Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 235929 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #1290 on: January 18, 2018, 05:08:54 pm »

The most recent thing isn't a quest though. Its just in the quest category because they don't have a cutscene one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: January 18, 2018, 05:26:14 pm »

It had a meta impact on the story. That to me is a quest, even if the quest was "walk down this boring ass series of corridors for 4 minutes before we give you a cutscene." And I mean, having to build your personal quarters segment so you can have a cutscene that advances the storyline might as well be a quest.

Not that actual quests have sometimes been any better.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: January 18, 2018, 08:07:58 pm »

Now that you mention it, were any of the child voice actors the developers kids? I noticed at some point they started using more child voice acting and I suspect that's the reason why.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: January 18, 2018, 11:26:42 pm »

I like the Operators. Their actual mechanics.... eeehhhhh.

I feel like it'd have been fine for them to serve as The Lotus' mission control replacement, and maybe show up in certain non-combat walkarounds. I just really don't see why slow-moving, fragile kids would walk into combat when they have a remote-controlled power armor that could do that already.

Just make them space barbies.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: January 19, 2018, 01:19:00 am »

I just really don't see why slow-moving, fragile kids would walk into combat when they have a remote-controlled power armor that could do that already.

As a Warframe rampages through the Grineer Sealab, a daring Flameblade engages his short-range teleportation engine to blink out of existence and reappear an instant later right behind the frame. The Flameblade sinks his Basolk into the frame's back, but strangely the blade penetrated almost too easily. Ripping the Basolk out with a yank, the Flameblade is mystified to see that the frame is a hollow shell, with no operator inside. Void energy crackles behind the Flameblade, and a Tenno emerges, the AMP on his wrist already extended and glowing with energy which promptly discharges, ripping the Flameblade's torso apart before he even realizes what has happened.
Across the room, a Hellion saw the entire proceedings unfold, and is already unleashing a barrage of rockets which envelop the Tenno's vulnerable flesh in scorching fire. As the flames die down, there are only a few fading sparks of void energy where the Tenno's corpse should be. Re-materializing safely within the Warframe once more, the Tenno invokes the Frame's Magnetic Field Generator, causing the Hellion's second volley to reverse course in midair, returning to destroy the same Hellion who fired them.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: January 19, 2018, 09:31:19 am »

Dude, operators don't get inside warframes to control them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: January 19, 2018, 11:25:52 am »

Holy shit there's so much wrong with that that I don't know where to start.

Wait, yes I do: warframes are meat robots, synthetic tissue over a living endoskeleton.

Like, dude, that's what all of these crappy quests have been about: the operators are psychic space wizards who use astral projection to remote-control the warframes, which are just cyborgs built around lumps of technocyte biomass. They're the Orokin's second attempt to weaponize the technocyte. The only reason earlier lore like with Salad V and Valkyr treated them as if the consciousness were actually housed in the warframe is because DE is full of shit when they said all this Operator lore was planned out from the start the operators of those frames were total scrubs who got captured when they didn't have any other frames and didn't know how to pull the plug, or something stupid like that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: January 19, 2018, 01:45:52 pm »

Well then how do you explain the frames becoming invulnerable to damage when the operator is out? 0_o

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: January 19, 2018, 04:04:21 pm »

Well then how do you explain the frames becoming invulnerable to damage when the operator is out? 0_o
Space magic. Obviously.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: January 19, 2018, 06:56:10 pm »

I mean, it could also be that there’s a secondary consciousness in the Warframes themselves, like how the Warframe saved the Operator’s ass in Second Dream with no prompting. It would also explain Valkyr being pissed off despite being a power armor.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:57:43 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: January 19, 2018, 07:00:49 pm »

I'm not 100% sure about this but I thought the thing from Second Dream was the operator controlling the frame. The first time that happened though I did think it was the Warframe itself, but I think the implication is that the operator had gotten strong enough to perform transference without using the pod chair thingy.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: January 19, 2018, 08:46:31 pm »

Iunno, the Operator seemed to be shitting their pants too hard to control the Warframe.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: January 19, 2018, 09:11:51 pm »

There's already been lore implications that warframes have some sort of personality of their own. I think it was in the codex entries for Rhino and... Mag, maybe, that were big ones. Also supported by 'frames having sexes and unique animation sets, which often convey quite a bit of character.

That's why my own opinion has always been that the creation of the original warframes involved some sort of fusing or subsuming of an individual, and that everything else is copies of that (Primes) or copies of copies (contemporary frames).

Because it would be really shitty gameplay if using an ability they're trying desperately to force people to use left your warframe totally vulnerable to damage in addition to deactivating defensive abilities. Let's be real: people already never use operators when they're not forced to. If using the operator meant that you were basically guaranteed to die, do you think that would change?

I believe there's also a line of thought that "damage" to the 'frame is actually just force-feedback transferred to the operator, either as physical pain or reduction in the quality of their connection (maybe both), hence why you never need to repair frames and can instantly revive on your own--treat the latter as being something like a hard-reset on your link. Thus, when you're in kid-mode, you're using all of your bandwidth to maintain the projection, so stuff hitting the frame doesn't even ping on your senses.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:16:26 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: January 19, 2018, 10:45:55 pm »

Well, regardless of how you want to interpret the lore, I maintain that my scenario was 100% accurate in terms of effective gameplay functionality. You can absolutely do the things I described in game, and the operator can be useful once you understand their strengths and weaknesses.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: January 21, 2018, 01:54:47 pm »

I spent the last week hunting down all of the Kuria. Then I spent about an hour collecting all the Thousand-Year Fish. Now I have two pretty new trophies for my cabin. I've also been farming cryotic for fish trophies, so my decoratingframe is coming along nicely~

Also, the Ghoul event is back already. I'm trying to get all the lore pieces this time around, but it's slow going.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 133