anyways....From Soft does it again in my book. Christ, between Tenchu, Armored Core, Kingsfield, Dark Souls, Bloodborne and now Sekiro....I don't think there's a game they've made that I played that I didn't love. Sekiro is a good reminder that SP games rule too when they're done well and thoughtfully. It's a sexy as hell Tenchu for the modern age, and I more than got my money's worth out of it. Actually looking forward to another playthrough soon. (After I gorge on the wiki.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:37:06 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The absolute mad lads of the internet have done it again.

Full coop in Sekiro as well as PvP invasions.

Obviously, it will be a long time before the mod is polished but......well the results speak for themselves. I don't think Coop in Sekiro will actually be that great, none of it is even remotely balanced for coop. But it will be fun as hell to play the game through with friends, none the less.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - With mods you can now Coop and PvP!
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2021, 07:00:49 pm »

So I fired this back up again. I'd always been planning on doing a full NG+ run, and the outfits and Gauntlets of Strength were additional motivation to do so. With Elden Ring nearing and being inspired by a boss video I saw, I decided to get ready for Elden Ring by beating Sekiro again. I've played DS3 to death at this point.

Previously, pre-<Of Strength> patch, I had beaten the game but not started New Game+.

When the patch dropped, I saw I needed to be in New Game+ to get awarded my first outfit for beating the game once. So I did that. Outfit looked dope. But I wasn't ready to start playing yet so I set it aside.

Yesterday I got ready to start on my NG+....but something was off.

I checked the travel menu and EVERYTHING was unlocked. Curious, I thought, I coulda sworn I started NG+....and I have the outfit. So I must have. But if I DIDN'T, the NG+ should be at the Shrine at the Dilapidated Temple.

But there was no option.

I start Googling. People report other oddities with their NG+ starts that don't quite match mine. But several people reporting that they can't find the option at the Dilapidated Temple Shrine, and are generally just told "Go to the Shrine it'll be there" by people on reddit, and that seemed to be the final word.

With no other options, I pick a random shrine and just go. I teleport successfully. I decide to teleport back to the DT Shrine, maybe that'll knock something loose. As I sit at the Shrine to teleport....I get the "SHRINE DISCOVERED" banner across my screen. Ruh-roh raggy.

In my Google searches I noticed someone mention a Shrine in Ashina Depths that, when teleported to, either "Corrected" their NG+ run or broke it, I can't remember which.

I pick a random shrine in the area and teleport. Game immediately CTDs. :|

Kinda classic From Soft actually. Make a game, introduce a patch well after release or with a DLC, fix 1 or 2 things and then never touch it again despite game breaking bugs still being present.

So my first Sekiro save is trashed and I had to start the game over. MIYAZAKI!!!! *shakes fist*

If you're looking to revisit your Sekiro save game for a NG+ at some point, just be advised: bugs abound. It goes to From Soft's scripting tendencies that you can end up in in a broken NG+ but it actually works and plays....until you hit some part of scripting that just completely shits the bed.

Cool story bro, I know.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:11:08 pm by nenjin »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2021, 12:19:54 am »

Also looking forward to Elden Ring's release although I wouldn't say I'm a huge Dark Souls fan like most. Picked the game up on sale recently and been playing it. It's certainly different from typical Souls but there's definitely some of its DNA in there and they even have the same 'enemy died' sound effect.

Personally I had a huge issue actually getting the damn game to recognize my controller. I ended up having to download some kind of hack in order to get it to work, but at least it's working.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2021, 10:44:50 am »

Yeah a lot of people reported that. I didn't have any problem with my 360 Controller.

Also.....current me is wondering how past me got through this game. I must have died 20 times just to the first Ninja in Hirata Estates, the non-deathblow version of it. Those fucking kicks, which you should be able to block and deflect, just suck away your posture immediately and aren't even worth attempting to stay in range of. Overall, I had to remember, again, that Sekiro wants to be played a certain way. You have to be aggressive and you have to play close, or the enemy will just continually spam you with attacks. Simply waiting out all their attacks for deflects to eventually posture break them doesn't really work against most bosses. You have to get some damage in their so their posture doesn't regenerate as fast and can actually be reduced.

Also also....I swear they did something with Posture loss on the player. It feels more extreme on my first playthrough than I remember it being, at least against bosses. I remember not really needing to perfect every deflect on their attack. I remember being fairly sloppy with it. This time around I feel like I'm getting posture broken a lot more often than I remember.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2021, 10:04:17 pm »

Snake-Eyes Shirahagi down, 1st try, no revives. No tools, just sword play, most of my Estus and a few Shadowthrusts.

Damn it feels good to be gangsta.

After a really rough reintroduction to Sekiro, I'm moving through the game pretty quickly now. Downed most bosses and mini-bosses in less than 4 tries, and many of them my first try. Genichiro in 3. I'd say I'm a little better prepared and appropriately powered up this playthrough, I did things a little out of order my first time playing which definitely made the game harder.

But yeah. I just stayed in her face and kept attacking her, blocking her 3 hit response and dodging the grab, then going right back in. Crazy how you can go from struggling that much to just rolling over them.

-Edit-

And the Filthy Ape down first try with no rezzes. Took everything ELSE I had but I guess that's what consumables are for. If I can beat Demon of Hatred on my first try I'm going to be feeling quite pleased with myself.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 12:06:55 am by nenjin »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2021, 07:54:41 pm »

Just beat the final boss. Pretty sure it took me less tries than the 'endgame boss' at Hirata Estate. (E: not that he was easy, mind you)

Now I can move on to do other stuff for now. Don't feel like getting all the cheevos right now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 07:57:38 pm by Ozyton »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2021, 04:31:10 pm »

Beat the final boss too.

DoH took me about 15 tries. Which, all in all, I'm not too terribly unhappy with.

Ishinn took me about 20 or 25 tries.

Really the issue with both these bosses IMO is that the camera and handling of the game at crucial moments kinda blows.

DoH has this stomp he executes with his right foot. Because it's DoH, you HAVE to play right up in his grille. But with this stomp attack, due to the angle of the camera, pretty much every direction you dodge EXCEPT backwards TWICE results in you getting hit. For a hit that does 30 to 40% of your life, that he does constantly, that's pretty obnoxious.

With Ishinn, it's less one attack than some core mechanics just not working at the worst times. The Lightning Counter just doesn't want to work 50% of the time. You can't see shit while it's happening so it's hard to know what timing mark you may or may not be missing. Sometimes I'd catch it and just...fail to launch it? Even though I'm hitting R1. Other times I'd just fail to catch it for...reasons?! Or the Mikiri Counter deciding, nah, I'm going to dodge instead. Or the jump headstomp just sliding down Ishinn instead of properly connecting. Little things like that in the Ishinn fight put you on the back foot and then he just runs you down, and resulted in a ton of deaths for me.

Still though, enjoyed my playthrough. Going to make some runs at the GoS and see how much I feel like faffing around in NG+.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2021, 02:47:30 pm »

Lol. Wow. Inner Genichiro on the first Gauntlet of Strength is a completely different deal than him in the rest of the game. He killed me in about 10 seconds flat.

I watched some videos and, if aggression is the name of the game so Sekiro is not a complete shit fest during boss fights.....GoS end bosses require aggression x10. If they start up in a combo you're pretty much dead. They pressure you like crazy so there are very few moments where it's actually safe to heal.

I dunno if I have the patience for this. Two standard boss fights before fighting this one means the learning curve is going to be brutal. I get that's what these challenges are for but I dunno if I'm that hungry for it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 03:07:24 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]