Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 640167 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: The ULTRASun and ULTRAMoon Rises
« Reply #6300 on: October 05, 2017, 07:27:07 pm »

Partially related question: does "jailbreaking" a 3DS prevent you from accessing things like the eShop, or SpotPass features, or anything along those lines?
No, but people have been banned for it. My friend's friend has been banned but no one else I know has. We all did the exact same thing so it's not really sure what exactly was the cause other than pure luck.

If you get banned, you can't play online like do online battles or trade. However you can still access the eshop, spotpass, and get updates and stuff.

Given that Naxza's 3DS only cost him $20 I assumed he doesn't give a shit if he gets banned. But maybe he does. Either way it's not without risk. If you are interested in doing it, it's a fairly simple process. All you need is an SD card and about 2 hours of file transfers. There's an excellent guide here: https://3ds.guide/

I'm not endorsing any piracy or anything like that. Jailbreaking isn't for that kind of shenanigans. It's more for like... running old games or playing modded roms (such as this excellent Nova Sun or removing shitty dubs from Atlus games) or even installing custom themes. The homebrew channel is pretty impressive these days in that it can patch a game directly through the 3DS now instead of you having to modify it on a computer. The Nova Sun patch for example is directly patched into the legit copy you bought on your 3DS. Then you can uninstall or reinstall the patch whenever you like.
Yeah, this is pretty much all I want to do. Wouldn't mind being able to run things like Nova Sun or a randomized HeartGold on the go.

All that other stuff is nifty, but a bit less important.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: October 13, 2017, 09:37:37 am »

x-post from Own thread:

Finally completed all 50 battles in the Battle Tree, Super Single Battle mode.

God, that was a grueling, and utterly fraught run. It showed me some absolutely bullshit moments, some nailbiters, and that you can't just hyperoffense your way through everything. Post-40 wins the game started handing me some fairly bizarre teams, including three straight ones with trio legendaries.

My team:

Salamence @ Intimidate/Aerilate: Salamencite; Crunch/Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw/Facade; +attack -spatk nature, 252Atk/252Speed/4HP

Porygon-Z @ Adaptability: Normalium Z; Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Recover/(Z) Conversion; +spatk -attack, 252Spatk/252Speed/4def

Aegislash (special based) @Stance Change: Rocky Helmet, sometimes swapped out for Leftovers; King's Shield/Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon/Sacred Sword, 0IV speed, quiet nature (+spatk, -speed), 252Spatk/i don't remember the other distributions.

The final battle came down to me and Red, with it all coming down to a Z-Conversion Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs a Lapras on 85%. I'll run through it more in detail in the Pokemon thread.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Battles in the low numbers generally went something like this:

Salamence-M: Intimidate. Mega evolve, dragon claw. Bulkier enemies or safe setups, dragon dance once instead, by which time Salamence-M will break nearly everything that doesn't resist Flying, Dark or Dragon all at once in half. Flee if ice, or anything that could conceivably carry ice. Also flee if bulky rock or fairy types which wouldn't die to a +1 Facade or Dragon Claw.
It hits hilariously hard if statused, an optimum scenario would see Salamence switch in on a Will-O-Wisp, then immediately have effectively a Swords Dance on Facade (at least that's how I assume that stats work, a 70 power move hits as hard at 400 attack as a 140 power move does at 200? pls confirm mathgeeks; experience does seem to correlate this.

Otherwise, most of the time a +0 Dragon Claw was 80+% on things that weren't bulky or resisted it.

Aegislash: No need for setup because of crazy good stats. Safe switch in to basically anything that didn't carry Earthquake, and even then the only major EQ threats were ones that had enough power to do more than 50% in shield form, or ones slower than 0IV -Speed Aegislash to catch it in Blade form. Ghost/Steel/Fighting coverage is quite decent; I don't think there was anything that could resist all three. Struggled a bit against the Dark/Flying Mandibuzz, because of Mandi's bulk and recovery and a type disadvantage, and some fire types (though there was a notable battle where prediction let it win against a Charizard-X getting it to -6 attack.)
Aegislash was a fantastic team-member for Salamence; Salamence could ignore an earthquake, and Aegislash resisted everything Salamence was frightened of (Rock, Ice, Fairy, Dragon), and had its own answer to Rock, Ice and Fairy in Flash Cannon. Salamence was also a good switch in against fire types that mostly threatened Aegislash out, because it resisted fire and welcomed being burned, and few fire types carry coverage other than Grass for lol solarbeam spam.

