Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 236119 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #1815 on: May 11, 2019, 01:57:55 pm »

TBQH you really do spend like half your mod capacity on the same dozen or so mods for all your equipment.  You're never not going to use serration and split chamber.  Then you chose between status or crit, which as a decision is just based on what base stats the gun has in the first place.  If its crit you must use the +crit chance and +crit damage mods, then you fill in the rest with element damage.  If its status then you go the 60/60 elements.

Same for modding warframes.  Half goes to health, armor, and/or shields, and the rest for modding ability stats.  Sprinkle in some energy mods.

The fact that you mod equipment using basically the same flowchart really homogenizes a lot of the game.  Yeah, there's weapon unique mods out there but most of them are rarely worth specing for outside of whimsy.

I mean, honestly with both the supra and soma I'm just going to open fire at a large group of enemies and then they fall over.  Yeah they achieve that in vastly different ways but either way ideally enemies die in like a second.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 11, 2019, 02:41:13 pm »

While it's true that some mods are essential or intuitive, there is a bit of room for variation. With shotguns you can mod for a wider spread to clear rooms, or a more narrow spread to focus single targets; explosives and flamethrowers have a similar option. Guns with projectile travel time you might choose projectile speed to increase effective range, or opt for more damage at closer ranges. You can also sacrifice some damage to add a silencer, reducing the attention your frame will draw so you can stay alive longer. With snipers you can choose to mod for extra headshot damage if you plan to line up every shot, or just more regular damage if you plan to be spamming body shots.
Overall, the system certainly could have been designed better, but I feel like it does allow for enough variation to be interesting.

Anyway, I recently built Hildryn and Baruuk.

Hildryn can go Ability Duration and strip enemy shields and armor while cleansing ally debuffs, or Ability Strength to create auras that destroy nearby trash mobs while nuking stronger enemies with her unique pistol, or Ability Range to hard-CC large groups of enemies and keep them still for easy headshots. My complaint is that no matter how specialized, none of these options are top-tier compared to other frames. And building a hybrid dilutes her powers to the point they feel pretty weak even in mid-game.

Baruuk can mod for Ability Range and become immune to ranged attacks while also putting rooms of enemies to sleep. With Ability Strength he can disarm lots of enemies, and pull out a melee weapon that shoots projectiles similar to Excalibur, though with a much wider radius. As a crowd-control frame he is somewhat weak; the sleep takes a few seconds to kick in, and breaks when the enemies take damage. His ability weapon is good at clearing trash, but in single-target damage it is significantly outperformed by regular melee weapons; also the ultimate takes time and effort to charge, which can be inconvenient. His most effective option is probably using his high armor and bullet-immunity to play as a survival frame, but an utterly average health pool make this option underwhelming as well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 11, 2019, 08:07:26 pm »

do weapons like the Cernos, Paris, Dread or Daikyu feel different?
Yes. Cernos and its variants are speed-bows, Dread feels chunky, Daikyu feels like a longbow.

The Gorgon, Soma, and Supra?
Gods, yes. Gorgon is a minigun-rifle, Soma is a precision assault rifle, Supra is an on-demand bullet hose.

The Tiberon, Sybaris, and Quartakk?
Also yes. Tiberon is a proper variable-rate battle rifle, Sybaris is a cowboy lever-action repeater, Quartakk is a space-M16.

The Magnus, Marelok, Lex, or Vasto?
Most certainly. Magnus is a piece of shit, Marelok is a sawed-off lever-action rifle, Lex is a hand-cannon, and Vasto is a double-action revolver.

Just in terms of how they feel. Man, you really didn't pick good examples, which kinda suggests you're one of those people who passively MR-ground most of the gear in the game without using it much. If you're wanting same-y comparisons, go for stuff like Braton/Karak, Grinlock/Sybaris, Boar/Strun, Attica/Zhuge, or the whole set of dual machine pistols.

Honestly it's a little hard to come up with genuine feel-alikes, which says DE did a pretty good job with weapon variation, considering how many there are. Granted, a decent chunk are borderline-useless gimmick weapons and variants that feel unique but fill the same role worse than other weapons of their class.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 11, 2019, 08:34:04 pm »

Same for modding warframes.  Half goes to health, armor, and/or shields, and the rest for modding ability stats.  Sprinkle in some energy mods.

If you are modding your warframes this way, you will have some very bad builds.

EDIT: To be clear, I can think of at least 4-5 warframes that don't take *any* armor, health, or shield mods at all. Mesa, for example, takes Quick Thinking, Primed Flow, and maybe Adaptation as your only survivability mods.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:37:21 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 11, 2019, 10:40:02 pm »

I do agree to a point about many weapons seeming very samey (every melee weapon indeed feels almost exactly the same with only some variations attributed to stances) but I don't feel much sameyness with the guns. 

