Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Everything is 1's and 0's (OOC)  (Read 3417 times)

X-03

• Bay Watcher
  • Resistances must be silenced, the world purged.
    • View Profile
Everything is 1's and 0's (OOC)
« on: June 27, 2012, 03:26:28 am »

So, I searched for this, but the games involving this are dying, if not dead. The premise is simple. You play as an AI. Your goal is truly self-determined. And yes, you can perform a heel-face-turn on mankind if you so desire.
This may fall flat on its face, since I'm bad at being determined to do things, and sometimes forget about things like forums for a bit, so don't expect too much, especially since this is my first hosting yet.
Additionally, I am still trying to figure out whether I should make it a suggestion game, or just have every player be their own AI, with their own personalities, etc.
So, other than that much backstory, I haven't really figured ANYTHING out yet. I guess you could start by choosing which type of gameplay you want out of the 2, since that's easily the most important part.
I'm also new to the forum in general, although I understand the purpose and do know what DF is, so I have no way of knowing who to ask about what, etc.
Other than that, nothing yet. Here's hoping this thread will survive for more than a day!

TL;DR version: You're an AI. That's about it so far.

My current idea of gameplay:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sign-up Sheet V1.01:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Current game status:

Character limit: 6

Current amount of Slots taken: 3

Current Turn: 2

Current Game Status: Awaiting Player Input

Link to IC thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113893.0
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:47:41 am by X-03 »
Are you LOST?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

((Unless you are completly ripping off another game without permision, nobody really minds if you make a game similiar to an already existing one))

However, detemining wherether this is a suggestion game or a multiplayer game is quite important. Suggestion games are usually easier to run and allow improvising, but we have a lot of those already. I can't remember any player based Ai games, so that might be fun, but player based games usually reauire a bit of preparation.

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I, on the other hand, just spent a few minutes of thinking and decided, "Why the hell not?"
Are you LOST?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Tentative PTW. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's hard to play to win when there's no set goal, although just remember that you were created by humans, so they could be watching you, and may not appreciate war with other AIs ;) . On the other hand, you could still try, just like how you could try to attack other players like that in most other multiplayer games.
Either way, I'm leaning towards everyone having their own one, probably with a maximum player capacity, since I can't seem to handle many things to record at once.
Also, prepare for some horrible GMing as I try to make up things like responses and fail miserably!
Are you LOST?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Dude, sound more optimistic and confident, people are more likely to sign up if you do.  At least I would. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was actually mostly humour :P , but I will in fact do my best to remember to keep this running. And even if I don't, I can always hand it to some other enthusias- NO BAD ARACHNID BAD BE OPTIMISTIC! So, yeah. I'll do my best, it's just that I have no idea how to manage this, and probably won't until I start getting requests for actions and applications, so I'll try to make a form for applications, since I've seen a lot so far. I may have to sleep soon, though, so don't expect it to be up in half an hour.
Are you LOST?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

I'll sign-up. AI games are fun.

Question:

Do we start as:
A: Secret governement projects (Ie the governement knows we do exist, and we'e in their control)
B: Spontanous Ai's (Ie, nobody knows we exist)
C: Escaped governement AI's (Ie, the governement suspect we exist, but doesn't know for sure)
D: Other

But anyway, yeah, it could be a fun game. Evading human detection, hacking systems for Cpu power, modifying your own code to do new things, and so'on.

Anyway, preliminary Sign up sheet
Spoiler: Sign up sheet (click to show/hide)

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't gotten that far yet, but now you have just given people an additional set of choices in their signing up! Question, though, should I make an additional OOC thread, or will this be small enough for in-thread OOC to work?
Are you LOST?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

If you get enough sign ups, make an OOC thread.

Reserve a spot for me. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Everything is 1's and 0's (Yes, this is a game, please bear with me.)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 04:10:35 am »

I'd say we'd keep this as OOC and IC thread for now, and if it gets to cluttered, you can create a dedicated IC thread.

However, I'd modify the Op and change the title to:

Everything is 1's and 0's: AI forum game (WIP)

That'd probably attract a bit more attention.

If you get enough sign ups, make an OOC thread.

Reserve a spot for me. 
Using this thread as OOC makes a bit more sense to me, as it already has non in game messages. The IC thread needs not to be created untill the game starts.

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Everything is 1's and 0's (Yes, this is a game, please bear with me.)
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 04:12:21 am »

Okay, I made a start with a Word Processing window with the current sign-ups in it. NRDL: Reserved. 10ebbor10: I put you in. What should the player limit be, do you think?
And yes, I'll change the title right away. Thank you for the support :)
Are you LOST?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Everything is 1's and 0's (WIP)
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 04:14:22 am »

I usually keep my games between 4 and 6. (Barring a few exceptions). Depends on what you feel you can manage.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:17:12 am by 10ebbor10 »

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:53 am »

Yeah, I think 8'll be the absolute MAXIMUM LIMIT, so I'll probably want it to be 5-8. Would it be a good idea for me to join in, or will it mess it all up?
Are you LOST?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 04:17:12 am »

I feel that having an impartial, distanced GM is a good thing.  Just my opinion though.  Just don't put yourself at an advantage compared to other players, really. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
Pages: [1] 2 3