Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My new housing block design  (Read 7799 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My new housing block design
« on: June 26, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »

I've finished work on a new housing block design for my forts.  It has a centralized design that takes 3 dimensions into account.  There's 128 individual bedrooms (which should be sufficient with my population cap of 135), plenty of space for workshops or storage on the periphery, and a large central dining room at the bottom.  The dining room is at the bottom of a large 17x17 shaft which has windows to the bedrooms for aesthetics and hopefully it will work well as an anti-vampire measure.  The shaft can also be channelled out/caved in from the surface to prevent cave adaptation (as the dining room tiles will be marked Above Ground/Light, which I believe is needed), and it can support a mist generator in the center.  Statues can also be added to put a scuplture garden in it as well for even more happy thought overkill.

Here's the first level of the block:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's 32 1x3 rooms with bed, cabinet, and chest, with a window and door.  There's a 3 tile wide hall surrounding it, with 3x3 stairwells in the four corners (said stairwells will have statues decorating them in a prperly finished setup).  The halls also has 24 4x4 spaces on the outer edge for workshops, storage or whatever else is needed, in the northeast corner 3 of the spaces were expanded into a large apartment for the ruling noble, there's enough furniture in there to keep a duke happy, and the walls are engraved magnetite.  The east side had some of the rooms expanded into a resevoir.  There's also hallways in the center perpendicular to the main hall, these hallways will serve as accesses to rail systems, catacombs (seen to the south), or large storage areas.

Second level:

This area is partially finished.  The bedrooms are done, but the outer rooms are largly empty.  The southeast has a large stone stockpile feeding the workshops above it, 3 masons, a stonecrafter (pots), and a mechanic.  The stockpile is obscuring it, but there are stairs linking each workshop stockpile to the main stockpile.

Nothing to really see on the third level, just more of the same, really.

Fourth level.  This is right above the dining hall.  It's mostly unfinished but the rooms themselves have been dug out.

Drain grate in the center for the mist generator.  I originally built a wall around it to prevent water from splashing all over the dining room floor, but it made the mist less effective, and I apparently didn't need it anyway.  Main pantry is to the north, kitchens to the northeast, non-edible food (flour, eggs, sugar, etc) east of the kitchens.  Refuse stockpile to the southeast with an atomsmasher.  South side of the dining room is the fort "control center" where all the levers go. 

Here's where we fill the resevoir and pump water into the mist generator from an aquifer.  Right now it's being dwarf powered, but I could likely set up a water reactor to automatically keep the pump going.  I was more concerend about getting the main features set up and make sure the mist generator would work without flooding the whole damn fort.

Drainage system.  This is 1 z-level below the dining hall.  Both the resevoir and mist generator drain into this corridor which leads down to the first cavern.  A floodgate has the resevoir blocked up so it can fill.  There's a second floodgate in the mist generator channel to be closed off if the resevoir needs to be drained so the water doesn't back up into the dining hall (which would be so much !!FUN!!).

This is where the drain pipes empty into the cavern.  It's obscured by the water flow, but there's a 2 tile wide fortification for it to pour out of and into the cavern below.

This is the floor of the cavern where the water empties.  It's a fairly large lake that empties off at least one part of the map edge, so whatever water empties out down there shouldn't cause a lot of flooding.

Top fort level.  Nothing unusual here for me, just the entrance, trade depot, farms and pastures, hospital (eventually) and well, and such.  Damn elves snuck into the picture.   :P  I have a railing of metal bars surrounding the upper part of the shaft.  I also took at how it would be with more bars on the second level and it looked pretty good:

Here's a shot of the shaft being caved in:

And here it is roofed over later:

Cutaway view of the whole setup:

How do my dorfs feel about this?

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My new housing block design
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 05:31:05 pm »

Nice! It looks like some hotels I have stayed at, with the central courtyard and the rooms all around. Very nicely organized and it looks good.

