Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 640059 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Let's A Go!
« Reply #6495 on: October 19, 2018, 08:18:42 pm »

I'm still trying to evolve another gyarados so I can get Mew.  381 candies... getting close.

Getting the excellent curve ball throw will take me forever.  I still miss with half of the ones I throw.

I'm also still trying to get enough friends to advance the Celebi quest.  I've been sending requests to people using one of the online lists, but nobody has accepted one yet.

At least I've almost caught all of the Gen 4 starters I need.  It'll be nice to get them out of the way, unlike Gen 2 where I didn't get a typhlosion until yesterday because cyndaquills are so rare.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: October 19, 2018, 08:23:45 pm »

It's weird, I got most of my cyndaquils (which I didn't even want, especially, except to fill out my pokedex) from a particularly obscure forest trail by a river.  By all rights that area should have been nearly empty, but it was awash in cyndaquil.  And it was at least a mile in and a mile back, curving along a river, probably more - covered in cyndaquil.

A nest, in other words.  https://thesilphroad.com/
Community-driven so it might not help you, being remote ):
but it tries to report hotspots (nests) of pokemon activity which sprout up.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: October 19, 2018, 10:45:50 pm »

It seems like fire type pokemon are very rare around here in general, with grass and bug types being by far the most common.  Par for the course when living outside of the city, I believe.  It took me over a year to get a charizard too, for the same reason.  Particularly infuriating when one popped up, ate three or four ultra balls and then ran away.

I'll take a look at the link though, since it can't hurt.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: October 30, 2018, 01:38:47 pm »

Just a heads up that double candy is around for a few more days, until the 4th I think.  And the quest for...  Spiritomb or something?  A spooky ghost.

I've been told that you need to start the quest before a certain point though, possibly tomorrow.  Then there'll be no time limit.  Dunno if that's true.

Meanwhile I beat Crystal Clear, probably should have posted here *instead* of the Own thread but w/e I'm vain
Finally powered through the dragon gym at 15/16 badges.  I tried to use a Cloyster for ice, but I kept getting sick of trying to level it, and it's so slow.  And the gym had a Kingdra anyway which is ONLY weak to dragon.  Besides, I had Raikou with Thunder and Spark which would work for the flying dragonites - I forgot that dragon actively resists electricity.

Made it anyway, with a combination of Raikou Xatu (Natella) and Houndour (Cerby).  Raikou and Xatu were even fairly underlevelled.

Then I finally beat the water gym, which I'd saved for last/full power.  It was almost *easier* now, because Misty sorta dropped the pretense of focusing on water.  There were like 3 ice, a quagsire, and yaknow just Lugia hanging out as flying/psychic.  Fortunately my overlevelled Houndour is very good against ice types and psychic types.  Sorta disappointing... I even put Sunny Day on Raikou to set up Celebi with Solar Beam, and I only got to use it on the Quagsire really.  Still felt good, depowered the water attacks, and empowered the flamethrower.

So at that point the Elite 4 was pretty underlevelled, which is fair considering it unlocked at 8/16 badges.  But there was one sticking point...  A Blissey, bane of Pokemon GO and now Crystal Clear, with:
Soft-boiled
Heal Bell
Light Screen
Ice Beam

carrying leftovers.  And enemy pokemon have unlimited PP in this gen, so it happily kept spamming Soft-Boiled to heal ~2/3 health whenever it was significantly damaged.
I tried... various things.  Flash doesn't reduce accuracy for self-targetting moves.  Psychic reduced its SPC Def once, but never again, and the light screen was practically constant and extreme.  Spamming Flamethrower and Crunch were complete no-goes, doing about 1/8 health a turn.  Raikou managed to paralyze it twice, but it just Heal Belled (never lost a turn to it either).

I was about to try ice beam from my pathetically underlevelled Cloyster, which could barely survive Blissey's ice beam, when I remembered my Marowak with thick club.  Even lower level, but it freakin worked.  Might have died from a single ice beam, but the Blissey kept trying to heal or light screen instead.  Hehe...

Pokemon Crystal Clear - cleared!
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: October 30, 2018, 03:31:07 pm »

Just so you are aware for future reference... this is Blissey's stats:

Notice the defense stat. Your team doesn't actually have any good physical attackers which explains why your crunch did nothing, but Blissey collapses to anything physical honestly.

She's one of the best special defensive walls but is hopeless against anything stronger than a graze. Which explains why your Marowak obliterated it despite being super low level.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: October 30, 2018, 04:33:19 pm »

In Gen II and III, which presumably includes romhacks, Dark-type moves were always Special, despite fact that all damaging Dark-type moves available in Gen II and III became Physical in Gen IV and on when it was handled per move. So Crunch isn't going to do anything to Blissey here.

EDIT: I just noticed it when looking at the post in the own thread, but unless Crystal Clear uses Gen I as a base or otherwise changes it, the AI does not get infinite PP. Soft-Boiled has 10 PP, up to 16 with PP Ups, so if the slog was long enough, you'd probably lose count of how many times it was used.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:46:11 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: October 30, 2018, 09:19:57 pm »

Thanks!  I kinda assumed I was just dodging the constant light-screen, and that my low-level Marowak was just that powerful with thick club.  I had no idea Blissey was so weak to bullying.