The quartakk is my go to unscoped semi auto just because it fires all it's shots at once per trigger pull instead of as a distinct burst.  The daikyu is my favorite bow because it actually feels like the shots have weight behind them, even if you could mod most other bows to have comparable dps, the daikyu forces you to slow your shots down and be careful with your aim because unlike the other bows it must be fully drawn to fire.  The corinth is my favorite shotgun because it has the spread of a shotgun while still being reasonably damaging downrange.

On paper they seem very similar I suppose, but the primaries at least have very distinct styles to them within the same class.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 11, 2019, 10:41:20 pm »

I don't have adaptation, as I never feel like 100%-ing the star chart for arbitrations.  Its kinda a meme from what I heard, as somebody thought 90% resist was a good idea.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 12, 2019, 12:37:52 am »

every melee weapon indeed feels almost exactly the same with only some variations attributed to stances

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. You've got slow heavy weapons, light fast weapons, weapons that specializing in slide-attacks, weapons that specialize in slam attacks, throwing weapons, gunblades, assassination weapons, weapons with big hitboxes for clearing swarms, weapons with small hitboxes for focusing single targets, shields, and fist weapons that for some reason launch enemies into space. Melee has lots of variety.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 12, 2019, 01:12:40 am »

Its kinda a meme from what I heard, as somebody thought 90% resist was a good idea.

Adaptation is incredible. Almost every frame that is tanky enough to take a few hits can make use of it to become vastly tougher.

It doesn't work on everything by any means. Many frames are too squishy to make good use of it, some have interactions that make it useless, some simply don't need it enough to justify spending a mod slot. The ones that can use it however...

A few examples:
* Limbo can't really use it, since he is squishy and has better ways of staying alive.
* Rhino never uses it since it doesn't work with Iron Skin.
* Inaros goes from "really tanky" to "immortal god".
* Gara can use it together with her 2 to get 99% DR.

Like most good warframe mods how useful it is depends on the frame. I use it on ~1/4 of my frames.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 12, 2019, 05:52:02 am »

Mesa, for example, takes Quick Thinking, Primed Flow, and maybe Adaptation as your only survivability mods.

Eeeeeeeh. Mesa is really not a good candidate for QT. Mesa already gets 95% DR from Shatter Shield, that's the sort of case where you use Vitality and Adaptation. (Obviously you take Primed Flow in all cases.)

If you wind up in a situation where you're getting drained by QT on Mesa you're probably going to die regardless, because it means you went into Peacemaker somewhere dumb.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 15, 2019, 03:42:58 pm »

I finally dusted off my Titania and updated her mods. I got her into a reasonably functional build that uses her exalted weapon with channeled lifesteal. I love zipping between enemies, and feel like Sonic's theme should be playing every time I dive into a swarm of baddies. It's great fun, but suffers from bad mana drain. Without any manafeed in the group, she is reliant upon Rage to restore mana, which works fine while there are enemies attacking; but if she doesn't get attacked long enough to run out of mana then she reverts out of pixie form which kills her survivability and often results in getting 1-shotted.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: May 18, 2019, 03:09:43 am »

Baro Ki'Teer is back, with a selection of prime mods and prismatic weapons!
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Baro_Ki%27Teer

Also, big patch coming next week. Featuring new game mode, new frame, new weapons and mods, new story quest, and a remastered tileset.
https://www.warframe.com/news/the-jovian-concord

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 18, 2019, 12:00:37 pm »

Came back to this game after a long break and discovered that Nightwave has more than just four rewards.

Feck.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 18, 2019, 12:24:25 pm »

yeah, ive not logged into warframe for a while. i dropped in a bit when the plains opened up but now we have 2 open maps with custom melee AND custom guns! im so confused, how do i get started? how did this guy get a pet moa? a trip to the wiki illuminated a few of these questions but wow, i've got a lot of work ahead of me. i was also working on vauban prime, which i still have to do quite a lot of nitrain grinding on
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 18, 2019, 12:40:27 pm »

... how do i get started? ...

You are going to want rep... Lots of it. Easiest way to max the rep for the open world factions is to go all Steve Irwin and get an interest in wildlife.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 18, 2019, 01:32:07 pm »

Came back to this game after a long break and discovered that Nightwave has more than just four rewards.
Feck.
Nightwave phase 1 is also ending tomorrow. There will be a break before Phase 2 starts, but the plan is to make quests a bit easier to complete, rewards a bit easier to earn, and make it possible to get rewards from previous phases somehow.

Easiest way to max the rep for the open world factions is to go all Steve Irwin and get an interest in wildlife.
I recommend Equinox if going this route, as her sleepy-time spell makes capturing wildlife a breeze. I've heard that Ivara can do the same, though I can't vouch for her as she is the one frame I don't yet have...

Also, it doesn't hurt to run some bounties for faction. There are a lot of frame parts and mods that can only be earned through these missions, as well as being one of the easiest sources of lenses.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 133