Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 640124 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

This is why Gorebyss is feared: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-108555777

Gamefreak is definitely trying to improve the competitive viability of a lot of their pokemon, as well as putting more thought into what they're actually releasing. Though it seems this is done at the expense of how mind numbingly easy the games are becoming. Of course, they've always been easy... but in the past you'd at least fight trainers with 6 pokemon instead of just three all the time.

In any case, they've made all the Gen 1 starters viable again with the megaevolutions. All the GenXY pokemon are competitive in one way or another. Hidden abilities are waaaay easier to get. IVs are easier to train (though EVs aren't still, but there's rumours that Gamefreak might be moving to scrap EVs completely). Trading and stuff are way easier. Online battles way easier though they really need some rules in place.

It's getting there.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Protean is a darn broken ability, like Gale Wings.

I think Nintendo Game Freak had intended for hidden abilities in Gen VI to be much, much, much, much, much rarer.
I'm not certain on that.  If anything, they seemed to intend to make hidden abilities much more common.  In Gen5, the only way to get them in-game was grotto Pokemon, and that was B2/W2 only-snip-

Ever heard of Dream World? Anyone with internet could get HA pokemon.

-snip-
IVs are easier to train (though EVs aren't still, but there's rumours that Gamefreak might be moving to scrap EVs completely).
-snip-

You have it backwards, IVs are born with your Pokemon, so you breed them in, and EVs are the super training thing.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Protean is a darn broken ability, like Gale Wings.

I think Nintendo Game Freak had intended for hidden abilities in Gen VI to be much, much, much, much, much rarer.
I'm not certain on that.  If anything, they seemed to intend to make hidden abilities much more common.  In Gen5, the only way to get them in-game was grotto Pokemon, and that was B2/W2 only-snip-

Ever heard of Dream World? Anyone with internet could get HA pokemon.

In Gen5, the only way to get them in-game was grotto Pokemon, and that was B2/W2 only...Otherwise, you had to go online to Dream World.

Betting a possible maybe on that one, judging by the post you quoted. :P

((But Dream World is not in-game, and had its own annoyance points that made it less convenient than Gen6.))

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh.
Now I feel like an idiot.

Anyway, Protean and Gale Wings are still ridiculously overpowered, especially given the Pokemon that have them.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

Nah, they're not that overpowered.

Strong for sure, but not overpowered.

For example, protean Greninja is still extremely fragile. Because its regular form of water / dark has so many freaking weaknesses, it can't safely switch into many threats. Even a simple u-turn would reduce it to half hp. Of course, once it's out, then it can wreck havoc, but you can still deal with it like you do with any other speedy sweeper. Tank its moves and destroy it in retaliation (Tyranitar & co are good at this). Stuff like that. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking Greninja can 0HKO anything, but that's not really true at all. Quite a lot of the time it takes two hits while Greninja itself will die in just one.

Talonflame has similar problems. However, Talonflame is completely totally, 100% fucked if stealth rock is out in the field. Seriously. Similarly, if you have stone edge in your arsenal or even just rock slide, Talonflame is a goner. And you should have those moves. Those are incredibly important coverage moves to deal with threats just like Talonflame, Charizard, etc.

Overpowered is like Xerneas with geomancy and white herb. Or Mewtwo Y.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mewtwo Y is the reason I beat NITRO in the Battle of Mewtwos, so I agree on that.

Anyway, I should probably ditch my gimmicky "All Hoenn" team. I'm keeping Blaziken, Salamence, and Milotic for sure, but Aggron should switch with Tyranitar, Sceptile can leave in favor of Electrode, and, erm, I might as well keep Death Beam Gardevoir, who has served me well.

I'm so glad I found this thread.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

I'm glad you're finally getting rid of Sceptile. Good choice getting rid of Aggron too. If you're going to use Tyranitar, you might want to look into pokemon that synergize with sandstorm. For example, the banned sand rush Excadrill or a shell smash Crustle.

They key to using Tyranitar properly is knowing what moves can 0HKO you and what can't. Tricky considering you have to remember he gets 50% more sp def in sandstorm, but has a million weaknesses. So he can survive stuff like giga drain but he'll die in one drain punch. However, he can tank one mach punch. Etc.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

So, bump due to a recent announcement.  Not sure if everyone's heard yet, but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

^_^

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At this point I feel like the Pokémon games are just sort of spinning their wheels.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

So, bump due to a recent announcement.  Not sure if everyone's heard yet, but...

^_^

hoenn confirmed

E: Anybody up for Pokemon Showdown?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

shhhh neo don't spoil the moment

Spoiler: Obligatory (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

shhhh neo don't spoil the moment

Spoiler: Obligatory (click to show/hide)

now if somebody could put some blingee sparkles on that thing, it would be marvelous.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

^_^
Is it weird that I hope they bring back the "first-Pokemon-in-your-party-follows-you-around" thing from HG/SS back? <_<;
I really liked that mechanic! I wish more games had it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

^_^
Oh god yes this is awesome.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: HOENN CONFIRMED!!! FOR REAL THIS TIME!!!
« Reply #3104 on: May 07, 2014, 11:43:44 am »

Hopefully Sceptile will finally be useful with a megaevolution. Maybe they could give it flash fire hehehehe.

Mega Groudon and Mega Kyogre seem incredibly frightening... Neither of them really need items as Kyogre always gets chesto berry and Groudon can do with whatever.

Sounds like fun.

I tried replaying Heartgold the other day but the outdated mechanics turned me off it really, really quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 463