Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 641261 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Let's A Go!
« Reply #6510 on: November 27, 2018, 01:07:41 pm »

I want to talk about what I consider to be hands-down the worst Pokemon in the entire series.

It's so bad most people forget it exists. Then they learn about it only to immediately forget again.

I'm not just talking competitive either. This thing has no redeeming features whatsoever, whether design-wise, ability-wise, or anything really. Nobody remembers it because it is terrible and awful and the Pokemon world would be better off if it was removed. Except nobody ever remembers it, so does it even matter at this point? Not even Gamefreak themselves seems to be aware this thing exists.

------------

No it's not Unown. You know why? Because despite Unown being super bad competitively, at least everyone knows about it. It has notoriety and fame and is part of the common Pokemon mythos. This gives it value.

It's not Magikarp because let's be honest, Magikarp is world-famous for being an ugly duckling.

------------

=|

What can I even say?

How many people even know what the hell that is?

It's baby-form is worse stat-wise but at least that thing is... cute?

Okay, here we go:

--------------

Looks:

I know looks are subjective, but I cannot understand how people can point at Vanillite and say that's bad design without first pointing at this.

I have no other words. It's so mediocre it's worthless. It's not terrible. It's not good. It's like that guy in your class with average grades and no friends and everyone forgot he existed after class. That's Sunflora.

--------------

Stats:

The only thing it has going for it is its mediocre special attack. Everything else is awful.

It can't do anything in a fight. The only chance this thing has of killing anything is if the enemy switched in something 4x weak to Earth Power or Giga Drain or something.

It's not even remotely close to fast enough to do anything, which might make you think it's a prime candidate for Trick Room but please. Are you serious? Why would you build a team around this? And that's not the only support it needs, let's get to that next.

--------------

Skills:

Hmm, something tells me Gamefreak might have wanted us to use this in the sun. I'm not sure what, but it might be the fact that they gave it either the ability to double its speed in the sun or increase its special attack in the sun.

That sounds great in theory buuuuut....

Double of 30 base speed is 60 base speed. That is awful.

Solar Power might be alright in theory, but it doesn't solve any of the above mentioned issues where Sunflora dies to anything stronger than its pre-evolution. I would mention the side effect of it losing 1/8th of its HP every turn in the sun, but let's be honest, this thing isn't going to survive more than one turn.

And that's not even touching the whole, Sunflora needs both Trick Room and Sun to be even remotely viable? Two support moves just for this thing?

-------------

Movepool:

Unlike other bad Pokemon like say, Bastiodon who can at least set up Stealth Rock and phase or tank a few hits, Sunflora doesn't really have a viable movepool.

It's so fragile that being a support is a poor choice, especially considering it barely knows any support moves to begin with. No Spore here. Maybe Leech Seed? But there's some serious doubts about whether you'd want to bring that along when again... it dies in one hit.

It's just a special attacker with only one set.

Solar Beam, Earth Power, Giga Drain, ???

Yeah, I can't even think of another move that's good for it. Two of those moves were even the same typing too. Maybe Protect?

It's bad.

-------------

I'm having a really hard time thinking of a Pokemon with less reason for existing than Sunflora. It has absolutely no redeeming qualities and just annoys people when it shows up.

Let me know what you think.

Bormok, God of Mud

• Bay Watcher
  • Cousin of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: November 27, 2018, 04:36:18 pm »

I think Sunflora is cute.

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: November 27, 2018, 05:08:29 pm »

I agree, it is pretty.  It also looks like Flowey which is fun.

I let one sit in my party during Crystal Clear, mostly to use Sunny Day and then Solar Beam.  And Giga Drain as my only grass move in the party.
And yeah, it died fast to everything and never did much damage...  My Houndour often benefited from the remnants of the Sunny Day, though.

