Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 636104 times)

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Our boy did it
« Reply #6735 on: December 05, 2019, 12:21:39 am »

Overall I am as causal a gamer as it gets, Only purpose EV training serves me is to get BP in the Tower/Etc-named Facilities.
But with my previous statements, all I meant is simply that I just wanna see more unique variety in typings regardless of how they add it in.

As a case in point, we don't have a fire/grass and such a Pokemon would've been perfect for an Alola Pokedex entry.
But on that note the type combo I desire the most is Fire/Fairy. ((Please Gamefreak!))
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: December 06, 2019, 09:27:23 am »

I thought for sure I saw someone commenting about this earlier in the thread, but can't find it now.  Anyway, while I've greatly enjoyed Sword and Shield, I'm a little disappointed in how short and simple the routes are between towns, and how it feels like the developers ran out of time at the end and had to just slap together the last few gyms.  I'm not really a fan of the gym missions, but it still felt jarring for the last two gyms to have no mission and just involved you beating up a bunch of trainers like in the old days.  Then the dark type gym is in a city that consists of a single street...

I also don't exactly miss Zubat Cave Adventures where you're fumbling around in the dark for half an hour trying to solve puzzles with things like Strength while sighing every time you encounter another stupid pokemon you don't want, but I was expecting there to be some kind of puzzles like that.  Unless I'm forgetting something, it's all be extremely linear.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: December 06, 2019, 10:48:37 am »

this may be an unpopular opinion but i think they botched map progression a lot by changing to 3D. yes towns look wonderfull in glorious tridimensional graphics with the best technology the engine can run with but that was for the detriment of the quality in many other areas. the games from Gen III to V had really good graphics and map layout despite the console limitations (and even then i suspect they never really squished the most out of the cartridges, just by comparing the rom size of Pokemon Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen) and reaching Black/White they were already putting some 3D stuff inside that wasnt too bad.

perhaps if they had remained 2D or kept the 2.5D from gen 4 the new games would have been longer and would have been able to churn more stuff inside. not really sure honestly, i just feel it that way.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: December 06, 2019, 03:23:43 pm »

Sword and Shield indeed are very linear, much to it's shame.
However I actually like they went very in-lore with the Punk-theme's rebel behavior for Spikemuth.
The members of Team Yell actually do say that Spikemuth is "getting worse and worse" so I'd not be surprised if it's got a bunch of shambling buildings falling on themselves and that's why we don't get to use it as a full town. Heck, you can't even fast travel directly to it, you have to go to it's outskirts that's how run-down it is: Corviknight Taxi's wont go to it.
All in all, for me at least, Spikemuth did indeed convey a "Screw the rules, let me Punk my life cause: me." vibe.

Overall though:
Spikemuth Game design and gameplay? poor.
Spikemuth Lore tie-in application and feeling like it could be real place? All right but lacking.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: December 06, 2019, 05:05:11 pm »

I just started playing Shield yesterday, and have been doing a lot of the random trade thing. My highest self-leveled monster is only 20 and I haven't reached the first gym yet, but I am able to field a full party of lvl 50+ monsters just from the trades. Kinda feels like cheating.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: December 06, 2019, 05:29:13 pm »

I just started playing Shield yesterday, and have been doing a lot of the random trade thing. My highest self-leveled monster is only 20 and I haven't reached the first gym yet, but I am able to field a full party of lvl 50+ monsters just from the trades. Kinda feels like cheating.

