Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 636139 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 05:44:50 pm »

I would get Pokemon Conquest, but I'm saving my money for the summer sale.That being said, I think I've enjoyed the Mystery Dungeon games the most( I teared up during the "In the future of Darkness scenario."). I hope we get a 5th gen mystery dungeon(with a more varried plot considering the ones we have can be summed up as 'I'm a human that is now a pokemon. Oh, I found a best friend. Quest. Quest. Exposition. Exposition. Oh noes, we're being villified by the community, time to run away and fight some legendaries.). Also, illusion seeds were too fun to use, beating the stew out of Primal Dialga while he was tripping balls was hillarious.

As for Black and White 2, I'm on the fence.
Once upon a time I played through Gold. The plot was pretty bad, the 'capture them all' premise held no interest for me, and I did not find grinding levels interesting or fun either, and stopped playing almost immediately after finishing the game. Overall I'd rate it as "boring" and have never bought another (that was actually a gift, I didn't buy it), and likely never will.

So I have to ask: You people find Pokemon enjoyable? Why?

:dalek-explain:
For me? Its things like this.
Sorry for errors but I'm in sort of a hurry. I'll edit it later.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 05:55:04 pm »

Most of the appeal for me is Nostalgia. Pokemon was one of my first game series I played when I was a wee kid. Even if I'm not into grinding/collecting like a maniac anymore, I had a lot of good times with those games.

Also, I'm with UV. I enjoyed the Mystery Dungeon series the most.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 06:12:23 pm »

I recently bought a ds lite in order to play Soul Silver, which was about $100 well spent for one game. In my opinion *puts on hipster glasses* second generation was the peak of Pokémon. The first generation was entirely too unbalanced with psychic only weak to around two moves and dragon having no damaging moves beyond fixed damage Dragon Rage. Gen III is when they started to try too hard to come up with "original" new Pokémon but still had a few gems. I have no comment on gen V.

I've always been pretty good at battling when it is just amongst friends but I simply don't have the drive when it comes to competitive battling but I can see the appeal.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 06:44:11 pm »

The older pokemon fans i saw are often minmaxing douchebags with hillarious builds no standard pokemon team can even dent.
Once someone had a Magikarp oneshoting everything i had after a short setup i pretty much couldn't prevent nless i had just the right team.
I so gave up and went back to playing TF2 and Navyfield.
No, you see, the fun comes in when you murder said teams with naught but a shitty coelacanth and a bipedal cow. The Magikarp passing team is easily stoppable via many methods.

1. Ghost type pokemon. Tackle can't hit you.
2. Haze removes all stat boosts
3. Kill whatever is going to pass the boosts. (Or at the least, make it impossible to switch out.)
4. Use Roar or something to make the magikarp switch out and lose all its boosts
5. Use a focus sash/sturdy pokemon, tank the hit, and kill it in one hit.
6. Just kill it when it switches in

etc, etc, etc.

Gimmicky teams aren't fun to play against. There are two types of teams I like to fight.

A. Well made teams, or at least balanced ones, that require a varied strategy to beat. Standard fare.

B. HOLYBALLSWHAT teams, or on Smogon, Ubers Tier. This is the team with the Arceus, Blaziken, Kyogre, and other ridiculously powerful Pokemon. The fun comes in trying to beat these teams with as weak of a team as possible. A lot of people like this lead with a Deoxys-A or Deoxys-S, two really fast psychic types without a lot of defense. They like to set up entry hazards, especially when they think their opponent can't kill them in one hit. If their opponent can, they like to use their ludicrous attack power to remove the threat. Cue Psychic or some other high-powered Psychic move, come to tear my Sawk a new one. He holds on with his Sturdy special ability, uses Payback (super effective, bonus damage for going second) to completely obliterate the enemy lead. Their entire strategy off course, you proceed to disorient them with a Miltank. What moves to use? They don't know, they've never fought a Miltank with a Giratina! (And quagsire/relicanth's double weakness to grass combined with miltank's boosted attack when hit by a grass move makes for fun switches.)

I am an unabashed challenge mode power gamer.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 06:48:33 pm »

I recently bought a ds lite in order to play Soul Silver, which was about $100 well spent for one game. In my opinion *puts on hipster glasses* second generation was the peak of Pokémon. The first generation was entirely too unbalanced with psychic only weak to around two moves and dragon having no damaging moves beyond fixed damage Dragon Rage. Gen III is when they started to try too hard to come up with "original" new Pokémon but still had a few gems. I have no comment on gen V.

I've always been pretty good at battling when it is just amongst friends but I simply don't have the drive when it comes to competitive battling but I can see the appeal.

Give black/white a shot.  Best ones since 2nd gen.  Good variety of crap to do post game.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 07:02:42 pm »

By the way, for you more hardcore meta game people, you might wish to know that Black2/White2 has an achievement system with stuff like beating the elite 4 using only pokemon of a specific type, or beating them with only one mon. It also has 3 difficulty levels, though you need a seperate copy that has already beaten the champion if you want to use Challenge mode or Assist mode from the vey start of the game.
It's FEF, not FEOF

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 07:11:37 pm »

Give black/white a shot.  Best ones since 2nd gen.  Good variety of crap to do post game.
It may be a case of picking one defect and focusing on it but my main issue with Black and White is Garbador. Also that one that is a candlestick. Oh, and the one that is a honey comb. Plus the fact that it is the third game in a row to have a fire/fighting starter. And several other things that just scream "Not really trying anymore."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 07:21:15 pm »

I don't mind the candlestick overmuch, but Garbodor and that snow cone piss me off. (Plus the fact that neither the fighting chimp nor the luchador boar are as awesome as Blaziken.) Every version has its strokes of idiocy along with the gems, though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 07:32:09 pm »

I used to love pokemon up to emerald. Then they switched to that 3d engine on pokemon pearl/black/etc that looks like sketchup ate something bad and vomited it, and I haven't bothered playing anymore. The art team that did those DS titles must burn in a fire, because it isn't a simple art style due to the DS's limitations. It is a fucking ugly art style.
Are there any pokemon spinoffs that don't look as fucking ugly as the mothership series?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 07:39:18 pm »

Pokemon Online is all battling, all the time. (Without the terrible animated sprites.)

I actually liked the look of RSE the most. When they went to DPP, they cut the framerate in half and made all of the effects look silly. After years of 60fps and really smooth animation, 30 looked like shit for a while.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 07:41:14 pm »

I've been playing Pokemon Emerald recently to kill time on public transit.

The Battle Frontier is frigging hard.

That is all.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 07:42:55 pm »

Pokemon Online is all battling, all the time. (Without the terrible animated sprites.)

I actually liked the look of RSE the most. When they went to DPP, they cut the framerate in half and made all of the effects look silly. After years of 60fps and really smooth animation, 30 looked like shit for a while.

DPP still looks shit IMO. Damn what's the problem of mainstream game industry? Are they allergic to sprite-based games?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 07:45:35 pm »

I like the current graphics, I never really made much of a distinction between the art styles Though I did love the way Castelia City and related areas in Black/White looked.
It's FEF, not FEOF

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 11:34:28 pm »

Does anyone follow the guideline that there are only 251 Pokemon? Because I refuse to acknowledge Pokemon after that.

It's all Feebas's fault really. It looks like Magikarp's meth-addicted sister.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 11:55:34 pm »

Dude, Feebas is pretty much the worst ever. I remember searching and searching and searching all over that whole lake looking for the ONE TILE that had Feebas in it, in Sapphire.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 463