I probably should have stuck with Tangela *checks stats* yeah.  Twice as much speed and defense.  Though, half as much special defense, and a bit less HP...  Still.  Also I'd have sleep powder, which would have been nice when catching stuff.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: November 27, 2018, 06:14:55 pm »

I thought Luvdisk or whoever was the defacto shit pokemon.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: November 27, 2018, 06:38:12 pm »

I thought Luvdisk or whoever was the defacto shit pokemon.
It's really bad but it does have some speed alongside a pretty decent movepool.

The only thing holding it back is its looks and its stats.

It basically always needs Focus Sash, but provided it manages to outspeed its target (97 speed isn't absolutely bad so there are things it can outspeed) it can do some really annoying things.

Say, toxic, confuse ray, scald into a burn, etc. etc. etc.

That's about it though.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: November 30, 2018, 05:10:43 pm »

I never did use Sunflora, but i never forgot. Although I admit my only memory of it was from Gen2 Games: "How do I evolve this Sunkern, oh..."(I had already used my Sunstone..and had No Pokemon Playing Friends IRL, GBC days FTW lol.)
Overall, Mono-grass I prefer Cherrim(because Cherry Blossoms lol) and Lilligant(OwnTempo+Petal Dance, sweeeet) otherwise I'd Use Sunflora on my for-fun Mono-type teams, as i do like Sunflowers.

Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: November 30, 2018, 08:48:39 pm »

Just a head's up to anyone playing Pokémon Go:

This weekend is December's "Community Day", and it's an end-of-year celebration featuring every Pokémon species that had a Community Day this year! So if you missed any of them, or missed the window to evolve for special moves, now is the time.

It's lasting 3 days(!!!), already started today and running until early Monday morning.

I'm planning on going all-out to try to catch a shiny Charmander (the only one I missed) and maybe try to get another shiny Eevee or two. The return of Dratini makes it a good time to work on the Dragon badge too. Real exciting!

Oh, they've also just announced PVP coming soon or something. So that's a thing, I guess.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: November 30, 2018, 09:38:45 pm »

And based on what I've read, December's research breakthrough rewards will be random pokemon that have been featured before.  That's good if you missed one, but I was hoping for ho-oh or lugia since I'm still missing both of them, plus all of the gen 3 and 4 legendaries and mythicals.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: December 01, 2018, 02:57:41 pm »

And during the normal 3-hour window times today, double incubation speed, stardust, and catch xp!  We're about an hour into the window in the USA.

Edit dang thought it was candy too but nope.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 02:59:20 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: December 05, 2018, 02:32:31 am »

PvP in pogo soon.
I expect to battle you soon Rolan7 because we are friends... best fwends and we will be able to fight across time and space.
Honestly the best research breakthrough was the snorlax one. I've never seen a wild one before. And only hatched a handful. I did get a good one from the research though
One of my favorites and it always feels good to pump him full of berries.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: December 05, 2018, 03:19:58 pm »

I want to talk about another one of my all-time favorite Pokemon.

Well, I say all-time but compared to some of the others, this gal is a newcomer to Pokemon relatively.

She's big, scary, really tanky but also REALLY hurts. You give her one free turn and she'll break your entire spirit.

Best of all, she comes from a Pokemon typing that most people associate with being kinda bad with maybe... a few notable exceptions.

Did I mention she's a Kaiju, just like how Tyranitar was an homage to Godzilla?

-------------------

I really like Volcarona. I really like her design, and I love how she's the ultimate bug-type. She can outperform a hell of a lot if not ALL the bug-type legendaries for one and she's not even a pseudo-legendary. (though to be fair, she is part fire-type so bug-types really don't like fighting her)

Though personally I do consider Volcarona to be a pseudo-legendary. Larvesta takes eons to evolve into Volcarona. It only evolves at level 59. For a bug-type that's basically forever. Hell, for almost all Pokemon that's one of the longest that it takes. It has a base stat total of 550 which is almost 600. So it's almost a pseudo-legendary. And it's got a 4x weakness to rock, which used to amusingly be one of the prerequisites for being a pseudo-legendary. Yeah, I have no idea why having a 4x weakness used to be one of those but oh well.

