Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 641274 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: MYSTERY DUNGEON REMAKE
« Reply #6810 on: June 06, 2021, 10:31:27 am »

Heehee, they mad.  Good on you for not ragequitting or being bullied into quitting!

Pokemon GO is having Gible community day.  I don't know much about Gible, I think I've only gotten a few and from eggs, but I guess it's a ground dragon?  At least it isn't a flying insect that's inexplicably a ground dragon.  Anyway, ground/dragon seems like a very strong typing (as long as you don't go anywhere near ice of course).

Event is from 11AM to 5PM in your local time.

(Gible, not ghibli, doh.  I need to rewatch some anime...)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:33:13 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: June 06, 2021, 11:46:22 am »

Pokemon GO is having Gible community day.  I don't know much about Gible, I think I've only gotten a few and from eggs, but I guess it's a ground dragon?  At least it isn't a flying insect that's inexplicably a ground dragon.  Anyway, ground/dragon seems like a very strong typing (as long as you don't go anywhere near ice of course).

Gible evolves into Gabite->Garchomp, a Ground/Dragon that's supposedly able to fly like a jet, yet none of its moves, type, or abilities have any relation to flying whatsoever. The only Flying-type move it could've ever learned(and no longer in Gen VIII) was Aerial Ace, which isn't a flight move, it's based off a sword technique. Garchomp is one of the ones I used for clearing post-game battle arenas.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: June 06, 2021, 07:27:55 pm »

I caught a ton of gibles and ground them into candy to feed my garchomp and max its CP out for my trainer level at just shy of 4K.  Now I just need to start using it when fighting Team Rocket.

I'm a monster and even ground up 3 shiny gibles, since I didn't want another garchomp to have to power up.  Throwing mine away would mean throwing away a Best Buddy, and I couldn't do that.  That would be like Ash throwing away his pikachu.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: June 14, 2021, 11:11:14 am »

I just started a blind playthrough of Pokémon Reborn, and I did not expect it to be so affably evil.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd gone in, knowing from third-party non-spoiler sources that the game was tougher to beat than most Pokémon games. So naturally, my power gaming instincts flared. I carefully selected my team for the first gym--a task made difficult by the lack of early-game locations. Worse, my Pokémon knowledge only extended up to Gen V; there was two additional generations in play here!

There I was then, grinding my team's asses off, EV training and everything (hooray for visible EVs and IVs). We got slightly below the obedience level cap, just in case. Two days well spent, I thought.

So anyway, that happened.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: June 19, 2021, 06:30:07 pm »

Pokémon Reborn Shenanigans, Update 2:

After a long session of grinding EVs, making a garden look more bombed than WWII France, and utterly exterminating the local wildlife population, I finally had a decent set of 'mons for the next challenge: ZEL, and Gym Leader Florinia afterwards.
Spoiler: ZEL (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Florinia (click to show/hide)
And then I spent a few hours on Voltorb Flip in the Onyx Arcade, because fuck the slots. Got myself a Slugma (Flame Body for breeding time), a male Nidoran, and a Shinx.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: July 05, 2021, 10:44:51 am »

Shiny Tornadus, get! First ever shiny encountered and caught in the wild in my life- all my RNG went to getting Pokerus, uhm, three four times separately.

The catch here is that the Tornadus is on the Volt White 2 romhack and it's defaulted to the Revealed form, so I'm gonna have to hit it with the pokemon save manager to legalize it for future use. There's also a chance that it just spawns in shiny, I know that's a thing some romhacks do, so my joy may be somewhat unfounded.

Still, if it wasn't, accidentally catching a shiny is pretty swell, gotta say.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:35:10 pm by None »

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: July 23, 2021, 01:32:11 pm »

The wild Shiny Pineco used Self-Destruct!

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: July 27, 2021, 08:41:38 pm »

So, uh, Pokemon Unite happened not long ago on the Switch. I dunno how many people care, since it's a MOBA, but I've been playing it and having a lot of fun, actually. And that's coming from someone who has actively avoided MOBAs and has seriously mixed feelings about Pokemon.

Whether the game lives on to be anything more than a cash-grab, it's hard to say at this point. You can already throw a bunch of money at it to increase held item levels for small stat boosts, so it's... kind of pay to win? But eh. I'm just enjoying queueing up with my friends, spamming Rollout with Wigglytuff and laughing as I bowl people over repeatedly.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:47:18 pm by Nighthawk »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: July 28, 2021, 04:13:51 am »

Took a look at that one a week ago. Can't really play it at work - the vast majority of time I play my Switch - since I don't have internet access there. Not a fan of MOBAs either. Also, Tencent is involved with it and that makes me a bit wary.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: July 28, 2021, 10:20:36 pm »

Instant slowbro main right here
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: July 29, 2021, 09:12:30 am »

Instant slowbro main right here
He really is a bro. I've seen some skilled Slowbros turn Gengar into a floating pinata right as he's about to assassinate half the team, thus saving everyone's bacon. It's pretty awesome.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: November 22, 2021, 04:24:29 pm »

The Gen 4 remakes dropped the other day. Looks like they kept/brought back at some of the features from the original, like the Underground.