Man, if only that were represented in GO somehow.  Fighting is already the best strategy, but they're still tanky as hell.  Since there's no physical/special split there whatsoever.

I was vaguely aware that I'd made a team of spellcasters, but for some reason didn't consider that as a weakness.  The main threats I noticed were... well literally dragonites and legendaries (used by trainers at high badge counts) which seem to have fairly balanced defense/spcDefense.

I guess the electric types I mainly faced (Raichu/Jolteon/Electabuzz) have relatively low physical defense, but Surge was pretty easy for a simple reason - I was feeding my spellcasters calcium, which at this point increases both special attack and special defense.

And Marowak did fine against Surge too because well, ground.

...Though in retrospect, ground and rock attacks were annoyingly rough on me.
Not fighting though, heh.  Fighting types faced my flying/psychic Xatu, and my half-dark Houndour main was so overlevelled it could take a punch or two before switching out.

This was all an interesting change from my tanky Rock and Fighting focused OG Silver run.  The infinite money through gym-grinding is certainly different, even with the lovely additional challenge the romhack adds.  In Silver I was actually trading hits, here it was kinda "sweep or trade out to a better matchup".  I also used a lot more items in this game, which I mostly avoided in Silver.  Revival herbs...  were a hard deal to resist.  I, um, may have used them specifically when something BS happened like strings of misses, or paralyze/confusion fucking us up for multiple rounds against normal odds.

It's training, see.  oh no I'm a baddie, my carry is literally a hellhound

Edit:  Oh but yeah Akura you're probably right about the finite PP.  I assumed it was infinite, and stopped testing it as I tried to think up a solution.  Considering the Blissey's trainer, there's also a good chance it was 16 instead of 10 yeah.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 09:24:32 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: October 30, 2018, 09:52:09 pm »

You know I always considered PP to be unnecessarily annoying busywork in singleplayer. I think they should change it so it resets to full after every battle. Maybe reduce it by 1/2 or something to compensate.

It makes the game so annoying to have to recover them after a few battles.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: October 30, 2018, 10:05:30 pm »

One absurdly nice thing about Crystal Clear is that you get a full-party-restore every time you initiate a rechallenge against a gym.

It's designed for grinding, but it's very nice about it.  There's also an option to remove the Pokecenter's dialog.  And even if you don't do that, you face away from her after the healing.

I did my run with the healing dialog on and without turbo, because you see, I have standards (and I was playing this over several weeks, in little bits, enjoying the journey more than the destination)
And while it's a little meaningless, I didn't use items in combat for the Elite 4 - except ethers and plain revives, when puzzling out the Blissey.
She/they

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: October 30, 2018, 10:24:43 pm »

You know I always considered PP to be unnecessarily annoying busywork in singleplayer.

How often does it actually matter in MP? Seems like anything with more than 5 PP wouldn't ever run out in most situations, but maybe spamming protect with pressure and leftovers is more common than I'd think?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: October 30, 2018, 10:47:52 pm »

You know I always considered PP to be unnecessarily annoying busywork in singleplayer.

How often does it actually matter in MP? Seems like anything with more than 5 PP wouldn't ever run out in most situations, but maybe spamming protect with pressure and leftovers is more common than I'd think?
Mmm... depends actually.

A few generations ago stall was king (and in the lower tiers these days). So stalling with Pressure and Protect, etc. was the most common strategy. PP mattered a lot then. But these days things die really really fast so it doesn't matter that much.

So it really depends on the teams. If you run a stall-heavy team then it'll matter more. I think in my entire time playing I've probably only encountered a true PP death maybe... 4 - 5 times? Out of thousands of games.

It's quite rare. But just the threat of PP running out is important for battling, because without it you can easily be forced to draw games.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: October 30, 2018, 10:52:22 pm »

just a bit of spam, im starting a thread for an Uranium gameplay run: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172499.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
She/they

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: The ULTRASun and ULTRAMoon Rises
« Reply #6508 on: October 30, 2018, 11:55:46 pm »

Heh, I'm that guy. Sorry!

I have a 2810 CP Blissey named Lucky that is pretty much the only thing I leave in gyms. "Lucky" because that's Chansey's Japanese name (obvs) but more importantly because it was the first Chansey I ever got, and I hatched it from an egg during a double candy event about a week before gen II was launched.
That's so cute, it actually helped me feel a bit better about the many Blisseys.  Nowadays it's Blissey, Tyranitar, Snorlax.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:47:12 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: November 18, 2018, 04:31:14 pm »

The best part about Let's Go Pikachu & Let's go Eevee, is that the previously unforgiving caves are no longer such a slog to get through.
Sure the Zubats, Golbats and such are still there, but they aren't so bad as they are in the handheld games.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 04:32:50 pm by Ultimuh »
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 463