Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding power/electricity?  (Read 1478 times)

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile
Modding power/electricity?
« on: November 05, 2016, 04:45:51 pm »

So, I was thinking of adding in a couple of metals into my mod, one of which is Orichalcum, which I plan on being a utility metal, that if possible will be used as an expansion for power and electricity.

What I'm asking here is if would be possible to do just that. Would it be possible to expand the power structure in the game, so that I could create a full power system, with steam engines powering up capacitors and electric forges. Is something like this possible in the game right now?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding power/electricity?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 05:16:32 pm »

So, I was thinking of adding in a couple of metals into my mod, one of which is Orichalcum, which I plan on being a utility metal, that if possible will be used as an expansion for power and electricity.

What I'm asking here is if would be possible to do just that. Would it be possible to expand the power structure in the game, so that I could create a full power system, with steam engines powering up capacitors and electric forges. Is something like this possible in the game right now?
Nope. I do however know dfhack can implement a building that can provide power. Masterwork has(had?) a steam generator powered by magma and water that did that.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 01:15:18 pm »

It would be (in theory) possible to make an electrical system, but you would need to implement the entire thing yourself using DFHack. Are you really good with Lua? If so you could probably do it, but it will be a lot of work.

If you stick with mechanical power things become downright easy. Go download Rubble (see sig) and look at the "Libs/Powered" addon and all the many "User/Powered/*" addons. I have a bunch of Lua modules that make powered workshops easy, even trivial.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 01:35:06 pm »

It would be (in theory) possible to make an electrical system, but you would need to implement the entire thing yourself using DFHack. Are you really good with Lua? If so you could probably do it, but it will be a lot of work.

If you stick with mechanical power things become downright easy. Go download Rubble (see sig) and look at the "Libs/Powered" addon and all the many "User/Powered/*" addons. I have a bunch of Lua modules that make powered workshops easy, even trivial.

Sadly, I have no experience with Lua, just HTML, CSS, and a bit of Java. Though, I will look into Rubble. This idea I've had is a pretty late thing in the schedule to be done, I just wanted the framework for it to be done in one of the next updates for my mod. That is, I'd have liked to have had the batteries and some sort of rudimentary power-lines set up. But, if that's what it takes then I'll probably implement it later on.