Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 640218 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #6900 on: December 28, 2022, 09:56:02 am »

I finally got Pokemon Scarlet and played up though the bug gym last night.

Generally, I'm really enjoying it and having far fewer problems than I expected based on what I've read.  I'm enjoying it more than Sword and Shield at this point for sure.

The graphical problems I've seen have been distracting, but nothing that makes the game hard to play.  So far it's mostly been things like terrain shadows popping in and out as the camera moves in a couple of places and the camera clipping through the ground after some battles.  The animation slowdown in the classroom was distracting too I guess.  I haven't seen any significant lagging or slowdown that makes the game hard to play though.

I wish they'd kept the battle free catching mechanics from Arceus, but I think I understand why they changed it.

I'm also trying to figure out how to change my pants.  It seems like the first shopping area the game drops you in has 10 sandwich shops a shop for shoes, gloves and hats, and that's it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: December 28, 2022, 05:04:56 pm »

Your shirt and pants are tied to your school uniform.  There's four outfits.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: December 28, 2022, 05:07:03 pm »

Do you change that at the school, or somewhere else?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: December 28, 2022, 05:22:36 pm »

One of the d-pad directions accesses the wardrobe.  You should have all four uniforms by default.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: January 03, 2023, 11:44:46 pm »

So, I may have to take back what I said about the lack of glitches.  Overall most have still been minor graphical stuff, but I did have the amusing experience of seeing some guy randomly get extremely fat for a few frames in a cutscene, and the less amusing experience of having the game crash in the middle of a battle.  So far as I recall, this is the only Switch game I've seen crash.

Thankfully I didn't lose but a minute or so of progress, but that was a little alarming when it happened.  Game performance was tanking leading up to that moment, which was probably related.  There are rumors of a memory leak leading to performance issues.

Maybe it's best not to leave the game suspended for days at a time and it may be smart to close it every so often and relaunch it.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: January 03, 2023, 11:49:22 pm »

The school outfits suuuuuuck.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: January 04, 2023, 12:03:32 am »

I think I agree.  They look reasonable and fitting for school outfits, but I do really wish I had other options.

Kind of hypocritical since I stayed with the default outfit in Shield for the entire game, but this game made me want to change it...

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: January 04, 2023, 03:47:31 am »

The game has 70 pairs of socks but only one jacket.

Anyway, I mustered up the energy to finish the game yesterday. The start of the game is great, the end of the game is pretty good too, but the middle is just awful. I reached the point where it's like "well I've got nothing else to do but fast travel to all of the remaining bosses" and that's more of a chore than something fun. For an open world game, there just really doesn't seem like much to do in the open world.

I don't know how I feel about the game. There's plenty of stuff I liked, Iono's gym is great, Larry works two jobs, watching Skiddo run up to you and jump around is adorable... but there's also so much stuff that's just... ugh.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: January 04, 2023, 10:31:37 am »

Yeah, as much as I've been enjoying it as a whole I concede there's a lot of room for improvement.  Outside of the obvious lack of polish and bugs, more stuff to do in the world is a big thing that I hope they improve in the next generation of games.

As an example, every time I hit a new town, I literally do nothing but go to the gym, beat it and move on.  The towns look nice, but... I have zero incentive to even look around.  I don't really know what the point of restaurants is, and they seem to be about the only thing to do.  There's sometimes an NPC that wants to trade pokemon.

Between towns, there's a lot of pokemon catching you can do, but that's not really something I can do for hours at a time without something to break it up.  Admittedly this is how it's always worked, but it would be nice if there was more to do.  Maybe they could include mechanics like from Pokemon Snap or Legends: Arceus so that there is more you can do with pokemon in the field.  Or maybe there should be tasks given by NPCs that do things like lead you to rare pokemon or give you rare or unique items.  I don't know.

Anyway, I am at least encouraged that the overall direction is an improvement and have hopes that the next generation will have a good foundation to build on.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: January 04, 2023, 10:39:42 am »

Maybe in the upcoming DLC we'll get QoL improvements?
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: January 04, 2023, 05:02:13 pm »

I actually like the winter outfit, but I will agree that like 90% of the clothes you can buy don't go with the school uniform.

Also towns have almost always been pointless outside of their gym.  Just this time there isn't a broken bridge that blocks you from leaving for the next town.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: January 05, 2023, 04:07:44 pm »

Finished the main plot of Violet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, 5-star Raids are murder.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: January 05, 2023, 11:58:07 pm »

Finished the main plot of Violet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: January 06, 2023, 05:11:02 am »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: January 07, 2023, 07:18:29 am »

Depends on the pokemon. Ones that inflict sleep constantly or disable moves are particularly bad. Belly drum Iron Hands can handle anything else pretty easily.

I can solo some 6-star, but 7-star (event charizard and cinderace) I need multiplayer help. Hard to do enough damage while counteracting their buffs, etc., otherwise.

Ran into a gyarados with moxie (boosts its attack each time an NPC faints, which they will, constantly.) That was definitely a challenge.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 07:27:55 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463