Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Cube World  (Read 25816 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Cube World
« Reply #270 on: October 04, 2019, 11:03:06 am »

the tag are user driven iirc, and steam ranking comes from a game growth, this was big back then so it has likely got a large uptick of installs at release, tricking steam algorithms thinking it was viral because they saw three years of organic growth condensed into a week

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 04, 2019, 11:49:35 am »

At this point, I'm far more interested in the developer.  Was this their first project?  Will they declare this a success and try to ride the wave into another project?  Are they going to disappear and then re-appear later?  Are they done forever?  Was this the project they did on the side of some other employment?  What other employment?

Heh, now that is the game somebody should be making!  Indy developer simulator!
I think the word you were looking for is "monster".

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2019, 12:19:37 pm »

At this point, I'm far more interested in the developer.  Was this their first project?  Will they declare this a success and try to ride the wave into another project?  Are they going to disappear and then re-appear later?  Are they done forever?  Was this the project they did on the side of some other employment?  What other employment?

You're late.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/362620/Software_Inc/

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2019, 12:43:28 pm »

You're late.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/362620/Software_Inc/

A game which has changed the nitty gritty mechanics a few times and is still good. "change is bad" ends up being not really the case. Just have to relearn it. Software Inc still feels good and solid a lot of the time. Definitely still better than the Game Dev and Dev Tycoons of the world.

I too am curious if the current feedback of Cube World will sink it. There's a lot of squashing of feedback right now. Would trigger a DDoS response if it was possible. Steam is not just a big audience for commerce but also a safety net.

It seems like the goal of Cube World today is bite size experiences. You tackle a zone and stop. Forget what you learned, move over a zone, and do it all over again. Ride the nostalgia even if you're bored a half hour or 4 hours in. Make your own fun in co-op and nobody is ever leveled differently from each other. Just pick another zone and your friend is only slightly faster than you on a boat. Diehards and newbs only different in how good their reaction time is.

0cra_tr0per

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2019, 03:10:56 pm »

petition to change the thread title to Cube Region
Sigtext
Latest quote:
Little Billy: Daddy's here and he's cooking? And he let's me drink beer!? OH BOY! Ecstatic
Overlength quote count: 2

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2019, 03:34:40 pm »

I was talking to a friend trying to work out the weirdness of the game, and why would anyone think the system was a good idea, and the conclusion we got to the conversation was:

If CW is a symbolic hell and there's no end goal, and if the game's design weirdly resembles the infinite iterative process the dev went through (almost feeling deliberately so), then the end goal and win state must be the same the dev found out of his iterative process. Which is to leave the loop at any random iteration. That's how he escaped his demons.
In other words, you win the game when you stop playing, and speedrun it by never playing it.

My soul is free now.  :P  :P
I hope the dude makes justice to his own work in the future.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2019, 03:42:56 pm »

Ah ha! Another game I have gotten the best ending for without paying a cent, along with Spec Ops: The Line.

It's a weird strategy to make money as a game dev but I guess whatever floats your boat.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]