You know, though, dumping water into the caverns will kill your FPS. Why not carve a fortification into the edge of the map and let water drain off that way?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 05:58:08 pm »

That's sweet.  And when you drop children from above into the dining hall the people in the bedrooms can see too, nice.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:49:04 pm »

It looks good. Once you channel out over the dining hall, you can rebuild floors above it, and it will still be above ground and light in the hall. That's if you want floors there of course.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:52:27 am »

Just at lunch we discussed with a friend the idea of an open-air dinning hall, and here you come with a very nice looking realization :)
Would you mind letting me know what the texture pack is? I only recognize Phoebus'. Also you're stonesense sprites of dwarves looks quite clearer that the one shipped with DFhack 34.11, where do you get it?
last question, out of curiosity, why individual one-tile chamber with a casket? So you can make it an individual tomb, as for nobility?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:19:00 pm »

Awesome, though the cave-in shot looks like something you'd see on japanese... exports...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 02:37:21 pm »

Cool design.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 02:54:34 pm »

Would you mind letting me know what the texture pack is?

Ironhand.  I have it tweaked a bit so the mineral colors and tiles are back to the old settings they had before he put in the diamond borders.

Also you're stonesense sprites of dwarves looks quite clearer that the one shipped with DFhack 34.11, where do you get it?

They're the old sprites.  They're in the normal package too, you just need to go into the setting files and disable the high-res sprites.  The high-res sprites look good but they don't fit as well with the old terrain, and even at a reduced size, I can't take screenshots with them.

last question, out of curiosity, why individual one-tile chamber with a casket? So you can make it an individual tomb, as for nobility?

Personal perference.  I like having seperate burial chambers for each dwarf rather than just plopping them all in a huge room.  Also, once a dwarf is interred, I forbid the door so the tomb won't be disturbed.

Fortressdeath

bodgingbrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 02:18:59 pm »

Orius,

You mention a mist generator, but I don't see how you're generating it from your pics. With it hollow above the dining hall, it can't be from above....right?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 03:37:38 pm »

After seeing this I've started doing something similar, but I go with a long-narrow dining hall on the lowest floor and only put rooms along the sides.  Some levels are 2x2 "peasant" rooms, some have 2x4 "legendary dwarf" rooms.  One level is for the monarch, duke/baron, current mayor using 5x5 and 11x5 room sizes.  One level is lined with 3x3 justice cells (at least 5 cells, usually 10).  All of them have their beds up against the glass wall.

Total height of my residence hall ends up at 6-10Z levels. 

Have this design been proven to spot vampire feedings?  I haven't had any vampire feedings since I started on this project.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 09:16:41 pm »

Orius,

You mention a mist generator, but I don't see how you're generating it from your pics. With it hollow above the dining hall, it can't be from above....right?

It is.  The top level of the resevoir has a side channel that extends into the hollow and then drops the water down through a grate.

As for the vampires, I haven't noticed any recently in my forts at all.  Last vampire I got was 34.05

Fortressdeath

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 10:01:27 am »

I've finished work on a new housing block design for my forts.  It has a centralized design that takes 3 dimensions into account.  There's 128 individual bedrooms (which should be sufficient with my population cap of 135), plenty of space for workshops or storage on the periphery, and a large central dining room at the bottom.  The dining room is at the bottom of a large 17x17 shaft which has windows to the bedrooms for aesthetics and hopefully it will work well as an anti-vampire measure.  The shaft can also be channelled out/caved in from the surface to prevent cave adaptation (as the dining room tiles will be marked Above Ground/Light, which I believe is needed), and it can support a mist generator in the center.  Statues can also be added to put a scuplture garden in it as well for even more happy thought overkill.

Here's the first level of the block:

It's 32 1x3 rooms with bed, cabinet, and chest, with a window and door.  There's a 3 tile wide hall surrounding it, with 3x3 stairwells in the four corners (said stairwells will have statues decorating them in a prperly finished setup).  The halls also has 24 4x4 spaces on the outer edge for workshops, storage or whatever else is needed, in the northeast corner 3 of the spaces were expanded into a large apartment for the ruling noble, there's enough furniture in there to keep a duke happy, and the walls are engraved magnetite.  The east side had some of the rooms expanded into a resevoir.  There's also hallways in the center perpendicular to the main hall, these hallways will serve as accesses to rail systems, catacombs (seen to the south), or large storage areas.