Porygon-Z on its own was quite capable of dealing with anything that frightened both of the other two. Z-Conversion boosts all stats by one stage, which made it frighteningly strong. It also converts Porygon-Z to the type of the move occupying slot 1; in this case Ghost because there is little that resists Ghost as an attacking type, plus Shadow Ball is cool. It had good staying power against most things except fast Fighting types carrying Dark type coverage; otherwise it ate them for breakfast. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt as a type combo is quite good; i don't think there are really any pokemon that resist both that are viable in Battle Tree, besides Bisharp (Dark/Steel, rekt pretty handily by Aegislash)

The most nailbiting battle:

Battle 44, a sand team. Something i don't remember/Gigalith/Excadrill. All carried sandstorm. Salamence was frightened out by Gigalith; Aegislash outsped Gigalith and failed to KO it because of the 50% spdef boost Rock types get in the sand, then died to an earthquake in blade form. Porygon-Z was KO'd by a Custap-powered Explosion from full HP before I could get Z-conversion up.

Salamence comes in. Needs to do a rather obscene amount with... a +0 Crunch as the only option. Probably looked like I'd need around 40% from Crunch to not lose, assuming Excadrill doesn't score the KO from full HP with Rock Slide. Crunch does like 30%, Excadrill sets up Sandstorm. Next turn, Crunch does about another 30%, but gets a defense drop. -1 rock slide drops Salamence to low red HP, probably just barely above KO range from sandstorm. Sandstorm drops to like 2 HP or so.

This is the end. Can't outspeed it. No priority. Guaranteed to lose if I didn't get incredibly lucky with the Excadrill missing.

Excadrill... misses with Rock Slide. Crunch KOs. The fucking end. I actually was so psyched to see Rock Slide miss. I'd never had the battle tree RNG work in my favour before.

The remaining six battles were considerably less fraught, despite three in a row carrying trio legendaries. Red didn't put up quite as much as a fight as I hoped; his Venusaur-M was bulky enough to easily live an unboosted Facade, and kept just spamming Substitute and Synthesis to piss me off; his Snorlax was a threat, mainly just hitting really goddamn hard with Double Edge and Wild Charge (I think it was Life Orbed?), and Lapras was too bulky for Salamence to deal with, and probably too threatening for Porygon-Z to hard switch into. It came down to Porygon just barely living a Surf crit after Z-conversion, Recover-ing enough health to Thunderbolt the bulky Loch ness monster down.

Whew. Got a stamp of completion, a surprised Red, and 50 battle points. I was on such a high from battle 44 that the meagre reward didn't really phase me that much.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: October 13, 2017, 01:28:21 pm »

I'm thinking of getting a new avatar. If anyone knows of a picture of exactly 17 Pikachu, would you inform me through a PM? If no one does, I'll just get a picture of a slugma.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: October 13, 2017, 01:52:45 pm »

I'm thinking of getting a new avatar. If anyone knows of a picture of exactly 17 Pikachu, would you inform me through a PM? If no one does, I'll just get a picture of a slugma.
Why not just make a picture of 17 Pikachu? Grab one and clone stamp it 17 times or something. Hell, I could do it... probably take like 10 minutes. You want one?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6304 on: October 14, 2017, 12:10:18 pm »

(removed the last little reporty 3 posts or so, carry on, carry on)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: October 15, 2017, 07:07:16 pm »

Minior notice for those who, like me, missed it a month ago: the Marshadow event began.  You'll be able to pick it up at a local game store depending on your country.  For the US, Germany, Italy, and Scandinavia, it's Gamestop.  For the UK and Spain, it's GAME.  For Canada and Australia, it's EBGames.  For Mexico, it's GamePlanet.  The event runs through October 23 for the Americas and Australia and November 16 for Europe. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:09:32 pm by Culise »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: October 15, 2017, 07:46:30 pm »

Damn, the GameStop closest to where I go grocery shopping/do laundry closed. There should be one about a quarter-mile away, but that'd involve crossing two major 6-lane streets(they intersect to boot) - did I mention the drivers where I live are assholes?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: October 15, 2017, 11:20:31 pm »

Is it just me or is Sun / Moon's pokedex way more brutal than what it used to be.

