Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 641479 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: ALL YOUR GIMMICKS COMBINED
« Reply #6600 on: June 05, 2019, 02:18:13 pm »

New Pokemon designs are looking really nice, actually, but, uh, that sheep is in fact a sheep. It's cute, though.

Reception to dynamax seems to be somewhat mixed. Some people think it's cool, others say it's just a gimmick. Looking at it cynically, as I usually do, it's basically just a lazier mega-evolution. Certainly saves on the effort necessary to make new designs when you can just click and drag a corner to make something bigger.

At least the new areas with roaming Pokemon are a step up. I remember some months ago commenting here that I wished they would allow for free camera and non-random battles, and, well... it's in, though in a somewhat limited form. We'll see if that goes anywhere in future games.

I don't think what we've seen will be enough to convince people like me who are looking for something new and exciting in the age-old catch-all-the-elemental-critters formula, but, entertaining some optimism for once, I'm glad to see that the series' wheels are starting to turn. Maybe in the next game having Pokemon on the field will be the norm and random battles will be on their way out.

I can dream, right?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: June 06, 2019, 01:46:25 pm »

I enjoy random battles
To each his own. I'm not saying random encounters are the ultimate evil, but they're definitely a symptom of the Pokemon games' aversion to change. I'm confident that seeing Pokemon present in the overworld and having the option to challenge the ones you're interested in would A) make the game world feel more alive and B) remove some grind from the games (and grind is clearly something they're looking to drop, considering changes to EXP sharing in more recent titles).

Random encounters, while they do offer a certain level of suspense in gameplay, don't offer players meaningful choices, and are, as stated before, mostly the result of hardware limitations in older RPGs. They're also hella annoying if you're just trying to get from point A to point B, but that's a minor gripe.

Again, you're allowed to like random battles. I'm just explaining why I personally don't. I'm also a cynical, analytical stick-in-the-mud who likes the collection aspect of Pokemon games but vehemently opposes most of the gameplay mechanics, so take everything I say with a grain of extremely biased salt.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: June 06, 2019, 02:15:19 pm »

I'm very glad to have pokemon on the overworld so you can engage them at your leisure.  No more zubat caves, and if you want to grind it's not as much running in circles as chasing down pokemon you can see.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: June 06, 2019, 02:52:29 pm »

I'm very glad to have pokemon on the overworld so you can engage them at your leisure.  No more zubat caves, and if you want to grind it's not as much running in circles as chasing down pokemon you can see.

I'm guessing they'll have the "good" types of pokemon (fairy, metal) unavailable in anything but post-game areas. Maybe some ghost and psychic in mid-game areas, and dragons late. It would be just terrible to have an open world where you could take advantage of the types of pokemon you have to go to an area they are strong it, get the type that lives there (ala megaman), etc. That would allow the player to get the types of pokemon they want somewhat quickly. The downside is you wouldn't get to listen to the "new" story about why you should only use fantasy cockfighting for good, not evil.

remove some grind from the games (and grind is clearly something they're looking to drop, considering changes to EXP sharing in more recent titles).

Why hasn't Nippon Ichi done a slightly grindier parody of pokemon?

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: June 06, 2019, 04:38:35 pm »

having played pokemon let's go, I really enjoyed the overworld pokemon thing :
It let me choose when I wanted to battle, and what I wanted to battle.
the day I decided to farm a single type of pokemon until I would get them with perfect stats, I kept hunting the same pokemon for a few hours, caught more than 100 of the same pokemon, and the system worked.

I just hope that you have to capture the pokemon normally, in this one, though

@Iduno Re: wild pokemon types and hunting :
you always could hunt pokemons with your type advantage. It's easier when you can decide to battle only one type, but previously, it was already simple.
You chose a type that was effective against 50% of the pokemons of a route, and fled from the others.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:41:13 pm by IWishIWereSarah »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: June 06, 2019, 05:50:51 pm »

Every cave being ass-to-mouth zubats and every single body of water being infested with tentacool is a reason I don't look forward to pokemon adventures.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: June 06, 2019, 06:37:54 pm »

Yup, definitely sticking with Sword.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:52:09 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: June 06, 2019, 07:05:09 pm »

I'm worried about the raid battles feature, it's just bound to cause frustration the way they described it. First of all, they sound massively boring, since they seem to offer literally nothing different from a regular wild Pokemon encounter, except it's 4v1 and takes longer. Also, only one of the players can go Dynamax? Only one of the players gets to throw a Pokeball? They said some Pokemon would be exclusive to raid battles, which is gonna make it an absolute pain in the ass to catch them if you always have to spend ages whittling down its HP and wait for your teammates to do the same, only to get a mere 25% chance to even go for the catch.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: June 06, 2019, 07:59:09 pm »

It'll be real fun trying to complete the Pokedex with Dynamax only pokemon when you have no friends

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: June 06, 2019, 08:10:47 pm »

I understand that feeling, but there's a reason total completion has literally always required friends from Gen 1.

Yup, definitely sticking with Sword.
[snip]
You make a compelling argument, but as a habitual support-player I'd rather take the shield.  I wonder what the actual differences between the versions are, if they actually represent offense/defense?

I'm guessing they'll have the "good" types of pokemon (fairy, metal) unavailable in anything but post-game areas. Maybe some ghost and psychic in mid-game areas, and dragons late. It would be just terrible to have an open world where you could take advantage of the types of pokemon you have to go to an area they are strong it, get the type that lives there (ala megaman), etc. That would allow the player to get the types of pokemon they want somewhat quickly. The downside is you wouldn't get to listen to the "new" story about why you should only use fantasy cockfighting for good, not evil.

remove some grind from the games (and grind is clearly something they're looking to drop, considering changes to EXP sharing in more recent titles).

I would play an embarrassing amount of that
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: June 06, 2019, 08:13:22 pm »

I understand that feeling, but there's a reason total completion has literally always required friends from Gen 1.
that doesn't mean we should add MORE, seriously game freak I cannot afford two switches

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: June 07, 2019, 01:14:47 am »

I think I'd buy this hypothetical product based on that sentence alone.

that doesn't mean we should add MORE, seriously game freak I cannot afford two switches

Yeah. I'd love to see them remove that kind of stuff altogether -- I don't get what "go hunt down these pokemon on the GTS" adds to the experience. It'll never happen, but it sure would be nice.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: June 12, 2019, 04:33:06 pm »

A friend tells me that the places you can find the dynamax pokes will be online areas where other players will just be 'around' so it's entirely possible a bunch of people will just gang up on the pokemon to help catch it anyway even if you don't know them and don't have to even really interact with them outside the random heal bell or pledge combo.

Also I'm hearing something about them nerfing bringing pokemon from old games.  Along the lines of there will be no national dex, pokemon not from galar can not be moved into galar.  Anybody have real info on that to confirm or deny?

P.S. All my info is secondhand, please treat as such.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: June 12, 2019, 04:59:52 pm »

I've heard the same, although explanations have varied.  My guess is that it's an attempt to help balance the game by reducing the number of pokemon / variables involved, but I do hope that they introduce the other pokemon over time, or at least through DLC.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 463