Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 636132 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Our boy did it
« Reply #6720 on: November 30, 2019, 02:30:19 pm »

This rolycoly guy looks neat and I like to say his name. Rolllllly.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: December 01, 2019, 12:11:58 pm »

I just looked up a guide too and it looks like I wasn't fanning the flames hard enough.  Looks like the berries also don't seem to impact the rating if the flavors don't match the base ingredient, with more and rarer berries appearing to always be better.  I'm... a little skeptical and disappointed if that's true, but I'll try it out the next time I play.

Either the guide I looked at was wrong or I was doing it wrong, since I keep getting bronze class curry despite using lots of rare berries.  I might have been over fanning or over stirring, since the game doesn't give good feedback.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: December 01, 2019, 12:53:44 pm »

There are a few different guides out, some of which seem more dubious than others -- I don't think rare berries alone plays as strong of a role as the flavor profile + main ingredient, at least from my experience.

A bit post-hoc, but the currydex descriptions of dishes seem to give a rough indication of how good the flavor+ingredient combo is? Seems that way, at least.

In terms of feedback:

In the fanning phase, you want grey smoke (steam?) instead of black smoke (stuff's getting burnt). Sparkles are also a good sign. If you're doing it alone you can probably be fine just fanning the heck out of it, but if it's multiple people then it's relatively easy to overfan it.

In the stirring phase, if you're using the Switch in portable mode with joycons on the sides you get some force feedback (a light rumble) if you're about to overstir. If you're over-stirring you'll see bits plopping out the sides, I think? As before, seeing sparkles is good.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: December 03, 2019, 12:43:46 pm »

After another week, I wanna expand my thoughts on the Pokedex cut:
I see what the cut is trying to do, emphasize balance and encourage using Pokemon you normally don't. But they managed to mess even this idea up by removing several unique type combos and not giving a new Pokemon that has the same type as the removed unique type combos.

Ultimately, I do like what they are trying to do, but they need to do it better. Any cut content will sting, this is true, but, if done right, less can be more.
Overall: while they did a pretty good job, it sadly just falls short due to lack of unique type combos in the Galar Dex.

That said, I am enjoying both Sword and Shield. So here's hoping they learn from this.
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: December 03, 2019, 12:54:59 pm »

As someone who stopped playing after gen 2, I suppose I don't see what's missing as far as unique typing goes.  I also don't really get a good grasp of the pokemon that are missing by extension.

I will say that 400 pokemon at least feels like enough, even if I totally understand the desire to have all of them.  I've played about 23 hours so far and only have 169 pokemon if I remember right.  Getting them all will take quite some time.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: December 03, 2019, 01:02:59 pm »

As someone who stopped playing after gen 2, I suppose I don't see what's missing as far as unique typing goes.  I also don't really get a good grasp of the pokemon that are missing by extension.

I will say that 400 pokemon at least feels like enough, even if I totally understand the desire to have all of them.  I've played about 23 hours so far and only have 169 pokemon if I remember right.  Getting them all will take quite some time.

As long as you have enough for each element to have 1-2 single-element pokemon, and each combination with other types, you have enough. If you're making another flying/normal type, you have too many.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: December 03, 2019, 01:35:11 pm »

I'll agree with that.  Based on what I've seen from Pokemon Go, it seems like every other generation introduces another set of expies for pidgey, rattata and caterpie/weedle.  I'm guessing they're intended to give a fresh coat of paint each time while reintroducing new players to low level, simple pokemon, but they could focus on more interesting ideas with new generations.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: December 03, 2019, 06:30:51 pm »

I'mma chime in and say this: To me, Talonflame is not Pidgey-line expy. Nor is Corviknight.
But that cause they not Norm-Fly.

I gotta admit I feel a bit saddened by the amount of Normal/Flying we have overall due to so many chances for type variety within "Birds", but at the same time, I like Birds, and Normal/Flying is very "bird" so thus I am Conflicted!
So. Much. Conflicted!

Though of the bird-Pokemon, Talonflame and Corviknight are easily my favorite 2. with Talonflame being #1. But this isn't cause of their Types(Fire and Steel are among my top 6 fave types)...
It's their Designs: Talonflame is Peregrine Falcon that dives so fast the air friction creates the fire typing and Corviknight is a Knighted Crow, nuff said!

