Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 641270 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Our boy did it
« Reply #6765 on: December 17, 2019, 10:28:23 pm »

Looks like Smogon banned Dynamax and Gigantimax from regular OU and below tiers: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dynamax-is-banned-from-ou-explanation-information.3657917/

"The existence of Dynamax lessens competitive strategy and rewards short term bursts of prediction. Without the thought or planning going into team deduction, set speculation, and how they relate to strategies regarding what beats what, the game cannot meet the standards of our competitive community."

Of course, this has nothing to do with the official Pokemon competitive's scene. I'm sure VGC this year will be pretty silly.

Personally I agree with it as I find Dynamaxing to be really boring. It just makes every battle into a matter of lucking out / predicting a good sweeper entry. Boost once. Dynamax and sweep everything. There's almost no counterplay as anything and anyone can dynamax at any time. Not really fun, just really random.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: December 19, 2019, 11:28:39 am »

Niantic added the ability to pet and feed your buddies in Pokemon Go, which is kind of neat.  It was cute watching my blitzle nibble on nanab berries.

I'm with one my friends when he complained that this wasn't part of Sword and Shield though.  It seems like a natural part of the camping sub game, so I'm not sure why it was removed after previous generations had it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: December 20, 2019, 12:23:49 am »

Because why would you want to pet and feed your pokemon when you can wave a feather in their face and watch them eat air next to your character when you make curry?

I imagine gamefreak got a little creeped out where trainers would 'pet' their pokemon, because apparently that was a thing.  What with gardevoir and salazzle and ...I guess machoke for the ladies?   I dunno I always just pet them wherever they made the happy eyes at and didn't think much of it.

(salazzle does have those hips tho...)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: December 20, 2019, 08:32:15 am »

I'm starting with a Feebas I'd been meaning to walk anyway.  It feels right to start with a small, cute (yes cute!) pokemon at least while I figure out how this works, instead of Tyrannitar or something.  I hadn't thought about the more humanoid ones, hrm.  I see how that might feel weird.

A friend started with Blissey or something, and reported that he couldn't actually spawn it in his room - it's too large to get sufficiently far from the flat floor XD  So there's a balancing feature of sorts, I suppose!  Wow, it's not enough to be active, now we have to clean our rooms... well played, Gamefreak.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: December 23, 2019, 06:07:09 pm »

my.nintendo.com is offering a 7-day free trial of Switch Online for 100 platinum points (easy to obtain on the site.) This would be a good time to trade for version exclusive Pokemon.

Sword| Shield
Hydreigon| Tyranitar
Kommo-o| Goodra
Gothitelle| Reuniclus
Shiftry| Ludicolo
Braviary| Mandibuzz
Slurpuff| Aromatisse
Scrafty| Toxicroak
Mawile| Sableye
Solrock| Lunatone
Passimian| Oranguru
Turtonator| Drampa
Sirfetch'd| Rapidash
Darmanitan| Cursola
Flapple| Appletun
Stonejourner| Eiscue
Zacian| Zamazenta

There's also the exclusive Bob's Food Tin (Sword) and Bach's Food Tin (Bach's Food Tin) for the Currydex. Dino and Bird fossils are more common in Sword, while Fish and Drake fossils are more common for Shield. (You have to obtain them from the rare Digging Brother otherwise.)

I've got Sword and choose Sobble. I'll grab a bunch of Bob's Food Tins next time I see them for sale. Edit: Got them.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 01:44:35 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: December 23, 2019, 10:57:52 pm »

next version of Pokemon Adventure Red Chapter seems to be right around the corner. glad to see the whole Orange Archipelago arc will be finished, but im left wondering if the hackrom will end there or will it cover another region. Sevii Islands should be the way to go but im pretty sure the manga doesnt go in that order AFAIK. so either Johto will be introduced next year or the rom ends there. makes sense seeing that the game will be split into different roms (too much stuff to cram into a single file it seems).

my only complain with this hackrom is that it cuts a lot of the functionality of the Kanto remakes like having a VS Seeker and so on. yes the progression is mostly based in the storyline of the manga but still, its annoying not being able to properly shape a team because there's no way to earn money or rematch with trainers to level up new pokemon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: December 30, 2019, 10:04:15 am »

My brother finally got around to playing more and was able to trade me the last of the pokemon I needed from Sword so I could complete my pokedex.  I feel much better now that I can check off the 100% pokedex checkbox.

