Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is undump fps method relevant with minecarts dumping now?  (Read 3156 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
is undump fps method relevant with minecarts dumping now?
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:28:21 pm »

I was reading about fps increases, and the undump method http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Vasiln/Undump

However, I know that minecarts do the same thing, except flawlessly (as long as dwarf's don't get in the way).  I was wondering if minecarts could be used to get the same fps increase by auto dumping the contents at the end of the track.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: is undump fps method relevant with minecarts dumping now?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:12:38 pm »

Ok I know about the undump method but I need to ask, what fps increase is this that you are referring to? As far as I can see the undump method simply is a method of consolidating all of your junk into a single tile, which could be done just as easily with a garbage dump zone dumping into a chute (or even more efficiently with a mine cart dumping), a thing that doesn't provide fps boosts.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 03:49:05 pm »

see "increasing your framerate"
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Maximizing_framerate

if I drop an object down a chute onto a stockpile, isn't it still a forbidden item once it lands?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 04:08:34 pm »

if I drop an object down a chute onto a stockpile, isn't it still a forbidden item once it lands?

You can just unforbid it.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 04:13:55 pm »

yeah, but that's manual, you have to keep doing that..  The question was, is the undump procedure layed out in the wiki irrelevant because minecarts can dump onto a stockpile without the need of unforbidding it (what I meant by flawless in my original post).

I'm assuming the answer is yes, and if the answer is yes, minecarts have allowed a way to enhance gameplay through prolonged fps...

Update:
Found a better way to use quantum stockpiles
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129146.msg4441994#msg4441994
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:41:26 pm by thistleknot »