Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 235865 times)

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #1770 on: March 08, 2019, 10:17:35 pm »

if you do not do every single damn challenge you might as well kiss goodbye to the higher rewards.

You only need to do like 60% of them. IIRC, you can miss like 13k points a week and still top out.

And then there's the Wolf himself. Who supposedly pops up as a boss. I say supposedly because I've never seen him.

DE has said multiple time he will become more common as the event goes one, supposedly by the end he will be showing up more often than not.

In any case, most of the challenges boil down to "just play the game", so unless you expect to get everything without logging in?
Mostly that I sometimes can't login for a while, resulting in me potentially missing out on stuff, making me frustrated. I'd rather play at my own pace than be forced to play at the pace DE wants me to.

There has always been stuff in warframe that you will miss out on if you can't log in enough. Why is this different? If anything, this is more flexible. At the end of this week, I will have missed three of the elite rewards due to being a solo player, and not being able to play for a solid 60 minutes. I'm still on track to get max rewards with all the other tasks just by playing mostly normal, and it was only the simaris targets that made me differ in my usual routine. (some of the daily tasks did make me swap some weapon mods).

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: March 08, 2019, 10:46:37 pm »

if you do not do every single damn challenge you might as well kiss goodbye to the higher rewards.

You only need to do like 60% of them. IIRC, you can miss like 13k points a week and still top out.

And then there's the Wolf himself. Who supposedly pops up as a boss. I say supposedly because I've never seen him.

DE has said multiple time he will become more common as the event goes one, supposedly by the end he will be showing up more often than not.

In any case, most of the challenges boil down to "just play the game", so unless you expect to get everything without logging in?
Mostly that I sometimes can't login for a while, resulting in me potentially missing out on stuff, making me frustrated. I'd rather play at my own pace than be forced to play at the pace DE wants me to.

There has always been stuff in warframe that you will miss out on if you can't log in enough. Why is this different? If anything, this is more flexible. At the end of this week, I will have missed three of the elite rewards due to being a solo player, and not being able to play for a solid 60 minutes. I'm still on track to get max rewards with all the other tasks just by playing mostly normal, and it was only the simaris targets that made me differ in my usual routine. (some of the daily tasks did make me swap some weapon mods).
I suppose I am simply tired of the whole Live Service model.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: March 09, 2019, 02:40:09 am »

I don't like this running train model either but I will keep my judgment for the end. It did made me reach out and do stuff with friends however so it's seems like a plus.

It seems that DE is aware that the objectives are too time consuming for being side activities but we will not see fixes before the second season.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: March 09, 2019, 02:58:42 am »

Don't you just hate it when they keep adding free content non stop and you just don't have time to experience and farm everything there is.
Can't they just curb their creativity and release a funny looking mount every few months and sell it for real money like normal people.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: March 09, 2019, 09:21:17 am »

Don't you just hate it when they keep adding free content non stop and you just don't have time to experience and farm everything there is.
Can't they just curb their creativity and release a funny looking mount every few months and sell it for real money like normal people.
Passive-aggressiveness does not suit you
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: March 09, 2019, 09:22:35 am »

That's not it at all - they could add all the free content they want and no one would complain.

It's the way that they're changing the model to 'login every day/devote this much time to the game or else lose out on loads of stuff' rather than trying to entice people back to play because they want to that people dislike.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 09, 2019, 09:41:14 am »

That's not it at all - they could add all the free content they want and no one would complain.

It's the way that they're changing the model to 'login every day/devote this much time to the game or else lose out on loads of stuff' rather than trying to entice people back to play because they want to that people dislike.

It also gets a little personal for me because I've had to actually order my best friend to stop playing the game because he's got an addictive personality and nightwave is close enough to a battle pass that it causes him to compulsively play instead of, say, sleeping.

On my part however, I think I am mostly tired of the game and will thus be stopping.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 09, 2019, 11:03:30 am »

I'm not sure how you could "compulsively play" nightwave, since I finished all the weeklies in 3 hours. (It would have been 2, but a bug with Limbo bit me in the ass on the first 60m survival attempt)

As for the new event: Calculations show you can max it out in less than 3h ("the perfect group" could do it in 45m theoretically).

