Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 641337 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: The ULTRASun and ULTRAMoon Rises
« Reply #6285 on: September 27, 2017, 09:39:11 am »

Why exactly does Emboar have a flaming collar?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: September 27, 2017, 10:02:32 am »

Entei kinda looks like it has both moustache and beard.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: September 27, 2017, 10:25:49 am »

Why exactly does Emboar have a flaming collar?
Oh it's because even I was designing it I was modeling it after the old school uniforms delinquents would wear as well as a bit of Jotaro Kujo. Originally I was going to have his ability be Star Platinum as well but my lawyers told me that would be too much copyright infringement so I decided to make him just look the same, that's all.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: September 28, 2017, 12:12:29 am »

It's time for another one of Reudh's Rarely If Ever Used Pokemon Reviews!

This time, we have the Blossom Pokemon, Cherrim. A mechanically interesting pokemon with multiple forms dependent on weather? Where have I heard that before?

Anyway, Cherrim has two forms:
Overcast Form, in all weather except sun

And Sunny Form, in the sun.

It has one and only one ability, Flower Gift, which lets it transform into Sunny Form in sunny weather, and give a boost of 50% to it and its allies Attack and Special Defense while it is in Sunny Form. This sounds gamebreakingly strong, except that it's entirely conditional on sun remaining active. It also has rather mediocre stats:

70/60/70/87/78/85, base stat total of 450. No stat over 100 base. Best stat (barely) is its 87 Sp.Atk, which is frankly mediocre; a base 60 with moves boosted by 50% is better than a base 87 with no boosts, in my book.
It's more of a supportive pokemon, and that's okay. Cherrim has a fairly standard movepool for a Grass type, albeit shallow. Its viable moves include:

Sunny Day (obviously, but with the advent of Drought pokemon there is less reason to run this except to refresh it)
Solar Beam (120 power, one turn to charge, second turn release, but is instant if in sunlight)
Growth (+1 atk, +1spatk, doubles in sunlight)
maybe Healing Wish (User faints. Next pokemon to switch in heals to 100% hp and heals status.
maybe Aromatherapy (Heal all status of the team).

Oh, and of course you can do SubSeed, but there's few pokemon with Leech Seed that can't, and most can do it better. Plus, with the advent of Infiltrator and sound moves bypassing subs, it's much less viable than it used to be.

Now, the bads:

Shallow movepool.
Relatively mediocre stats, including poor defenses. It wants to be a supportive pokemon, but it doesn't have the defenses to do so. It wants to be a mixed attacker, or a sun sweeper, but it lacks the power to do so, unlike Sawsbuck or Simisage, other grass type members of its tier.
It's also a rather poor type defensively and offensively. Grass is hit super effectively by Bug, Flying, Fire, Ice and Poison and resists only Water, Ground, Grass, and Electric. Offensively, grass is super effective against water, rock and ground, and is resisted by seven types, those being Bug, Dragon, Fire, Flying, Steel, Poison, and Grass.
Cherrim has barely any viable coverage; it got access to Dazzling Gleam, but so did Gengar. Most of the pokemon it would like to eat for breakfast, like fragile water types, either out speed it or carry coverage that easily deals with poor Cherrim.

I personally really like Cherrim, people are never ready for the 50% boost to damage and special bulkiness it provides its teammates, but that's if you can keep it alive. I'm considering trying something like a Tailwind Salamence-M with Facade coming in on a burn/paralyse/poison, and getting Cherrim to set up a sunny day for further boosts. (For reference, Salamence-M already has high Attack, then gets a 50% boost from Flower Gift, then Facade doubles after a burn/paralyse/poison, and finally Aerilate changes Facade to Flying Type, which gives it 50% more from STAB and 20% more from Aerilate.)

But that's a gimmicky set, and that sums up Cherrim, really. It's gimmicky. It has a cool ability that would be amazing if it was on a grass type with sturdier defenses and/or better offenses, but poor Cherrim never got to see the light of day. Smogon has never let it out of bottom tier, because even with Flower Gift, it's horribly outclassed.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: September 28, 2017, 02:10:42 am »

Cherrim is one of those Pokemon that if I see I have it in random battles, I just tell the opponent he's going 6v5 on me.

Sunflora is in this list too.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: September 28, 2017, 03:14:52 pm »

Doublepost!

I just had a very depressing battle in Nova Sun.

I fought a random trainer in the second island who only had one Pokemon. I thought it was a joke, since most random trainers have 3 or 4.

This guy only had one. It was Snorlax.

Now this is really early in the game. All I had at this time was like... a level 22 Marshtomp, a Croagunk, Tangela, and a bunch of other no name nobodies. Items? All I got are berries.

