Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 641791 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: The ULTRASun and ULTRAMoon Rises
« Reply #6240 on: September 18, 2017, 06:44:03 pm »

I was doing some Wonder Trading earlier today (I had a bunch of Mimikyu that I wanted to get rid of), and I got a Squirtle that...well, I think it's hacked.

Level 1, Rain Dish ability, knows Dragon Pulse, Aura Sphere, Aqua Ring, and Mirror Coat.

If it's hacked, what should I do with it?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: September 18, 2017, 06:56:17 pm »

It's not impossible that it's hacked, but there's no proof.  In the very simplest case, Dragon Pulse and Aura Sphere can both be bred onto it via Clawitzer, and Aqua Ring and Mirror Coat via Corsola; alternates exist for everything except Aura Sphere, but this is the shortest breeding chain.  Squirtle's Hidden Ability has been widely spread since previous gens released it, most prominently Kalos' Friend Safari.  While it may not have been legitimately bred, it's certainly rules-legal as far as the game is concerned given the available information.  If it were in an illegal ball (*cough* Cherish), had impossible ribbons, strange location data, or the like, it'd be easier to tell. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:01:40 pm by Culise »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: September 18, 2017, 07:08:56 pm »

It appears to be in a Dream Ball, if that means anything. On the other hand, its location data says that the egg was received from Nursery helpers and it was hatched on Route 6, so probably legit?

No ribbons that I can see.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: September 18, 2017, 07:14:31 pm »

Looks like Dream World Pokemon did include the Kanto starters via an event, so a Dream Ball Squirtle is not impossible due to the Gen 7 changes to Pokeball breeding (to wit, that males can pass balls on).  Given the location, I'd provisionally designated it somewhat suspicious (Dream Ball Squirtles aren't exactly common), but not automatically hacked. 

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: September 18, 2017, 08:01:23 pm »

I doubt it's hacked. Sounds more like a breeder releasing failed versions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: September 18, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »

Man, if this is a failure I'd hate to see the successes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: September 18, 2017, 08:13:47 pm »

Got any info on its IVs?

As for what to do with it, has "go kill something with it" come to mind?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: September 18, 2017, 08:17:31 pm »

Oh dear god no, I'm not even to the second island's first trial on this file. I don't think I can check IVs until after the E4.

I just might go kill stuff with it. Will have to be careful not to replace the movelist though, it's very unusual.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: September 18, 2017, 10:03:48 pm »

Yea could just be a failure.  Once you have the parents set it's 100% of getting the egg moves you want.  Though even a breeding failure will probably have far better stats than anything you find in the wild.  It's probably got at least a few perfect IVs.  Us breeders are astoundingly strict when you compare our pokes to unprofessionally bred or wild pokes.

Pretty much every pro breeder is throwing away the pokemon equivalents of Olympic athletes just because their stats are not quite perfect.  Every pokemon I use has at least 5 perfect IVs. Each one probably capable of carrying a trainer through the entire story from lv 1. :P.

P.S. There are Manual methods of getting IVs using math.   Or an online calculator.  At lv 50 assuming you never battled with it (and it has no EVs from it's original trainer, most breedjects don't) or you know it's EVs, you can know it's IVs within 2 points.  Even at lv 1 you will usually get a high ivs or low ivs verdict.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:11:17 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: September 19, 2017, 12:16:35 am »

Oh dear god no, I'm not even to the second island's first trial on this file. I don't think I can check IVs until after the E4.

I just might go kill stuff with it. Will have to be careful not to replace the movelist though, it's very unusual.

Its moveset is set up to synergise with Mega Blastoise's ability; Mega Launcher (also held by Clawitzer, whose signature ability it used to be). Mega Launcher powers up aura and pulse moves by 50%.
Currently, all moves that work with mega launcher are identifiable by their Japanese names, which contain "hadou" (like hadouken). These moves are:

Aura Sphere (Fighting type, power 80, special, cannot miss) - japanese name "Hadouden" ("Wave motion Bomb / Surge Bomb")
Dark Pulse (Dark type, power 80, special, can cause flinching, 100% accuracy) - Japanese name "Aku no Hadou" (Evil wave motion / Evil Surge)
Dragon Pulse (Dragon type, power 85, special, 100% accuracy) - Japanese name "Ryuu no Hadou" (Dragon wave motion / Dragon Surge)
Heal Pulse (Psychic type, Heals 50% of target's HP, status, cannot miss.) - Japanese name "Iyashi no Hadou" (Healing wave motion / Healing Surge). It heals 75% instead if powered up by Mega Launcher. Only Clawitzer can utilise Heal Pulse and Mega Launcher.
Origin Pulse (Water type, power 110, special, 85% accuracy (primal kyogre's signature move)) - Japanese name "Kongen no Hadou" (Original wave motion/ Origin Surge). No pokemon can have Mega Launcher and Origin Pulse. That said, it can still be powered up by Mega Launcher.
Water Pulse (Water type, power 60, special, 100% accuracy, 20% confusion chance) - Japanese name "Mizu no Hadou" (Water wave motion / Water surge).