Still, not feeling much up to dumping $60(or $120 for both) right now, especially how disappointed I was with Sword/Shield. The total lack of interest in that Sword LP I did/gave up on didn't help with the disappointment.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: November 22, 2021, 11:54:58 pm »

NGL as a kid D/P was my least favorite the first time around.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: November 23, 2021, 12:11:36 am »

Same. Didn't realize how good we had it with RSE- berries, locations with weird braille puzzles, mixing records to trade catchphrases and secret bases, oogh. DDPT came along and slowed it all down. Didn't touch another mainline pokemon game until I bought a 3ds and was gifted Pokemon Y from family.

DPPT did lots of cool things it didn't get a lot of credit for, in hindsight, and the Renegade Platinum romhack is a particular treat if you want to revisit the region with a few modern amenities and a challenge fitting for grown adults.

I'd kinda like to know how the remakes handle Dexit, speaking strictly as a non-Switch-owning outsider.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: November 23, 2021, 12:21:49 am »

I loved Gen 4 and Platinum, so I'm enjoying it so far.  It's *very* close to the original DP story, though, so if you didn't like it then, you probably won't like it now.  All of the main story beats from getting your Pokemon onward have been from the DP story so far, no sign of Charon or Looker, available Pokemon and encounter charts are based on DP rather than Pt, and so forth.  Otherwise, it's a huge nostalgia-fest in both the big ways and even in little touches (the battle cut-ins and starts are basically straight from the originals before shifting to a panning camera like modern games, f'rex).  Also, the town map tells me Battle Park instead of Battle Frontier is in the not-Kurils, which is unfortunate but after ORAS, unsurprising.

Gameplay, I'm not convinced about the Contest changes (one-button rhythm game instead of the original type with moves), and the tile-based layouts sometimes are a touch finicky with the analog stick's free movement (D-pad movement does lock to the tiles just like older games).  Otherwise, HMs are gone entirely: everything's now TMs, which are breakable again, and while you can use former-HM moves just as you could in the original, the Poketch also has a new app that lets you call in free HM help from wild Pokemon once you find the TM and get the badge.  Live PC access in the field is surprisingly convenient when leveling, but speaking of leveling, it's far too easy to get horribly over-leveled even with what I suspect are EXP rubber-banding features.  An EXP Plus-alike (half-EXP to all Pokemon in the party) seems to be always on and I haven't been able to find a way to turn it off in the game options or item screen yet.  Combined with my penchant for catching everything in the Grand Underground where wild Pokemon level based on badges in multiples of 10, I ended up rolling over the third and fourth gyms with Torterra. 

EDIT:
I'd kinda like to know how the remakes handle Dexit, speaking strictly as a non-Switch-owning outsider.
Looking it up, Sinnoh's national dex is the same as in the original: all 493 Pokemon from Generations 1-4 should be in (either available, tradable, or coded in for future events), and as far as I can tell without spoiling myself, nothing else (absent patches).

EDIT 2:
Having beaten the Elite Four and Champion and entered the post-game, some additional thoughts:

2. Can confirm that Battle Park is not an inaccuracy on the town map: they did use the DP Battle Park instead of the full Platinum Battle Frontier.  They do have all sorts of things to make training Pokemon easier, though: Bottle Caps to maximize IVs, Ability Capsules and Ability Patches to switch Pokemon abilities to their standard or hidden abilities, and Mints to change Pokemon natures.  I do so still wish we had the Battle Frontier to let us use all of these lovely tools in more places, though.  Heavens, I would even *pay* for it (eventually); I did once already with Platinum, after all, and DLC at least is cheaper than the full remakes were. 

3. Full gym rematches also returned even if the Platinum Battleground did not.  Roark drops by to call you out on behalf of everyone when you get the national dex. 

Ultimately, I suppose my opinion is unchanged: for better and for worse, it hews very closely to the original Diamond and Pearl games, without even taking much from Platinum.  Other than a few minor details like easier HMs, gym rematches, fairy types, and battle speed (which isn't saying much, considering the originals were slower than a Sassy Shuckle with a Lagging Tail), it remains not far removed from the original games it remade.  The contest change does still irritate me a bit, though; I liked the appeals stage in Gen 3 and 4, and I liked that it had been kept in ORAS.  Ultimately, what you saw then is more or less what you get.  If you have DPPt from Gen 4 (legally or otherwise), you won't miss much by sticking with the DS.  If you want all of the Pokemon from Gen 4 or earlier on the Switch, if you missed Gen 4 and don't wish to emulate, or if you just want to see them in shiny 3D without a Wii and Battle Revolution, BDSP might be a viable option.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 10:56:52 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 463