Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 236223 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #1500 on: July 30, 2018, 12:27:38 am »

Strongly, strongly recommend farming excavations for axi relics. You get a rotation C every 4-5 minutes if you're playing decently instead of every 20+ minutes.
The unvaulted frames and weapons only drop from void missions, so unless you're going to bring a drill to an orokin tower...

The sabotage is far and away the best place to get the unvaulted relics.

Mot has an 11.11% chance to drop the Axi S3, but rotation C only shows up ever 20 minutes. The sabotage mission can be completed in 4.5 minutes or less with randoms, and has a 5.88% chance of giving that relic. Basically you have half the chance per mission, but it only takes a quarter as long.

If you take a good "racing frame" and solo the mission, you can probably shave the time down to less than 4 minutes.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: July 30, 2018, 03:09:07 am »

Speedrunning the captures on solo is also a good way to grab the relics, getting one per 1 or 2 minutes with good parkour. Ukko can get you a Neo at 6%.

Edit: I just made a speed volt prime, holy crap this is fun.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:27:03 am by Boltgun »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: July 30, 2018, 07:23:47 am »

Speedrunning the captures on solo is also a good way to grab the relics, getting one per 1 or 2 minutes with good parkour. Ukko can get you a Neo at 6%.

Edit: I just made a speed volt prime, holy crap this is fun.
Remember to use negative range on your speed build.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 30, 2018, 11:45:12 am »

Choosing to run rift spy missions is also a good choice, as a relic is one of the rewards for getting the alarms. It won't be as high tier as the one used for the mission, but then again even low level relics can still have desirable parts that will sell.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 30, 2018, 04:48:31 pm »

Void capture doesn't drop axi relics though, which is why you do sabotage. I wasn't even using Volt and it took roughly 2 minutes (IIRC? Seems kinda low considering you have to defend some consoles) to do solo and that was using Octavia with an Ignis Wraith.

Now that I have all the primes I'm not sure what to farm for next. I could farm for Khora but I don't reel like it right now. I might try to raise standing with the Quills and Cetus...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 02, 2018, 04:45:21 pm »

You know how they made it so single handed pistols can be used in conjunction with glaives? It'd be cool if they did something similar but with one handed swords or other one handed weapons.
So I'm watching a video Youtube recommended, and apparently this is now going to be a thing in the new Melee 3.0 update. Channeling is being removed and the channeling button is now a heavy attack (although I still have a 'secondary fire' button that's only used by a handful of weapons, DE. What's with that?) and many channeling type abilities are going to be combined with the block key. Damage won't scale with your combo counter and instead your combo will be 'channeled' into heavy attacks you do. Right now they're saying this will reset the counter back to 0 but that would kinda suck to have to build a counter just to do 1 attack.

I don't really use melee all that much but do you guys have any opinions on what they're going to do with melee 3.0? For some reason I thought that they were working on damage 3.0 right now with status procs working differently than they do now...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 02, 2018, 08:42:21 pm »

There will supposedly be a devstream tomorrow that's actually going to demonstrate the details of it. 

From what little of glaives I used I like that I can use those with 1 handed pistols, for style points.  but I'm really not sure of the practical difference between that and just quick melee.  As even with a lex prime in one hand and a kestrel in another it just uses the quick melee combos and not my stance combos, at that point I really don't see the point.  I guess I can charge the kestrel throw and knock them down?  But why bother doing that and not be able to melee for a few seconds when I can just shoot my lex prime and be done with it?

I am hoping to see what's going on with that devstream, because to my knowledge no-one really using channeling outside showing off, no-one really uses power attacks except by accident while chaining their stance combos, and unless they let you use stance mods on melee while dual wielding there does not seem to be a point in any of that.  Biggest practical difference I see is your combo counter not increasing your base melee attack anymore, and even that they are upping weapon stats to compensate.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 02, 2018, 09:18:00 pm »

Channeling sucks.  Its a lot of mod investment, and most channeling mods make channeling cost even more.  Normal old damage mods are almost as good, and buff all of your attacks, even the not channeled ones.  Which will be a lot, because channeling costs a massive amount over time.  Channel Blocking is almost worth it because it blocks 100% but any rapid fire weapon will also drain all energy.

And the energy eaten by channeling is just better spent on using abilities.  I could channel, or I could cast CC and do a melee finisher for basically the same damage.  Or I could cast exalted blade and have a better energy based sword.  Or I could Roar and buff me and everyone else's damage.  Or I could cast Turbulence and not die.  Etc.  The only real reason anyone channels is to use the Life Strike mod to heal.

The honest problem with the combo counter is that without (very rare) mods it does basically nothing.  It goes from X to 0 in about a second.  To actually fix that you either need Acolyte mods or the new and much less expensive Gladiator Mod set.  Then you can carry it from fight to fight and the combo counter does something.  Even so with Body Count I went a good long Infested survival with some 500 melee hits and only getting like x3 damage.  After a while it just takes forever to grow because the required hits quickly grow exponentially into absurdity.  If it didn't drain near instantly without mods the system would probably be alright.

Like, drain a handful of melee hits per second after a few seconds of no melee hits.  Have Body Count or equivalent slow the drain or make it longer before the drain starts.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 02, 2018, 11:28:02 pm »

I only use channeling for the life stealing/healing mods. But I will leave it on for a while to fight, I build most of my warframes with very deep energy pools. (Thanks Primed Flow!)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 03, 2018, 12:09:04 am »

With a full channeling setup, channeling only does roughly the same damage as a crit setup...but unlike crit setup, channeling becomes worthless the instant a mana-drain elite enters the area. So yeah, not particularly well balanced.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 03, 2018, 02:13:13 am »

I don't like the combo counter at all; from a design standpoint it makes no sense to me. Combo counters are usually in games to reward a well timed series of varied, chained attacks. Warframe's melee doesn't have timed attacks, and instead of rewarding variety, it rewards doing the same thing over and over until the end of the mission. You could argue that Warframe's combo counter is the exact antithesis of what a combo counter usually stands for.