Do they obey you? In previous games, Pokemon you didn't catch/hatch yourself won't obey you* above a level threshold determined by your badges. This game hard-locks you from catching wild Pokemon over a certain level, and I don't know what it does for traded Pokemon.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: December 06, 2019, 06:52:46 pm »

You'll definitely get obedience problems up through like the 3rd gym with those pokemon, but they'll be so much tougher than anything else they might tank hits enough that it won't matter.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: December 07, 2019, 06:09:25 pm »

the real question is if you are the OT, will the Pokemon obey you at a higher level than your Obedience limit?
Ie: You catch a Rookidee and level it to 30 before any single badge, will it still obey despite the level 20 Obey lock? or is that only your starter in Sword/Shield?
---Past games it has been only starter, but i forget if, or when, they changed it and you never know when they may revert.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: December 07, 2019, 08:29:56 pm »

I've only used my high level poke's a handful of times - I don't want to overlevel my main party and end up having trouble catching new stuff because it all gets 1-shotted.
But on the few occasions when I did use the high levels, they obeyed every command without issue.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: December 07, 2019, 08:33:31 pm »

I don't recall the starter being the only Pokemon not having badge/level-limited loyalty. As far as I remember, any Pokemon for which you are the OT will always be loyal - it's Pokemon you get from a trade, or possibly events which use the hidden OT ID-number for stuff, that will have loyalty issues. The only exception to this is the starter Pikachu in Yellow, which has loyalty issues based on friendship(it's the only Pokemon with that value in Yellow) instead of level.

That said, I only ever remember having loyalty issues once in Silver, from a in-game traded Pokemon that I think I overleveled. In every other Pokemon game I've played, I've always gotten the badge before hitting the level limit.

PRE-EDIT: Here's the Bulbapedia article. Only mentions outsider Pokemon, not ones you caught yourself. No mention of SwSh, but there probably isn't a lot of collected information yet. Game's not even a month out.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: December 08, 2019, 12:56:59 am »

Could have sworn my starter in sapphire ended up overleveled and refused to obey.

But that was like 20 years ago so
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: December 08, 2019, 01:41:47 am »

I don't recall the starter being the only Pokemon not having badge/level-limited loyalty. As far as I remember, any Pokemon for which you are the OT will always be loyal - it's Pokemon you get from a trade, or possibly events which use the hidden OT ID-number for stuff, that will have loyalty issues. The only exception to this is the starter Pikachu in Yellow, which has loyalty issues based on friendship(it's the only Pokemon with that value in Yellow) instead of level.

That said, I only ever remember having loyalty issues once in Silver, from a in-game traded Pokemon that I think I overleveled. In every other Pokemon game I've played, I've always gotten the badge before hitting the level limit.

PRE-EDIT: Here's the Bulbapedia article. Only mentions outsider Pokemon, not ones you caught yourself. No mention of SwSh, but there probably isn't a lot of collected information yet. Game's not even a month out.
One game i replayed, i got a pokemon to cover the types my starter was weak to, Manual catch, no trades at all. And power leveled this non-starter without a single badge, it started disobeying the moment it reached level 21, might've been RSE or DPPt era. EDIT: which matches up to what Bulbapedia says.
Been playing since Yellow myself, so I really can't say the exact game this occured but it screwed me(and scarred me!) fiercely because my plan was for this to be my first-2-gyms nuke while my Starter caught up in lv.
Thus why i asked about SwSh, suppose only real option is to manually test it next time I make an alternate switch profile.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:45:18 am by RekkaAtsuma »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: December 09, 2019, 10:10:24 am »

Could have sworn my starter in sapphire ended up overleveled and refused to obey.

But that was like 20 years ago so

My first-gen Charizard did that as well. I do remember trading for same/similar-leveled pokemon who started disobeying, though. So maybe different level caps?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: December 09, 2019, 11:19:14 am »

I thought it was only traded pokemon that disobeyed, and that's what happened to me in Sword and Shield at least.

On a different note, after fishing up a feebas (took 131 tries) and spending forever trying to catch a wishiwashi before moving to somewhere with a higher spawn rate, I have concluded that I really hate fishing in pokemon games.  And... honestly don't feel like I have the patience for wasting time with random battles until I get the pokemon I want.  Each try for feebas took a full 30 seconds of playing animations, raichu bouncing up and down and telling me it was awaiting my orders, etc.  I am very thankful that the overwhelming majority of pokemon are visible on the overworld and don't have this problem.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: December 11, 2019, 10:07:05 am »

So, I beat Leon and didn't expect the game to keep going...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 463