In short, there is new content, yay, but there isn't enough new content to really go hard on.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 09, 2019, 11:07:00 am »

I'm not sure how you could "compulsively play" nightwave, since I finished all the weeklies in 3 hours. (It would have been 2, but a bug with Limbo bit me in the ass on the first 60m survival attempt)
That's because you don't have actual compulsions. It's the sort of thing you need to see to understand. For instance, sure you can do all weeklies in two hours. But then there's farming the prisoners and the wolf. So a compulsive person just keeps trying. And trying. And trying. And then its suddenly morning and they haven't slept at all. Because they physically could not stop. Same thing goes for undisputable garbage like lootboxes (fortunately absent from the game).

EDIT: I should note that the example given above is NOT a hipothetical one. It actually happened to said friend.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:11:26 am by Teneb »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 09, 2019, 04:46:44 pm »

I'd be hard pressed to call nightwave 'content' per say.

Its just doing existing content, just for a different reason.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: March 09, 2019, 08:08:52 pm »

It's requiring you to play content on their terms instead of yours.

If more of it lined up like the 3x Assassination weekly with the Razorback event I might feel better about it.

In other news, melee is totally fucked. No quick melee = melee is slow and you always get stuck in combos and startup animations = slide attack is going to be king again. For all the noise about making melee smoother and more integrated, it was really an improvement to gunplay (as you don't need to hold weapon swap to get back out of melee). Melee will continue to be fucked until we get some form of quick melee back and/or DE finally gives us true melee integration with full melee that doesn't sap momentum anywhere and combos that don't lock you into lengthy, grounded animations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 09, 2019, 08:42:15 pm »

In other news, melee is totally fucked.

I really couldn't agree with this less. Melee right now is awesome, smooth and fluid, with no weird disconnect between a halfassed "quick melee" and full on proper melee mode.

One of the biggest improvements is being able to quickly pull a gun, burn down a nullifier, and go straight back to mowing things down with a heavy blade.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 09, 2019, 09:47:03 pm »

Melee 2.90210's success really seems to depend on what melee you're using.

Jat Kittag really shines, as it can take full advantage of the new slam aiming, and its crushing ruin stance isn't that awful to have "always on".  Quick melee would have been largely the same, and you deliberately have to do combos that override your movement.

The Prisma Obex I just acquired can only be described as "fucky".  The "just punching" quick melee is gone, and even pressing E just once yanks you a meter forward, probably past whatever you intended to punch anyway.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: March 09, 2019, 10:45:44 pm »

In other news, melee is totally fucked.

I really couldn't agree with this less. Melee right now is awesome, smooth and fluid, with no weird disconnect between a halfassed "quick melee" and full on proper melee mode.

One of the biggest improvements is being able to quickly pull a gun, burn down a nullifier, and go straight back to mowing things down with a heavy blade.

Quick melee overwhelmingly had faster, smoother animations with less momentum loss than any "full" melee stance for the same weapons. It's only a positive change if you actually used full melee, which a great many of us didn't.

They didn't even need to remove quick melee to implement this system, but they did anyways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 10, 2019, 10:13:59 am »

I'm not much of a melee weapon user, but I do have to admit that going from "quick melee" to "your melee weapon's combo depending on what stance mod you have" has proven rather jarring, especially with the staff stances (the one I had equipped on my Amphis caused me to slide several meters forward at the end).

Charged attacks don't really feel any more powerful than regular melee attacks, though that's more to do with the amount of damage melee inflicts than anything else.

The automatic blocking is kind of cool (note that abilities like Iron Skin will prevent it from occurring)? I dunno how effective it's going to be as a defensive tactic, though.

The ability to aim melee slams is really nice, though hitting aerial enemies with a melee weapon (drones, namely) remains difficult. More often than not I've tried to hit them with a slam attack only to fall right past them.

They didn't even need to remove quick melee to implement this system, but they did anyways.
I suppose the alternative to "immediately enter the full melee mode" would be "quick melee attack, and then enter full melee mode"?

In any case, this is just the first phase of melee changes, so maybe wait to see the entirety of the changes before you analyze how and why they're totally fucked. For all I know, the devs might drop two or three of these changes before the month is out (though I dunno how likely that actually is).
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 133