Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Exanima - physics based RPG in a dungeon  (Read 3563 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Exanima - physics based RPG in a dungeon
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 09:56:19 am »

Axes can be pretty brutal. They do massive damage to lightly armored areas, and have decent armor penetration. I find them to be pretty good in the mid-tier realm of fights before everyone has full plate on.
I've had a duel wielding axe guy just maul everyone that I came across in the novice and adept level arena fights.
And my current arena group has an NPC with a two handed axe who is quite reliable at taking people out.

No idea how good they are in the dungeon, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 01:55:50 pm »

I think they're a good middle ground between blunt and slashing weapons for fighting both armored and unarmored.  Their problem is you have to be really precise with them.  If you don't land your hit with proper leverage on the cutting edge of that axe head, it does very little.  So they require more attention to distance and footwork than all the other weapons.  Even something like a polehammer will have enough weight to it to matter if you hit with the shaft instead of the hammer head.  Not so much with an axe.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 02:36:13 pm »

Has anyone here played both this and Hammerfight? I'm wondering if the "feel" of swinging around weapons is similar between the two.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 06:00:18 pm »

Hmm...not in a long time. Though I think the skills kind of translate?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 08:21:11 pm »

As far as armor penetration goes I have a hard time getting an axe to go through even leather, guess they're not for me.

Has anyone here played both this and Hammerfight? I'm wondering if the "feel" of swinging around weapons is similar between the two.
Sort of not really? One is 2D and involves spinning a lot whereas the other is not and does not. Though anything that involves moving your mouse to control a weapon is at least vaguely similar.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 10:37:21 pm »

I mentioned in the OP that I didn't really know how people controlled the height of their swings but I think I'm beginning to grasp the shape of it. Somehow I never realised that you don't have to be facing your opponent in order to hit them, so there's a whole bag of tricks in keeping your opponent on one side of you so you can either hit them with the start of an attack or the end of one. Kind of like the sort of shit people get up to in games like Chivalry, but a little less stupid looking. Interesting stuff anywho.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2020, 10:01:51 am »

Not particularly? In Exanima you click and hold to make your guy attack towards where your cursor is pointing rather than manually swing. You can influence momentum a bit by moving the mouse around (rotating the character), but that's more of an optional bonus with its own downsides than a primary control method. And when you're not attacking, your character automatically attempts to block incoming attacks. So it's a lot less manual and more automated than Hammerfight, but still very physics based.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2020, 11:01:53 am »

Ah, you don't get to waggle your stick manually? Disappointing.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2021, 12:10:10 am »

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/362490/view/5612046175808103528

Examina 0.8.3 has been released. Woo. A lot of this stuff has been available in the beta branch for some time but now it's official. The abridged version of the update is as follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's not force thaumaturgy or a new story level, but the changes to the arena are quite enjoyable. Mephansteras should be pretty happy.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:39:25 am by Fire and Glory »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2021, 11:39:19 am »

Yeah, I'm looking forward to checking out the new update this week!
Come play Mafia with us!

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2021, 03:54:16 am »

Of the new proc gen weapons, I have to say some of my favorites are the one handed hatchets and axes. Before they always felt weak and difficult to use, whereas these new ones are right choppy and feel powerful as an ax should. It's enough to make you want to raid an English monastery or two.
Pages: 1 [2]