Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: PRESSURE (Hear me out!)  (Read 3735 times)

X-03

• Bay Watcher
  • Resistances must be silenced, the world purged.
    • View Profile
PRESSURE (Hear me out!)
« on: June 28, 2012, 03:03:25 am »

I happened to stumble upon the 4Chan article. I also happened to stumble upon the forum for it (Most of it is a relic, so set the time thing to "since the beginning" if you do!) at http://z13.invisionfree.com/Pressure_PC/index.php?act=idx . I really want it to be worked on, but I only  know the most basic C, and no art or anything. It's a dream come true for some, and I would really appreciate some support before my short-lived inspiration runs out! (The posts from Mistfader are by me, so ignore their timestamps. It's a relic from 2009.)
Are you LOST?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: PRESSURE (Hear me out!)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:05:59 am »

Err, what exactly are you talking about, is this some abandoned game or something?  Are you talking about actual air pressure? Perhaps the Queen song?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:07:52 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 03:07:51 am »

Seems to be a game idea about a underwater base or something.

Think ss13 but underwater.

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 03:08:56 am »

Sorry, just very excited.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is pretty much what it was, a game about being in an underwater base, similar to SS13 in regards to storyline, research facility by crazy company, something goes horribly wrong. That thing is randomised, and you can have one of several jobs, etc. So, you try to fix it/get out/whatever, all the while dodging huge deep-sea monsters/insane crewmembers. It's pretty awesome in concept, but there's currently no execution.
Are you LOST?

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:23:57 am »

Reminds me of the Ever17 storyline sans the dues ex machina.

This kind of smells like the "first" game idea someone online has.
Usually they are about online multiplayer games.
Usually they do not work out.
Usually they are abandoned.

Hmm. Isn't it 2012?

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 03:26:26 am »

Yes, it is. That does not mean that it has been entirely abandoned, they may have moved to IRC. May have. Either way, I simply wish to see if someone can make it. I obviously can't make it alone, and I won't even end up trying to do it until I have backing. Kickstarter could always be used, I guess. Either way, it was the brainchild of /v/, then put onto that forum for development, then either migrated or abandoned, then rediscovered by me. And so, yes, it could have been abandoned. That's why we'll (hopefully) try it!
Are you LOST?

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 03:27:51 am »

What will your role be in the "possible" development X-03?

Got any programming skills? Any art skills? Maybe even writing skills?

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 03:29:00 am »

I have writing skills, and I have learned some basic C in only about an hour, so I can program, I guess. We do have the forum to scavenge from if need be, and either way the ideas behind it are fine as-is, although I think more could be added.
Are you LOST?

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 03:38:41 am »

Admittedly if your inspiration is self-described as short lived I'd sleep on it a week and see if you yourself are really that dedicated to it.

Making a game is a long process, and making a /good/ game is an even longer one, and you'll no doubt hit multiple points where you're burned out temporarily.

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 03:41:38 am »

The thing is, nothing I'm EVER inspired to do lasts when I don't do it for a week. And I don't want it to be lost again. I'm also time-pressed, as my holidays end in 2 weeks, so I want to get maximum work out of me before I have to go back to doing stuff I don't like all too much.
Are you LOST?

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 03:50:54 am »

Just not possible in 2 weeks.

and I have learned some basic C in only about an hour, so I can program, I guess

If you're some kind of genius, yes :)

Plus, pure C is pretty much obsolete nowadays. Try C++. I might get flamed for that statement tho :)

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 03:51:25 am »

I didn't say anything about finishing it, just doing as much as possible in said 2 weeks.
Are you LOST?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 03:55:54 am »

It sounds like a great idea. But, you see, the problem with making a game is it's quite a difficult and long process. Certainly something that would require dedication, and time. Alot of time.

I have writing skills, and I have learned some basic C in only about an hour, so I can program, I guess. We do have the forum to scavenge from if need be, and either way the ideas behind it are fine as-is, although I think more could be added.

If you wanted to learn to program (more than an hour of C is needed for any real program), then wanting this can be a great way to encourage you to learn. I continue to teach myself programming because I have ideas I want to bring to life. If you have awesome ideas, work towards them and the reward can be great. I wouldn't start with C though. For a 1-man or small team project, its probably better off using something a little higher level. C# or C++ for example, or even a scripting language like Python, Lua (With SDL/OpenGL bindings) etc.

If you wat to, you could use a development program to cover most the rendering/physics etc (as these things are quite compilcated and time-consuming to code well.)

Did I mention art? Yeah. Art. Time. Practice etc.

Eg Unity, you can use Javascript, C# or Boo, and Unity can do most of the hard stuff for you.

I didn't say anything about finishing it, just doing as much as possible in said 2 weeks.

Use the 2 weeks to learn about programming in general, and further your skills. There are plenty of tuturials out there on the internet.

EDIT: Looks like your under Pressure. Hehehe  8).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:57:40 am by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

X-03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 04:01:01 am »

The main problem I currently face is that I don't know where to get an artist. I'm terrible at art, and It'll take longer to do the art myself than most other ways, and so I just need to find someone, although I don't know who. I'll look around, and I did do Python before, don't worry ;) . What path do you think I should take? Since I only have access to free software, I don't have many options, and to make 1 mistake can be to mess it all up, so I'd like to start by asking which language is recommended, and a time estimate so I don't run out of inspiration for unreal expectations and deadlines. I understand that you may not have even known about this before now, but I'm simply asking for an opinion, nothing more. Thanks very much for the support, everyone, I'm keeping this thread open for the sake of communication about this. :)
Are you LOST?

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 04:05:07 am »

I think you'll have a lot easier of a time finding an artist once you learn to code and have some demonstrable proof of concept material. You can use shitty placeholder graphics until then; anyone worth their salt to work with will recognize 'developer graphics', so not being able to Art Good is of no detriment.
Pages: [1] 2 3