------------------

Strengths:

Volcarona shares a lot of the traits I associate with very powerful Pokemon.

1. She has very misleading weaknesses.

Sure, you might look at this and go...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a lot of weaknesses. But it's also strong against many things and takes okayish damage from others. Not to mention just like with Tyrantiar it can be misleading because our girl here can boost her special defense so high that even the strongest special attacks will just bounce off her. Making her a really powerful special wall if she wants.

Additionally, one of her favorite Abilities is Flame Body. And that thing procs very reliably. So essentially the opponent has to gamble against a burn for the chance to hit her physically. And if the burn procs, you better pray for a crit because she ain't dying and will start using you as setup fodder.

2. She has very optimized stats.

Look at this baby:

Essentially perfection. It might have 550BST but that doesn't matter because it doesn't really waste too much in attack which it doesn't need. Great speed, great special defense, and fantastic special attack. Good HP too. And all that gets boosted as well.

3. She is fricking scary.

When it comes to breaking your shit, Volcarona is one of the top tier choices you could have on a team. She has access to one of the best boosting moves in the game in Quiver Dance. Hell, I'm sure everyone has seen it. All it takes is one Quiver Dance and it's basically goodnightday forever. You better pray you have priority water, rock, or flying if not you're in some serious shit.

And she has access to devastating combat moves. Fire blast or the lesser Fiery Dance if you're a gambler. Heat Wave for those multi battles. Bug Buzz for more STAB. Hidden Power for coverage. Anything she can't 1HKO, she'll just continue stacking Quiver Dances until she does.

Best of all, she comes with really good sustain. Between leftovers and Roost, she'll be there forever unless you have really good physical moves.

----------------

Weaknesses:

She has weaknesses too, there's no doubt about it. All Pokemon have weaknesses except for a certain bullshit dragon. But if you can work with them, she is easily top-tier.

For one, she's relatively weak to physical, especially rock-type moves. This includes Stealth Rock obviously, so if you want to run her you basically need anti-entry hazards. She always has to watch for priority too. Stuff like Accelrock and Aqua Jet are scary, alongside Talonflame or what have you. But she can gamble against lesser physical attacks and hope for a burn.

She might be weak to water special moves at first, but with some smart play she can combo Quiver Dance with Roost to easily turn that weakness into a boon. There are many, many overconfident people who think they can down a Volcarona with Surf. This is a mistake. This is free setup for our queen. Well, unless it's a Choice Specs surf or something. Water moves also become a nonissue if Volcarona is being run in a sun team, which it very often is but conversely can become a major threat in the rain.

Additionally while she could theoretically be unpredictable (she has a really big moveset) and could be run with stuff like Assault Vest or Choice Specs or what have you, the strength of her Quiver Dance is so potent that you can basically guarantee she'll always have it no matter what. But again, you could turn that into a strength as if people are expecting the Quiver Dance but she ends up being a Choiced Wallbreaker, you can leverage that to an easy win.

Toxic. Volcarona can handle Paralyze to some degree but Toxic? She doesn't like Toxic. Then again, who does really?

Taunt, phasing out, trick, etc. etc. Anything that cancels the boosting. Though this is usually only a problem if Volcarona hasn't boosted up yet. After she has a boost or two, it's usually not an issue.

----------------

Volcarona is one of those Pokemon like Cloyster who could theoretically have a lot of varied movesets but everyone really only uses one. Because that one is so goddamn strong that despite being ridiculously predictable, it's so strong anyway. It instills fear just by appearing in the deck. It's a bit difficult to describe but I'll try anyway.

Volcarona, like Cloyster and Toxapex and Aegislash, have kits so well known but are so potent that despite you knowing what's going to happen, it's like a train that you can't stop without huge amounts of preparation. You might have a Pokemon that counters it. Or Stealth Rocks up or something. But that's not enough.

