Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 658426 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: *Trumpets*
« Reply #4065 on: January 13, 2015, 07:52:43 pm »

Or you could use one of the many pokemon who have abilities that automatically prevent pokemon from running away.

Not to mention the use of Endeavor on a very fast pokemon.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:57:58 pm by Neonivek »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: January 14, 2015, 12:35:28 pm »

I don't think there's a metagame where (at least on the start of the ladder) people aren't whiners. Once you win a few and your opponents are good enough to understand risk and reward into their strategy, the bitching lessens somewhat. (Though sometimes your Thunderbolt paralyzes three pokemon in a row, who knows.)

I suppose.  I guess the shitler teams will dry up as well.  I made myself a zigzagoon team too, though not quite as one-note (only one memento user, more win conditions than just zigzagoon).  I'm not a fan.  He reminds me of swords dance shedinja, if his many obvious and extremely hard counters are gone it's basically impossible to beat him, but otherwise he's garb.

One-note teams like that are pretty common at the lower ends of all the tiers I guess, where people don't know how to deal with them.  I remember playing the Espeon passchain team back in BW and it was like playing single-player.  Unless you make a mistake it doesn't really matter what the other guy does.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:58:22 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: January 14, 2015, 12:58:11 pm »

The random leagues, balanced hackmons, and challenge cup are all super chill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: January 14, 2015, 02:23:01 pm »

I just realized that I just don't like the basic elements of Fire, Water, Grass, and Electricity in Pokémon.

I think I should just quit playing the series if that is the case.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: January 14, 2015, 02:23:53 pm »

wat
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: January 14, 2015, 02:26:12 pm »

wat

It is like half the reason to play the games as well as a HUGE chunk of the strategy especially now with the super weather.

I need to beat the mindset of the games into my head >_< but I just keep liking other types more. Like Fighting, Normal, and Rock... and just dislike SOO much the idea of including pokemon I don't like on my team.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:29:51 pm by Neonivek »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: January 14, 2015, 02:57:38 pm »

Then...don't use them?  Electric isn't even a "core" element (insofar as you can even say such exists); it doesn't fit into the basic starter triangle, and it's only been a starter in one generation which was based explicitly on the anime.  If you don't like any Water, Fire, or Grass Pokemon in the entire game, there's absolutely no reason why you should feel forced to use any of them.  If you want to use a weather team without them, Sandstorm and Hail are both viable options.  The super-weather is restricted to two legendaries which are banned in ranked play if you play in-game, and are relegated to the very highest tier in Smogon tiered-play via online simulators; you certainly aren't forced to use either of those, either.  Even if you're uber-competitive, plenty of viable Pokemon carry none of those types. 

If you're trying to beat the mindset of the games into your head, probably the first lesson into the developers' conception of how the game 'should' be played is this quote from the games themselves: "Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: January 14, 2015, 03:02:39 pm »

If you want to use a weather team without them, Sandstorm and Hail are both viable options

I don't actually like weather teams mostly because they never benefit the pokemon I use. As eventually It will be a detriment to any of the other pokemon I send out. That and a good weather game forces the pokemon you use... though given I like Hippodown...

Since while I like Rock, I usually like only 1 or 2 on my team at most. Yet I don't like steel types oddly enough.

I like Normal types because of their flexibility and Fighting for the very same reasons.

I guess it is because my favorite strategy in Pokémon is... Flexibility within single pokemon. Yet that is a bit like having a deck with 100 cards in it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:12:58 pm by Neonivek »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: January 14, 2015, 05:43:29 pm »

Weather isn't that big a deal anymore really.  It was, back when weather lasted forever, but now that even the ability weather effects only last a few turns it's not nearly as big a deal.

You can make a lot of stuff work.
Shoes...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: January 14, 2015, 06:22:58 pm »

NU is my home tier, and one where weather teams are a bit of a rarity. If you don't like the weather-ability strategy, you might that tier.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: January 15, 2015, 02:47:54 am »

Weather teams are pretty rare in OU now too honestly.  Rain teams are by far the most common but they're still few and far between.  On the bright side it's still always glaringly obvious when you are fighting a weather team so you can start getting ready.

Weather seems reasonably common in LC. Obviously there's no drizzle in LC and while there are a few swift swimmers I've never actually seen a team using it.  Sun on the other hand has a very rich selection of major threats to choose both in chlorophyll sweepers and strong fire attackers.

Spoiler: My current LC team (click to show/hide)

I originally had a Life Orb Chlorophyll Deerling instead of Fletchling but my issue there was a lack of good switch-ins to the inevitable bigass Earthquakes.  Bellsprout can one-shot them once he's in barring focus sashes but he can't really switch in on them.  Fletchling solves that but it's an obvious switch and obviously most of the common earthquake users can also do rock things.  So it's a conundrum, but one I'm not sure I can really solve easily.
Shoes...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: January 16, 2015, 11:40:07 pm »

...Well then.

ORAS has a subtle "one does not simply walk into Mordor" reference, concealed in the dialogue of the old guy in the easternmost house of Pacifidlog Town.

That was unexpected. Speaking of memes, SomethingAwful would like to tell you that MY POKÉMON IS FIGHT
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: January 17, 2015, 12:38:24 am »

Remember my MGallade/Bisharp/Sylveon team?  The one I was continually trying to wrangle together a second half for?

Well I decided I wanted something more defensive than Breloom and went with Chesnaught, then I wanted to clear up my team's weakness to powerful ground attacks (Mold breaker excadrill 6-0s my team), and so on and so on until something evil happened.

Strange times.  I kind of like it, aside from the lack of stealth rocks.  Still wondering if there's a way to slip them in.  Ignore the early fuckup with bisharp and gengar.

Now though I'm kind of wondering if it wouldn't make sense to just take my new FWG and head down to UU with a new offensive core.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:46:40 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: January 20, 2015, 01:39:50 pm »

Bunp with a new team.  I've been experimenting a lot with different teams, finally shrugged and put together the official ORAS OU team.

It's about as standard as it gets right now.  Eschewed setup sweepers since I'm not very good at using them and I feel like all out attackers do better right now, scarf keldeo cleans up just fine.  Triple volt-turn gives plenty of opportunities to bring my heavy hitters in, Metagross, Keldeo, and Magnezone cover each other's bases pretty well though I'm a little heavy on choice items so I have to play carefully.  Thunder wave on clefable is there to slow people down for Metagross but I haven't gotten a ton of use out of it so I dunno.  MIght switch it out entirely for something more fun like a spiker though I don't have much to punish defog right now aside from just switching something nasty in on him.

Also I'm getting better!  Consistently staying around 1300 which is better than I've been getting.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:42:36 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: January 22, 2015, 07:28:29 am »

Just thought I'd mention it in the thread for the sake of those who haven't already found out via other sites: a Contrary Serperior is now available in NA / EU / AU via password mystery gift. (Password: POKEMON497)
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 463