It feels like every other dex entry in this involves some kind of pretty brutal affair. I think at one point I captured 6 pokemon in a row where every single one involved some kind of dark fate.

I mean, look at this shit:

^ Pokedex entries from Melemele sea...

-------------

It just goes on and on and on. Shit is rough man.

I know there were dark entries in the Pokedex before, but I don't think any other region had such a commitment to... brutality.

------------

Hell, to give an example, this was Salamence's Pokedex entries prior to this:

Alright, are you ready for the Sun / Moon version?

???

... Is this because our Pokedex this time is a Rotom? So he says it as it is?

Edit: Actually, more on the Mega Evolution front, apparently all the Mega Evolutions have terrible Pokedex entries because Mega Evolution seems to be a really bad thing for your Pokemon?

I distinctly remember when playing Pokemon X that Mega Evolutions were supposed to be the pinnacle of the bond between trainer and Pokemon. I guess they found out it's more like illegal steroids that make you ultra violent?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: October 16, 2017, 06:25:38 am »

Many of the SuMo Pokedex entries for pre-Gen VII Pokemon are taken from older games. Also it's kind of the point of SuMo that it's a lot more dark than most of the rest of the games despite taking place in a bright and sunny paradise(or calm midnight wonderland, depending on game version).
Spoiler: You've got (click to show/hide)

I haven't played X/Y, but wasn't Mega-Evolution just discovered then? By the time SuMo rolls around, perhaps they've had time to figure out that rapidly warping a Pokemon's body back and forth isn't good for them. Also, it's hardly the pinnacle of the Pokemon/trainer bond since you don't actually need any sort of bond at all to Mega-Evolve. If you've got the Key Stone and appropriate Mega Stone, you can Mega-Evolve a freshly caught Sableye.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: October 16, 2017, 06:59:37 am »

Also the two games seem to have different styles for their pokedex entries, from what I remember.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: October 16, 2017, 07:49:10 am »

Rotom Dex entries are fantastic indeed, if not a bit terrifying. Gengar might be my favorite.

Should you be attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up.[/spoiler]

It's some top tier spoopy level shit!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: October 16, 2017, 12:27:34 pm »

Also the two games seem to have different styles for their pokedex entries, from what I remember.
Nah they're both dark. Just some alternate.

Edit: Raichu's entry says it has the ability to stun an Indian elephant.

1. India exists as a country in Pokemon world? Like, just India? Not even some funky fake name?

2. Elephants exist?!?! I didn't even realize actual animals existed in Pokemon. How on earth could they compete against Pokemon?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: October 16, 2017, 01:17:03 pm »

Again, it's probably old canon, when things like mundane animals did exist. Arcanine is called the legendary Chinese Pokemon.

This might be interesting.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: October 16, 2017, 02:22:17 pm »

Rotom Dex entries are fantastic indeed, if not a bit terrifying. Gengar might be my favorite.

Should you be attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up.

It's some top tier spoopy level shit!
Palossand's is as insane as that too

Possessed people controlled by this Pokémon transformed its sand mound into a castle. As it evolved, its power to curse grew ever stronger.
Buried beneath the castle are masses of dried-up bones from those whose vitality it has drained.

Da fuu....

It makes you wonder. Since you... you know, transport the whole thing with you in a Pokeball, does that mean you bring the bones with you too? Or are you just bringing the killer around and people will randomly stumble upon a pile of "presumably" children's bones and go "oh yeah, a Pallosand was here".

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: October 16, 2017, 05:35:15 pm »

Nah they're both dark. Just some alternate.

It's not that one's less dark, it's that they have a different... style? I'm not sure how to describe it, the Sun ones seem more... analytical? than the Moon ones.

Spoiler: Buzzwole (click to show/hide)

Moon's all like "Holy crap, it punched a truck!" and stuff. I don't really want to delve through 800 entries to see how consistently they're different, but in the dozen or so I looked at, Moon definitely seems more... enthusiastic?, and I found that interesting.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 463