An Honorable mention is due to Corviknight here:
For the first time in ever, I have trained a defensive-stated Pokemon to be a defensive Pokemon, and I like using it for defense. It's species? Corviknight
((Normally I just use Sweeper builds, even on more Defensive Pokemon, lol.))
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: December 03, 2019, 09:15:34 pm »

As long as you have enough for each element to have 1-2 single-element pokemon, and each combination with other types, you have enough. If you're making another flying/normal type, you have too many.
disagree

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: December 03, 2019, 11:52:48 pm »

For a lot of folks making a team can be about aesthetics and need the additional variety even when the types are the same.

I legitimately like bidoof and zigzagoon, but won't use a rattata or patrat.  I like Beedrill, but venipede and it's evos can die in a super effective fire made of burning rocks that also have little wings.  Spearow looks perpetually angry and is adorable, but that sky rat pidove needs to fly into ALL the windows.

A little variety is nice even if they are the same type.  Just because one may be appealing to someone while the others are not.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:58:59 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: December 04, 2019, 05:29:21 pm »

the thing with your pokemon team is that you should pick the ones you like or find interesting rather than make a team for efficiency sake. of course people will pick meta when in competitive gameplay but for the adventure and maybe some casual multiplayer matches you should go with your favourites.

its basically the same issue in MOBAs, in theory one should pick his favourite champions/heroes not the ones that are more probable to give you a victory, but since those games thrive on player vs player matches and people doesnt like loosing several times in a row its understandable that some picks are more popular than others. of course, there's people that become OTP for X character but those are a minority.

being a one trick Ponyta should be interesting tho, as you can do singleplayer in pokemon and dont depend on multiplayer too much (only for battles and trading). still, i consider this would be better if Pokemon had a more sandboxy and complex approach regarding gameplay so you dont feel obligued to progress and can instead pick the pokemons you want on your team and do other things.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: December 04, 2019, 05:42:25 pm »

Amusingly, I once beat Pokemon Red and Pokemon Gold by using Game Genie codes to give myself a ponyta as a starter, and beat the games relying only on other pokemon to do things like surf.  So, being a one trick ponyta is possible and fun, even if the beginning of Red and Blue can be miserable with a lone fire type pokemon going up against rock and water type gyms.

I do agree that aesthetics are a totally valid thing to care about.  I really only use pokemon that I think are cute or cool looking.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: December 04, 2019, 06:12:59 pm »

still, i consider this would be better if Pokemon had a more sandboxy and complex approach regarding gameplay so you dont feel obligued to progress and can instead pick the pokemons you want on your team and do other things.

That would be great. They would have to get rid of the "grass/bug suck because they're early" tiering BS, but that would also make the game better.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: December 04, 2019, 07:42:15 pm »

still, i consider this would be better if Pokemon had a more sandboxy and complex approach regarding gameplay so you dont feel obligued to progress and can instead pick the pokemons you want on your team and do other things.

That would be great. They would have to get rid of the "grass/bug suck because they're early" tiering BS, but that would also make the game better.
This really isn't a thing any more.

Also I don't know if I would even call most of the early mons sucky any more either. For example, butterfree is quite fearsome under the right conditions as it has access to things like quiver dance, 97% accurate hurricane and sleep powder, etc. Of course, there's always going to be Pokemon that are worse than others, but generally speaking most are at worse... "meh" level quality.

Getting kind of rare to see a Sunflora level of garbage, but I believe even Sunflora got buffed this generation.

I found it kind of interesting that last generation, they introduced like... an infinite number of legendaries that made OU and Ubers complete bullshit.

This generation it's like all they did was introduce UU, RU, and NU level pokemon... with some exceptions.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: December 04, 2019, 07:51:16 pm »

Slightly unrelated, but the Route 1 Bug wormed it's way into my heart and ended up riding with my team to defeat the champion at the end of the game. I wasn't expecting that. I had set out to try to beat the game after trying out as many different mons as possible, but I ultimately went back to the Pokémon that caught my heart first, which were Route 1 mons like Sheepish the Dubwool and Neeeerd the Orbeetle.

The only Pokémon I caught that was after the first Gym was actually Artoria the Sir Fetched.

Which... Go Game Freak I guess. I didn't have my Pokémon Moon team setup at any point there, but with Sword I felt like I actually liked my team and kept returning to in spite of wanting to shop around for different Pokémon.

In regards to shopping around for a team, the Wild Area is so damn fantastic for that. I'm really hoping they bring that feature back for future games.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:54:59 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 463