I don't know all of what they have planned with melee 3.0, but I feel like it won't be enough. It needs a complete overhaul; having such clunky melee combat in a game where I roleplay a robot ninja is just a sin, especially considering how they absolutely nailed movement. Quick, responsive attacks that flow seamlessly together with both my movement and the rest of my arsenal... I can dream, right?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:18:14 am by Rex_Nex »

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 03, 2018, 05:02:30 am »

Combo counters are usually in games to reward a well timed series of varied, chained attacks. Warframe's melee doesn't have timed attacks, and instead of rewarding variety, it rewards doing the same thing over and over until the end of the mission. You could argue that Warframe's combo counter is the exact antithesis of what a combo counter usually stands for.

That's only half true. The weapon stances have combos which need measured and well timed button presses to pull off, and some moves later in the combo will add numerous bonus strikes which can rapidly boost the combo counter. Also there are counter moves, but the opportunities to use them in normal combat are rare.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 03, 2018, 09:49:40 am »

There will supposedly be a devstream tomorrow that's actually going to demonstrate the details of it. 

From what little of glaives I used I like that I can use those with 1 handed pistols, for style points.  but I'm really not sure of the practical difference between that and just quick melee.  As even with a lex prime in one hand and a kestrel in another it just uses the quick melee combos and not my stance combos, at that point I really don't see the point.  I guess I can charge the kestrel throw and knock them down?  But why bother doing that and not be able to melee for a few seconds when I can just shoot my lex prime and be done with it?
The thing about pairing glaives with one-handed pistols is that you can throw the glaive immediately instead of having to do a standard quick attack first before you can throw. And unlike the quick attack, if you are using glaive prime for example, you can also use any special abilities it may have (glaive prime's explosion, for instance).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 03, 2018, 03:03:01 pm »

Ah I don't have a glaive prime, I only have the regular glaive and a kestrel, and I potato'd the kestrel and my first dropped riven was for it, so I feel attached to it. 

I imagine then in the same vein the kestrel's throw probably does not do it's guaranteed knockdown from quick attack then.  Honestly never tested, it's got so much damage on the thing the throw one shots anything I'm brave enough to bring it against.

Darn I didn't wake up in time for the devstream talking about it. Looks like you can catch the rerun here https://www.twitch.tv/videos/292671499##
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 03, 2018, 08:29:17 pm »

I don't like the combo counter at all; from a design standpoint it makes no sense to me. Combo counters are usually in games to reward a well timed series of varied, chained attacks. Warframe's melee doesn't have timed attacks, and instead of rewarding variety, it rewards doing the same thing over and over until the end of the mission. You could argue that Warframe's combo counter is the exact antithesis of what a combo counter usually stands for.

I don't know all of what they have planned with melee 3.0, but I feel like it won't be enough. It needs a complete overhaul; having such clunky melee combat in a game where I roleplay a robot ninja is just a sin, especially considering how they absolutely nailed movement. Quick, responsive attacks that flow seamlessly together with both my movement and the rest of my arsenal... I can dream, right?

They're half-assing it as usual.

Spinning is getting gutted (including Maiming Strike and the rivens that do the same thing). Reach mods are getting gutted (with a buff to base range which will inevitably not be enough to compensate). The combo counter is getting gutted--it now only applies to a single heavy attack and is reset after. They're presumably also killing Blood Rush and Weeping Wounds. This is being "compensated" for by a buff to base damage that we all know won't be sufficient.

They're also removing channeling for the time being because they don't know how to make it useful for general use, which incidentally means that Life Strike is dead until that's resolved.

So essentially Melee 3.0 is removing every useful application of melee and leaving us with a situation where the tip-top of melee meta is back to the handful of half-decent stances. Expect to see the return of Broken Bull heavy blades and Volt speed-spam.

See, here's the thing: melee is, in abstract, far less viable than gunplay or ability spam. In low level content it means having to run up to every single enemy that you can one-shot. In high level content it means having to get close to things that can insta-down you, constantly. The melee meta around slide-spinning with memeing strike in conjunction with using Blood Rush + Berserker oriented around mobility more than anything else. You can still expect to see slide-spinning after Melee 3.0 if they don't completely destroy it for that simple reason: most melee in Warframe, a game built around an extreme degree of player mobility, is highly immobile. In high level content, standing still means dying. Most melee forces you to stand still. Allowing dodge-cancels out of attack animations won't resolve that.

The other two current melee metas are the handful of good stances (which all have a universal trait: they provide a fair degree of mobility and forward momentum), and Life Strike in conjunction with tank builds (which can heal so rapidly that you can survive up to fairly high level content). There's also Chromatic Blade and endless Hysteria builds, but those are fundamentally ability builds which only incidentally involve melee (and as such are both very mobile).

Note that the only other time there has been a melee meta as strongly defined as slide-spinning was back before they removed coptering. It wasn't even particularly good in terms of combat, but it provided an extreme degree of mobility in a time when melee was glacial and even normal movement was quite slow compared to the current movement system.

This is going to keep happening until all melee is brought up to the same degree of mobility that you can achieve with guns and abilities. When there's no good high-mobility melee meta, people will just use whatever stance is best/Volt and mostly ignore it. When there is one, that will be used until it's nerfed. It's not a problem with MS, with slide attacks, or with the combo counter, it's a problem with standard melee and the overwhelming majority of stances being absolute dogshit that kill your clear speeds and kill you if you're fighting anything dangerous.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 133