So here comes Mr. Big Boy. Packing leftovers. I poison him with Tangela. He goes curse. I go fuck. Problems:

1. I don't actually have any good physical attack moves, let alone fighting moves.
2. I have to fight a level 30 curselax with leftovers?!

Okay, I whittle him down. He keeps cursing. At half health he uses rest. I go fuck.

I have nothing to fight him. Nothing can win against him.

So I lose. Then I try again. And I lose. I switch out my team. I lose.

On my fifth attempt or so, I'm down to just Tangela and one other Pokemon. It's a Wimpod.

Wimpod only has two moves because Wimpod only learns two moves. Struggle Bug and Sand Attack.

So my desperation move against this invincible giant wall was:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So here I was... Sitting in an endless battle against an invincible foe... His accuracy was reduced to nothing... His stats were unlimited... He couldn't hit me... I couldn't kill him...

Why are we still here...?

Just to suffer...?

Every turn, I can see you curse...

... and miss

... and then rest.

The Pokemon I've lost...

Every time you rest...

It's like you just won't die!

You feel it too, don't you!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: September 28, 2017, 03:29:37 pm »

Know what would have worked well against that? A Curse of your own.

Specifically, a Ghost-type using Curse. Now Snorlax is losing a quarter of his HP at the end of every turn. No matter how many times Snorlax curses back, it will suffer continual, consistent damage. Leftovers will only slow the damage down a little. Rest will bring all of his HP back, but does nothing to remove the Curse. And since the trainer only had the one Pokemon, he can't switch out to remove the curse.

Sure, whatever Ghost places the curse will likely die, but after that you can stall for time.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:33:02 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: October 04, 2017, 07:34:44 pm »

Regarding the Pikachu w/hat event, I found a comparison image for the different hats.

Do note that the dates for the first two(Indigo/Hoenn hats) have already passed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: October 04, 2017, 07:45:49 pm »

Yeah, I found a bunch of images on Serebii. Decided to forgo game reset shenanigans, since the only ones I really like are the original hat and the Unova hat.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: October 04, 2017, 08:43:10 pm »

The 3DS is probably the best handheld gaming console you can get right now. After you jailbreak it, you can play everything from SNES, NES, Genesis, GBA, DS, etc. etc. games perfectly, unlike Android or iOS emulators. Mine is so frigging old now but it's still puttering on with great battery life. If you got it for $20 you got a damn good deal.

Hell, right now I'm completely addicted to Nova Sun. Shit is so fun when it's not for babies. I just managed to get Master Rank in the Battle Royale and it was hard as balls, as it should be. Frigging triple Gliscor baton passers... I swear to god the AI just sees who you lead with then creates a team that absolutely counters that Pokemon. I started leading with Passimian with u-turn just so the AI wouldn't roflstomp my beloved Tyranitar.

Also I didn't realize Pokemon Sun / Moon in general just gets WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better once you're past all the tutorial handholding. I gave up playing it the first time around Lana's trial because I was sick of being artificially stuck everywhere.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: October 04, 2017, 08:45:21 pm »

Partially related question: does "jailbreaking" a 3DS prevent you from accessing things like the eShop, or SpotPass features, or anything along those lines?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: October 04, 2017, 09:28:14 pm »

Partially related question: does "jailbreaking" a 3DS prevent you from accessing things like the eShop, or SpotPass features, or anything along those lines?
No, but people have been banned for it. My friend's friend has been banned but no one else I know has. We all did the exact same thing so it's not really sure what exactly was the cause other than pure luck.

If you get banned, you can't play online like do online battles or trade. However you can still access the eshop, spotpass, and get updates and stuff.

Given that Naxza's 3DS only cost him $20 I assumed he doesn't give a shit if he gets banned. But maybe he does. Either way it's not without risk. If you are interested in doing it, it's a fairly simple process. All you need is an SD card and about 2 hours of file transfers. There's an excellent guide here: https://3ds.guide/

I'm not endorsing any piracy or anything like that. Jailbreaking isn't for that kind of shenanigans. It's more for like... running old games or playing modded roms (such as this excellent Nova Sun or removing shitty dubs from Atlus games) or even installing custom themes. The homebrew channel is pretty impressive these days in that it can patch a game directly through the 3DS now instead of you having to modify it on a computer. The Nova Sun patch for example is directly patched into the legit copy you bought on your 3DS. Then you can uninstall or reinstall the patch whenever you like.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: October 05, 2017, 01:32:45 pm »

The new poison UB looks straight out of Dragonball Z. I like it. Sadness for the wall UB, terrible typing :(
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 463