Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: PRESSURE (Hear me out!)  (Read 3734 times)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PRESSURE (Hear me out!)
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 10:38:35 pm »

I've heard that a couple different people are working on games based on the concept, but I don't know of any websites, emails, or trips related to said work.

X-03

• Bay Watcher
  • Resistances must be silenced, the world purged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 01:35:42 am »

Why not just use SS13, but set it underwater? There an SS13 'mod' where its set on Mars.
Because it is a first-person game, not Bird's Eye View. And it would be far more EPIC as its own game, not to mention the complete differences in gameplay.
Are you LOST?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 02:00:56 am »

The earliest builds of Bastion I saw were done with images out of the ADND Monster Manual. Not even joking. They hammered out the mechanics first and the rest could fall in place later.

A really good idea is to build this in an easy to use existing engine - Unreal or Unity work REALLY well for building stuff quickly with excellent toolsets.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:02:29 am by Tilla »

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 07:31:44 am »

Just curious, why doesn't anyone speak of java?

Also, X-03, I've been excited about making a game lots of time before, and I do know a bit of programming, so I just want to tell you: don't blame yourself if you give up on it. Having no experience, and no motivation outside the "i want to make a cool game" just isn't enough. That and the fact that you'll just have no life if you try to do this, as you cannot imagine how time consuming it is.
Anywho, if you still want to go through with it, sit down and PLAN THE SHIT out of it. Not even talking about the big game, but the learning projects. Seriously, deciding things as you program is the worst, most demotivating thing there is. You should establish goals and work towards them, that's how time should be spent, not thinking "ok what do I do now?"
It isn't easy to hear (read) such negative replies, but it is the reality of things.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 08:42:55 am »

If minecraft has taught us anything, it's that you don't make game that could require a lot of memory in java.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 10:48:13 am »

Just curious, why doesn't anyone speak of java?

Interpreted languages don't have much of a place in environments where you care about performance, especially gaming. See minecraft example above.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 12:14:10 pm »

Java isn't interpreted. That's a common misconception.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 12:31:51 pm »

Java is compiled in RAM at the beginning of execution, right? In theory that allows it to optimize for every hardware config it runs on?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 01:42:22 pm »

Java isn't interpreted. That's a common misconception.

Well, that shows you how long it's been since I worked in it. Interesting reading, though. Even more glad I switched out of my CompSci major, for various reasons.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 03:00:50 pm »

1: Don't worry about bad art. Just draw squiggles and stuff. Art can come after the game is completely finished.

2: Don't start a complex project for your first project. You are new, and this game sounds hard to make.
2A: You might get discouraged because it's so far above your ability.
2B: You'll make mistakes early on that ruin the end product because you can't change the foundation without basically starting over.
2C: It will take longer than your current project fatigue limit.

3: Right now you don't have any relevant marketable skills.
3A: Being the "idea man" or "project lead" isn't worth anything when everyone else is pulling a hundred times more weight.
3B: People want to join a project with a good chance of success, not a sinking ship.
3C: If all you're putting into the soup is the stone, you're likely to get kicked out of the project when everyone inevitably realizes it.

So just start with a really simple game idea, learn the ropes, get a couple games under your belt, and you'll be in a better position to make your big game idea and also gather partners. There's a reason there are so many Tetris, Breakout, and Pong clones: people make these to get better at making games. Make a platformer, write some mods for an FPS, script for an RPG. By the time you get through a solid year of work you'll be giving us all advice ;P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 12:26:59 am »

3A: Being the "idea man" or "project lead" isn't worth anything when everyone else is pulling a hundred times more weight.
This here, is a pet peeve of mine. It just irks me, as it speaks about the incredible inability/inexperience of the 'idea man'. It also just strikes me personally as arrogant. 'My idea so awesome of course folks will want to work on it, duh!'. Seriously, ideas are dime a dozen. And being a project leader is a subset of learned skills. And if this is your first project, and dont know really know how to program in any language, then you cant really appreciate the size of the project you're asking for, or the technical feasibility or limitations.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 12:51:14 am »

Its not so much that Ideas are a dime a dozen, as it is people who want to be idea men are a dime a dozen. Random people with random ideas are in no short supply, so if I was looking for an actual Idea man I would be looking for the "best" one, with expereince in other areas of importance (design, marketing etc). Which the vast majority don't have.

Also alot of script languages are now actually compiled, and can perform quite reasonably fast. Its quite reasonable to code games in them (obviously not for large-scale projects though).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 2 [3]