Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 636239 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All the more reason Breloom is awesome. Best capture 'mon in the game and a top-tier competitive battler. Heck, you didn't even mention Technician STAB Mach Punch!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

I miss Technician Low Sweep.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

It's funny how barely anyone actually uses Greninja's signature move "water shuriken". I was half expecting it to use mat block to protect against all those missiles. Too bad it doesn't look like it'll do the protean thing and just start changing types on the fly.

I also bet Hwalucha will show up as an assist with its wrestling moves.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem with Water Shuriken is, it's unreliable. It has a 3/8 chance of being worse than Aqua Jet (30 BP), and a 3/8 chance of only being slightly better than Aqua Jet (45 BP). Average power is ~47.5, but it falls under that value 3/4ths of the time.

Now, if Greninja had Skill Link instead of Protean, we'd have a 75 BP priority move with STAB. Then again, Protean is a pretty darn good ability...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

Your math's a bit off there. Its average power is 45, the same as the power of three hits. (IIRC it 2/3/4/5-hit moves have a 3:3:1:1 ratio of probabilities)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Your math's a bit off there. Its average power is 45, the same as the power of three hits. (IIRC it 2/3/4/5-hit moves have a 3:3:1:1 ratio of probabilities)
2-2-1-1 (1/3-1/3-1/6-1/6, to be precise).  Water Shuriken's average power is indeed around 47.5, give or take rounding errors, but it will underperform 1/3 of the time, match 1/3 of the time, and overperform 1/3 of the time when compared to Aqua Jet. 

EDIT: Whoops, Aqua Jet only has 40 power.  It overperforms 2/3 of the time, them. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:36:38 pm by Culise »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

I wouldn't be surprised if Cloyster got water shuriken at some point.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, good point on the probabilities. I pulled the 47.52 average damage from Bulbapedia, but you're right on the chances - as of Gen V, it's 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/6 - 1/6, not the 3/8 - 3/8 - 1/8 - 1/8 spread I remembered. Doh.

Water Shuriken on Cloyster would be pretty good. It would obsolete Ice Shard and Razor Shell at least. Wouldn't be a guaranteed pickup, since you'd still be blocked by physical walls that Hydro Pump can overwhelm... but then again, you could run an Adamant build.
Unless it can replace Rock Blast instead...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Protean is a darn broken ability, like Gale Wings.

I think Nintendo Game Freak had intended for hidden abilities in Gen VI to be much, much, much, much, much rarer.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:53:13 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Charizard returns as a solo fighter, with a new final smash (appears to be Mega Charizard X, functioning similarly to Wario's Final Smash 'Warioman',) and a new Pokemon representative - GRENINJA. Looks pretty unique!

No, he seems pretty similar to Lucario from Brawl. Substitution counter? What appears to be a large water shuriken? He behaves too much like Lucario. On another note, I noticed there was Mega Lucario in a few of the shots. I bet it's a Final Smash. I haven't been keeping tabs on the next Smash Bros. game, though, so I dunno.
Also often called Boowells.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

Pokemon Black and White soundtracks were put up on itunes a couple days ago.
It's FEF, not FEOF

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

The only black and white song I can even remember is the fashion show gym music. And that's from 2.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Protean is a darn broken ability, like Gale Wings.

I think Nintendo Game Freak had intended for hidden abilities in Gen VI to be much, much, much, much, much rarer.
I'm not certain on that.  If anything, they seemed to intend to make hidden abilities much more common.  In Gen5, the only way to get them in-game was grotto Pokemon, and that was B2/W2 only, recharged at a 5% chance every 256 steps taken, only had a 20% chance of Pokemon, and were limited to a tiny subset.  Breeding them was female-only, and Ditto-breeding automatically nullified any chance of passing them on.  Otherwise, you had to go online to Dream World.  In Gen6, you get both Friend Safaris and Horde Battles, both of which are easier for the player to access and which, combined, give access to far more Pokemon in-game.  Breeding also now allows males, as long as you breed with a Ditto.  All in all, it's much more accessible than it used to be, and in a very systematic way; it's not the sort of thing that would have been tacked on at the end. 

Genuinely, I think they just wanted to break some old trends (mediocre starters, terrible Route-1 birds/rodents) and went a bit too far in that respect.  They've been doing that off and on; Staraptor is all sorts of smashy fun, while Blaziken, Infernape, and Swampert all were quite acceptable, and Chesnaught's biggest weakness is simply it has to share the same metagame with Talonflame.  They definitely did a better job with Diggersby, though; Huge Power gives it quite an offensive kick, but doesn't cause it to overpower to quite the same degree as free priority or perma-STAB. 
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 463