Say you're in a big, tough match. You're both several Pokemon down. But you know the Volcarona is coming. The only thing stopping it is the Stealth Rocks. The enemy is just waiting for you to expend all your resources. Then it'll sacrifice a Pokemon to defog the arena. You know that's coming. You can't stop it. You already lost. It's already checkmate. That's Volcarona for you. Or maybe the only thing that could have stopped it was your Talonflame, but you had to sacrifice it to get rid of the enemy's Scizor. Now there's nothing that can fight the Volcarona.

Or hell, my favorite one. Say you get into a match. You see your opponent has a Volcarona but also a Smeargle. You gamble that Smeargle will be leading to set up hazards or boost. So you send out your lead as well. But it turns out the enemy sent out Volcarona first. Oh fuck. It takes you one turn to switch. You know it will Quiver Dance. Shit has hit the fan and it's only turn one.

Pokemon like these exist in a power tier where somehow being predictable can actually benefit them because of their reputation and their sheer power. But it's not to say that they can't. They just don't need to. But when they do decide to be unpredictable, you can spend the entire time expecting the Quiver Dance to come... only to be obliterated by something else.

And that's what makes this Queen so scary.

----------------

She defies the bug-type stereotype. She's not squishy, she doesn't evolve quickly, and she's not a newbie friendly Pokemon. Her moveset and proper usage requires some experience in the game, as you need to know what attacks she can safely boost through and what she can't switch into.

And the thing I love about her the most? She's just a normal Pokemon that can easily manhandle legendaries like nobody's business.

If you ever find yourself wondering "hmm, I could really use a really powerful special attacker or a special wall... then look no further." Volcarona can fit into almost any team and will serve you very well.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: December 05, 2018, 04:21:04 pm »

Oh wow if I can interject, a friend of mine just beat Crystal Clear with Magikarp.  Apparently it gets flail eventually in this hack.
And I don't mean he beat the Elite 4 and Champion, he got all 16 badges.  Then met Green on top of Mt Silver (which I had no idea was a thing) and beat her level ~80 team, ditto included.

The dialogue was great though
She/they

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: December 11, 2018, 05:30:42 pm »

Uh, Magikarp gets flail in the regular games.

Really, why does Magikarp get such bad press when Abra has an even worse move?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:53:53 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: December 11, 2018, 07:12:49 pm »

Uh, Magikarp gets flail in the regular games.

Really, why does Magikarp get such bad press when Abra has an even worse move?
According to Serebii.net dex info, move list and etc...
Gen1 it was Tackle @lv15 Magikarp, Tackle is normal-type and thus useless against ghosts and aside from that does little damage.
Flail gets stronger the lower your HP, but still normal-type, thus useless against Ghosts, Gen2 Magikarp gets Flail at lv30, better, but ghost-walled, and after evo level.

Also Teleport does actually do something, albeit a useless something unless you want to avoid fighting, and Splash literally does nothing, even if you are on water.
Also it would seem according to Serebii's info, Magikarp does not get Egg Moves, Abra can have egg moves, but based on Generation Number, they may not be good.

All in all, I actually like Magikarp, but Water just isn't my type.

And yeah Both Evolve into powerful pokemon, but the fact Abra gets Egg Moves, and Magikarp doesn't...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:14:51 pm by RekkaAtsuma »
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: December 12, 2018, 10:57:44 pm »

PvP is live. The rollout is happening quick.
Its ok. You can constantly battle team leaders (and they are terribly easy it's retarded)
The shield mechanism is almost like a protect but you use it proactively. I think it could be replaced by a status move slot. Something like real protect or toxic. But I doubt any time soon if ever.
I fought sparky in master league and got 500 stardust.
In a game where the downtime is doing nothing it is a positive addition.
Though for a real tactics game just load up pokemon showdown or get out your gayboys.
If anyone wants gifts and to be my friend you can just pm me and I'll accept.

Edit: The new moves are quite expensive in both candy and stardust. I was hoping to give my snorlax a hyperbeam until i saw it cost 75k and 75 candy.
*psy*
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:00:23 pm by Castlecliff »
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 463