That process also introduced me to the worst pokemon to catch.  From personal experience I thought it was goomy.  Goomy is really annoying because it's only found in one specific spot under specific weather conditions, has a 2% spawn rate and is a hidden spawn.  On top of that, you have to dodge rotoms of all things, which makes it take way longer than it should since you're constantly getting into battles with them and have to sit through ~10 seconds of animations and text scrolling just to run away.

Well, what's worse than that is turtonator.  Turtonator has the same problems, except it can also use explosion.  So, spend 30 minutes trying to find it, then it explodes.  Took 4 tries before my brother finally managed to throw enough ultra balls at one before it exploded.

Of course, he really should have used a pokemon that could put it to sleep, but we were trying to rush through the exclusives while we were together and he didn't have any handy.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: December 30, 2019, 08:41:16 pm »

the meme these days in the pokemon pages/groups i follow in social media has been that GALARIAN DARMANITAN WAS SENT TO UBERS ACCORDING TO SMOGON AYYYYY! (no but seriously, this is the first time a "PURE" ice type has been banned for competitive, one can understand the reactions of the community)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: December 31, 2019, 04:08:23 pm »

I mean, it's super broken.

Regular ice Darmanitan comes with choice band as an ability.... in which you can stack choice band =| Or choice scarf. Even Zen Mode is pretty silly in this form.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: January 04, 2020, 11:34:24 am »

Anyone with Shield want to trade their Zamazenta for my Zacian, then trade back? My Switch Online free trial code is valid until Feb 7, and I want to make sure I have somebody for the trade before I start the trial.

I've grabbed a bunch of Bob's Food Tins if anyone needs them, and I need 6 Bach's Tins to complete my currydex. I've also got 4 spare Gigantamix.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:55:36 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: January 09, 2020, 08:31:00 am »

20 minute long Pokemon direct will air in one hour
It's FEF, not FEOF

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: January 09, 2020, 10:45:28 am »

MYSTERY DUNGEON 1 REMAKE

o also expansion packs for sword and shield

MYSTERY DUNGEON WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
It's FEF, not FEOF

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: MYSTERY DUNGEON REMAKE
« Reply #6777 on: January 09, 2020, 10:54:11 am »

So the story is that they're adding 200 existing pokemon back in to Sword and Shield with this DLC, but... didn't they swear up and down before that they weren't going to do that?

I can't decide how I feel about them charging money for it, or the fact that I finished Shield and don't know that I want to be "unfinished" again.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: January 09, 2020, 01:20:28 pm »

That's true, and I'll give them credit for that.  And I can't complain that they're giving new content like areas to explore, but the cost to value ratio still seems a little bad.  I can't remember the last time I saw DLC where I didn't feel that way though, for any game.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: January 09, 2020, 01:39:15 pm »

I'm on the extremely cynical jaded side of this discussion, myself. Sword and Shield were pretty small games by Pokemon standards (partially due to quality of life changes that made the game faster to progress through, yes, but also because there are just less 'mons), and now they're charging another $30 so you can catch another 20% of them.

Pokemon: Gotta Trade For 'Em All, Unless You Pay Us Another $30 to Buy Content That Should Have Been in the Base Game.

... Yeah, I'm hella biased. But Masuda did in fact say there were "no plans" to bring back more Pokemon from the Nat Dex to Sword and Shield, and now they've gone and charged money for the privilege of catching them. It's pretty scummy.

Mystery Dungeon remake looks cool, though. I'm digging the art style.
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 463