Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 5 (20%)
I PROTECC
- 3 (12%)
Waiting on the third one
- 1 (4%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 0 (0%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 2 (8%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 14 (56%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: Our boy did it  (Read 381231 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: ALL YOUR GIMMICKS COMBINED
« Reply #6690 on: August 09, 2019, 08:22:22 pm »

in fact, some people believe that the mayor or his assistants are the actual antagonists of the game. we dont really have much shown atm to make more assumptions.
Team Brexit?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. Was this inevitable (Y/y)?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: August 09, 2019, 08:34:01 pm »

The champion Leon, the Greatest Trainer, is secretly the villain.  He's working together with his childhood friend Sonia, who's stealing the professor's research, and the reveal will spark a huge crisis of faith in your friend/his brother.  The Chairman is a red herring who acts suspicious through most of the story but is secretly trying to oppose Leon by backing his own replacement champion candidate, Bede, without destroying faith in the Pokemon League system by publicly revealing Leon's perfidy.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: September 15, 2019, 01:38:12 pm »

TWENTY TWO YEARS
It's FEF, not FEOF

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Our boy did it
« Reply #6693 on: September 16, 2019, 10:36:33 am »

Ash won? How?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: September 16, 2019, 01:38:11 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if this means the anime is over

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Nope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: September 16, 2019, 01:47:21 pm »

Someone I know told me that the anime is probably gonna get a reboot or something? Not sure if it's true or just a random rumor. I haven't been keeping up, honestly. I'm all for it, though. It'd be cool if they brought in a new, more capable protagonist similar to Red from Pokemon Origins.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: September 16, 2019, 01:49:41 pm »

except the new protagonist will have the same problem, because it's a money-making decision to have him not win and forget everything, with the same problems and same events so that the episodes don't have to be run in series to series order, so any long-lasting reboot will likely have the same problem

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: September 16, 2019, 03:52:02 pm »

Or, and hear me out on this, they could make a regular running show with regular rules and a protagonist that is above the level of a bug catcher in ability.

If you met Ash in any game he's spew something about his pikachu being in the top percentage of all pikachu.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: September 16, 2019, 04:23:03 pm »

If you met Ash in any game he's spew something about his pikachu being in the top percentage of all pikachu.
Hey, I understood that reference.

Mainly because I'm playing Heartgold right now and holy apricorns, Batman, Joey really loves to remind me how good his Rattata is.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: September 16, 2019, 06:06:16 pm »

except there's not as much theoretical profit in a show that ends as one that just moves to a new setting repeatedly

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: September 16, 2019, 06:40:22 pm »

Mainly because I'm playing Heartgold right now and holy apricorns, Batman, Joey really loves to remind me how good his Rattata is.

What if youngster Joey's rattata actually has perfect IVs, and therefore really is in the top precentage of rattata?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: September 16, 2019, 06:55:58 pm »

What if youngster Joey's rattata actually has perfect IVs, and therefore really is in the top precentage of rattata?

I mean it probably is, but also there's that cliche about polishing turds to consider.

Additionally:

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: October 02, 2019, 03:31:02 am »

Here's a few variations of the core gameplay I've been thinking about.

• Your Pokemon are completely healed after every battle.
  • Your Pokemon can have 6 moves equipped instead of 4.
  • Your Pokemon can switch out known moves for previously known moves at any time outside of battle.
  • Your Pokemon cannot gain experience from other Pokemon that are over 5 levels lower than them.

What would you think about each of these changes?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: October 03, 2019, 10:34:28 am »

An XP penalty for defeating pokemon of a significantly lower level might be a good thing, but giving no XP would make grinding a lot harder.  I stopped playing after Gen 2 so I'm sure things have changed a lot since then, but wouldn't this make it so you could only get to level 100 by battling other players who had pokemon that were high enough?  Are there any trainers in the games that have pokemon at level 95+?

It's a question of how grinding should work in the games though.  One could argue it's just a waste of time and pokemon should gain levels through some other less tedious method.  Same with healing pokemon, since it's arguably a time and (in game) money sink with no real purpose.  Some people will say that it's dumbing the games down, but it's not a clear cut thing one way or another.

I'd like to be able to swap moves out though, so something like that would be pretty cool.  It wouldn't trivialize TMs or HMs either since the pokemon could only switch to moves it knew at some point.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: October 03, 2019, 01:42:05 pm »

I quite like it when RPGs heal me fully after every battle. It means I can go into each fight knowing I'm at full strength, and any loss I suffer has nothing to do with the fact that I didn't go back to the inn like a good boy, but rather because I didn't play well. It's a reassuring notion.

There are games where managing HP and MP and such as limited resources are a well-integrated part of the challenge, like Etrian Odyssey, but Pokemon is definitely not one of them, and I would be totally into this change.

The only problem is, that would require the game to have more challenging and interesting trainer battles, lest the games become even more of a cakewalk than they already are for most people who know what a controller is... and I don't foresee Game Freak or any AAA developer trying to improve Pokemon in some meaningful way like that. Not while the Pokemon Company has a stranglehold on using the games as a way of marketing their merchandise and would prefer they remain as cheap-to-develop, inoffensive titles that can release often and keep the franchise ever-present in people's minds.

... Sorry. That got really cynical really fast. I just... sigh. I just really want Pokemon games to be free of the greedy machinations of a gigantic business that only cares about making more money, rather than providing a quality product for the fans. I think most Pokemon fans realize that the series is capable of so much more than it's doing, especially given the amount of money said business has already made on the franchise.
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448