Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 641560 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: ALL YOUR GIMMICKS COMBINED
« Reply #6615 on: June 24, 2019, 02:53:57 pm »

You know what I think they should do?  I think they should make ridiculously detailed 3D art for the pokemon (maybe just a fraction of them each game) and then dial the graphics down.  So yeah making 800+ animated models is a huge task.  But next generation of graphics they could just be like "oh yes, we are totally hard at work making new graphics for all the pokemon" *quietly goes into Blender and turns down the decimate modifier*
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: June 24, 2019, 03:29:31 pm »

It'll never be quite that simple, but I was under the impression that that was more or less what they'd already done.  High quality for 3D graphics is always a moving target so whatever they made was eventually going to become dated, but I assumed that since Pokemon games are probably never going to be photorealistic whatever they made was going to be good enough for a very long time.  Evidently that wasn't the case, or whatever they made wasn't enough for Sword and Shield.  Maybe there were new animations that would be needed that didn't exist yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: June 24, 2019, 04:46:01 pm »

I think it's for the best, especially when the amount of Pokémon is catastrophically high. As of the current National Dex, you have 809 Pokémon, not counting other forms and variations.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: June 24, 2019, 10:37:26 pm »

One of the big draws of the pokemon series however is the ability to bring all your pokemon, no exceptions after a certain progress point.  It's practically the series' defining feature, especially to the long timers.

Sure nobody is going to realistically use a Luvdisc or a Shuckle in any kind of serious competitive way, but one of the greatest joys of the game was being able to choose some random pokemon from your box that you got all the way back in fire red for example, and say "You know what?  I'm going to build a team around this piece of shit, and it's going to be absolutely hilarious when it smacks down an all legendary team online."

ie. My old as dirt beedrill triples team.  Or my current typeless arcanine doubles team.

Second example, who here remembers the lightning rat that tanked a goddamn draco meteor?  That was not a popular pokemon, it's basically budget pikachu. But if only the popular pokemon can get into galar, that will never happen again.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:53:25 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: July 05, 2019, 11:05:29 pm »

Am I the only one who finds the totem pokemon really annoying, mostly because they summon support pokemon who heal the thing or change the weather or do other things that make the battle take longer than it needs to, I mean sure it's more difficult but I find this kind of difficulty really tedious, especially when it keeps doing things like that

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: July 09, 2019, 07:06:44 am »

I'm not a Man that's especially into Pokemon (or a PokeMan, for short) but I think this whole debacle about the Pokedex just kinda reveals who badly Pokemon as a whole was thought out. Like, the moment that they started adding pokemon with each generation, they should have though "You know, this is going to get unsustainable if we keep doing this, we should plan ahead how to handle this" and apparently there was 'future proofed' high poly models in X&Y, but apparently that didn't pan out to shit, so here we are with fans getting their toys taken away.

It honestly wouldn't be such a big deal if this was at all expected or justified in some way that the fans could accept, but naw it's just things getting taken away; it kinda highlights the danger of the "Loss Aversion" idea in psychology, where losses feel much worse than gains. Sure the fans are getting new pokemon, new cool 3D stuff, new SuperSizeMe Pokemon powers, but if that little pet they love is getting taken away, those pale in comparison.

I had some ideas just off the top of my head:
Pokemon Natural VS Industrial; where there's an overarching plot line of pollution and large ecological disasters upsetting the biomes of pokemon, causing mass extinctions. Used as an excuse to cut those pokemon that were excluded AND you get to be topical about a real issue!

Pokemon Yarn & Wool; where there's a Yoshi or Kirby's woolly world aesthetic, and it's basically treated as a pokemon game INSIDE the pokemon universe, and then you can make the excuse "We can only make so many yarn and wool-themed pokemon equivalents, so we're cutting the pokedex to a very small number of Mons, just for this game guys, no need to worry" and the fans would eat it up. Requires new models and stuff, perhaps more work than the alternative, but it'd be cool.

Pokemon Quentin & Tarantino: where the formula of the pacing of Pokemon games is itself investigated and innovated upon, so that instead of your typical journey through the region fighting the gym leaders, you might be jumping from Main Character to Main Character Pulp Fiction-style, getting bits and pieces of the overall story, and each MC only has a small selection of Pokemon to choose from, justifying the cut backs. This wouldn't be considered a 'canon' game by Pokefans, so they woudn't complain at all about not having their entire Nationaldex.

What I'm getting at is: come on Game Freak, you have all the power and all the design space, do something with it! Don't just give your fans a stupid slackjawed stare and go "uhhhhhh I think we need to cut some Mons here." and think that that shit flies when you have all the options in the world. I don't have a NationalDex, I'm not even going to be getting Sw&Sh, and I think that that's infuriating.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: July 10, 2019, 12:14:54 am »

I recall reading something about Game Freak becoming less relevant to the Pokemon Company and handling the mainline Pokemon games with a secondary development team instead of using their A-team. Not sure how true that is, but it would explain why they suddenly feel like it's necessary to cut content for one reason or another (not enough manpower to manage it all in time). I, for one, refuse to believe that Sword and Shield couldn't have all of the 'mons, simply based on the fact that the models used by Sword and Shield are basically just Sun/Moon models with higher resolution textures for the fine details. That's not crapping on the models in Sword and Shield, mind you; the models in Sun/Moon were actually pretty amazing for a 3DS game.

Long story short, Pokemon is experiencing some turbulence right now, and it's not certain what's going to happen to it in the future. Since the success of Pokemon Go, it might become more focused in the mobile market, who knows?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: July 10, 2019, 10:24:44 am »

Since the success of Pokemon Go, it might become more focused in the mobile market, who knows?
dear god please no

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: July 10, 2019, 10:32:40 am »

More likely GO will never get Galar pokemon, because then it'd have a more complete pokedex then the actual games :P
Doesn't matter how good GO is, Nintendo relies on Pokemon and other successful franchises to sell their consoles.  It's amazing that we even got GO!

Edit:  And even GO is intended to get people into Pokemon and hopefully buy a Switch.  It's mostly indirect, except for the thing where you can get like a dozen Meltan every week if you know someone with a Switch (or 1 *ever* through a multistage quest).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:34:35 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: August 07, 2019, 02:34:46 pm »

a new trailer was released today showing some new stuff for Sworld and Shield:

-Galarian forms including Weezing (Poison/Fairy with a theme around gentlemen and chimneys) and the Zigzagoon line (now Dark/Normal and Linoone gets a Galar specific evolution! with a theme around hard rock/heavy metal and KISS?)

-two new rivals, one of them contracted by the mayor and the other is the "leader" of Team Yell (the "evil team" of this region with a Punk/Hooligan/Toxic Fanbase theme)

-Morpeko, the Pikachu clone of this region which looks like a hamster/guinea pig and is Electric/Dark + a transformation hability

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:37:36 pm by xaritscin »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: August 07, 2019, 05:21:58 pm »

I've been advised that the new Weezing looks like a pair of floating bongs.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: August 07, 2019, 06:23:16 pm »

With a gentlemanly moustache.

I think the weezing is kind of funny, but mostly like the fact that they're introducing region specific pokemon at all.

The new evil team look pretty dumb, but I'm sure that's the intention.  I've seen them referred to as juggalos, which is amusing enough.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: August 07, 2019, 07:06:23 pm »

people joke with that but they just look like the typical british noble during the industrial revolution, with a majestic moustache and a top hat.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: August 07, 2019, 08:04:02 pm »

people joke with that but they just look like the typical british noble during the industrial revolution, with a majestic moustache and a top hat.

I admit I've just been calling them Fancy Weezings.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 463