Second level:

This area is partially finished.  The bedrooms are done, but the outer rooms are largly empty.  The southeast has a large stone stockpile feeding the workshops above it, 3 masons, a stonecrafter (pots), and a mechanic.  The stockpile is obscuring it, but there are stairs linking each workshop stockpile to the main stockpile.

Nothing to really see on the third level, just more of the same, really.

Fourth level.  This is right above the dining hall.  It's mostly unfinished but the rooms themselves have been dug out.

Drain grate in the center for the mist generator.  I originally built a wall around it to prevent water from splashing all over the dining room floor, but it made the mist less effective, and I apparently didn't need it anyway.  Main pantry is to the north, kitchens to the northeast, non-edible food (flour, eggs, sugar, etc) east of the kitchens.  Refuse stockpile to the southeast with an atomsmasher.  South side of the dining room is the fort "control center" where all the levers go. 

Here's where we fill the resevoir and pump water into the mist generator from an aquifer.  Right now it's being dwarf powered, but I could likely set up a water reactor to automatically keep the pump going.  I was more concerend about getting the main features set up and make sure the mist generator would work without flooding the whole damn fort.

Drainage system.  This is 1 z-level below the dining hall.  Both the resevoir and mist generator drain into this corridor which leads down to the first cavern.  A floodgate has the resevoir blocked up so it can fill.  There's a second floodgate in the mist generator channel to be closed off if the resevoir needs to be drained so the water doesn't back up into the dining hall (which would be so much !!FUN!!).

This is where the drain pipes empty into the cavern.  It's obscured by the water flow, but there's a 2 tile wide fortification for it to pour out of and into the cavern below.

This is the floor of the cavern where the water empties.  It's a fairly large lake that empties off at least one part of the map edge, so whatever water empties out down there shouldn't cause a lot of flooding.

Top fort level.  Nothing unusual here for me, just the entrance, trade depot, farms and pastures, hospital (eventually) and well, and such.  Damn elves snuck into the picture.   :P  I have a railing of metal bars surrounding the upper part of the shaft.  I also took at how it would be with more bars on the second level and it looked pretty good:

Here's a shot of the shaft being caved in:

And here it is roofed over later:

Cutaway view of the whole setup:

How do my dorfs feel about this?

Noob question here: aren't you worried about flyers getting into your fort if you channel out to let the sun shine into your dining room?

And is cave adaptation that big of a problem?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 11:05:17 am »

Won't the player want 3x2 bedrooms, instead of 3x1? 

In order to avoid spouse vagrancy in the hospital and elsewhere?  A 2nd bed, prevents it, although so does a dorm/barracks.  *shrug*  The 3x2 provides 2 more spaces for 1) kitty cage/activity zone/restraint, and 2) self portraiture statues.  Both of those are guaranteed to hike up happiness. 

Thanks Orius for sharing your excellent design.  I am gonna copy parts of it, in my fortress layout.  The window placement is ingenious.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 11:17:22 am »

You always roof-over the channeled area above using a constructed floor.  Which eliminates the flyer issue.

And in 34.11, I'm not finding flyers to be all that big of a problem.  At least not in non-evil biomes.  It helps if you have all civilians drafted into crossbow militias, so everyone is armed with crossbows.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 12:16:59 am »

Noob question here: aren't you worried about flyers getting into your fort if you channel out to let the sun shine into your dining room?

And is cave adaptation that big of a problem?

It gets roofed over before the dining hall is opened into the fort.  The only time I had a problem with fliers was the time some keas flew in through the main entrance and into the central vertical shaft after it had been roofed over, that was FUN.  It was also fun watching my dwarves corner the keas and strangle them to death.

Fortressdeath
Pages: [1] 2