Of these, Mega Blastoise can utilise all but Heal Pulse and Origin Pulse. It also has 135 special attack, which is considered "quite good", better than Clawitzer's 120, and vastly more bulk and higher speed to boot. It's great at breaking through walls and stalls, but it struggles against Blissey and Florges, who are too specially defensive for even a powered up Dark Pulse or Aura Sphere to break through.

It's a fantastic pokemon, really. For most battles, I'd say your Squirtle would become your trump card by the time you get access to Blastoisinite (I think that's immediately pre- E4? By the time you've cleared the Poni Gauntlet which is mid 50s in levels).

Anyway, yeah, I generally don't bother with going for perfect accuracy when breeding pokemon. If a passive pokemon like Umbreon doesn't have attack IVs or spatk IVs i'm not really worried by that, similarly if a glass cannon seems to have tiny defenses then i don't really mind, as it's already glassy. Wonder Trade gets me enough perfects to start producing 5IVs or 4IVs en masse, and that's good enough for all but the top of all players.

@ Sirus: You can check IVs after hatching 20 eggs and speaking to a guy who sits at the Battle tree, just after the Poni Gauntlet. It isn't likely unless you go straight hardcore into breeding and upgrading your Isles to hatch eggs passively that you'll have that before the Elite 4.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: September 19, 2017, 01:50:02 am »

Man, if this is a failure I'd hate to see the successes.
The successes are the same, but with 5% better stats.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: September 19, 2017, 02:58:52 am »

Yea pretty much.  And the attack and defense stats have a bit of randomness thrown in there to add some unpredictability.  The same move against the same pokemon won't always do exactly the same amount of damage every turn. So yer mostly just making up for that unpredictability with those stats.

But speed. A 124 speed pokemon will ALWAYS go after a 125 speed pokemon.  Always.  And who gets first hit is huge in pokemon.  Speed is key.  ...Unless there is a trick room up.  Then speed is the opposite of key.  I can't think of what the opposite of a key is.  Maybe a mango.  Yea in a trick room speed is a mango.

P.S. I don't think you can reach the battle tree before E4  I think it's blocked off.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:02:07 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: September 19, 2017, 03:49:28 am »

Yeah, speed control is always super useful. Sticky Web, weather + swift swim / slush rush / chlorophyll, tailwind, trick room. Those are all very powerful things themselves; chlorophyll turns Venusaur into a pretty dangerous sweeper.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: September 19, 2017, 04:49:48 am »

Just give it a few levels, and run the stats through an IV calculator. That's what everyone did before they showed a chart for you.

Might help if you stock up on EV-reducing berries, though I can't remember if they don't show up until the third island.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: September 19, 2017, 07:36:03 am »

First trees with EV-reducing berries are indeed the third island, just to confirm, though you can pick them up earlier via trade. 

Also, if you can't swing a multiplayer battle to check, your next-best option is the Battle Royal on Akala Island, since it should come not long after the first gym of that island if I recall properly.  It will set your levels to 50 automatically without adding any EVs. 

Also also, new serial codes: the Ash-cap Pikachu are now available for play by entering the code PIKACHU20.  You only get one, so choose wisely.  Poaching directly from Serebii...
  • September 19–25: Ash's Pikachu (Original Cap)
  • September 26 – October 2: Ash's Pikachu (Hoenn Cap)
  • October 3–9: Ash's Pikachu (Sinnoh Cap)
  • October 10–16: Ash's Pikachu (Unova Cap)
  • October 17–23: Ash's Pikachu (Kalos Cap)
  • October 24–30: Ash's Pikachu (Alola Cap)

Also also also: code DRACHE should unlock Ampharosite, Altarianite, Latiosite & Latiasite.

EDIT:

All Mega Stone codes will expire October 31st 2017I'll be editing in the list of all Mega Stone codes right after this for quick reference, in case folks didn't activate them as they came. And your list...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:54:14 am by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 463