Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 636175 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: HOENN CONFIRMED!!! FOR REAL THIS TIME!!!
« Reply #3195 on: June 07, 2014, 05:48:29 pm »

Who knows. Maybe their stats will remain their same, but they get stuff switched up like typing or multiple abilities.

I think that would be the better option.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: June 07, 2014, 06:23:09 pm »

The fact its explicitly described as a primal devolution makes me think that something is gonna have to take a hit in exchange for its attack power going up. Maybe they'll lose control of their abilities or something.
Devolving doesnt always make one "weaker"...perhaps gives one less survivability and intelligence, but the words they use: Primal/Prehistoric/Primeval all as a term indicate a lot of raw power. Esepcially Primal, a primal world is "survival of the fittest" by simple definition.
In my opinion, I can only see these new Kyorge/Groudon designs as forme changes rather than Megas, but that opinion will change if they behave like a Mega-evolution in their activation application and etc.

That said, I think it's about time we had ourselves Grass/Dragon, so Mega Sceptile looks like It'll be fun to try, at least from a casual point of view for now.
Edit: And why, exactly, does he get Lightning rod? I see the value but...it's just....not what I'd expect
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 06:25:06 pm by RekkaAtsuma »
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: June 08, 2014, 07:49:23 am »

B) Note my last post's words: "no clear overworld shot" Yes, we do indeed see some waterfalls and grass, but we do not have enough from that small image, considering the vast waters and forests of the entirety of the Pokemon universe to discern "clearly" where they are.
The river shot in the Brendan/May image is pretty clearly Route 119.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: June 08, 2014, 08:00:02 am »

B) Note my last post's words: "no clear overworld shot" Yes, we do indeed see some waterfalls and grass, but we do not have enough from that small image, considering the vast waters and forests of the entirety of the Pokemon universe to discern "clearly" where they are.
The river shot in the Brendan/May image is pretty clearly Route 119.
Exactly how easy to see is that particular shot? Most of the provided shots of said overworld are small and hard to pick details out of, plus like I said Pokemon as a universe is pretty much water and forests everywhere. So water and forests isn't exactly a 'clear declaration'.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: June 08, 2014, 08:19:33 am »

Route 119 is the only route with Acro Bike tracks over water, and the screenshot shows those.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: June 08, 2014, 09:24:03 am »

Route 119 is the only route with Acro Bike tracks over water, and the screenshot shows those.
And my point is the overworld image showing that(as well as most others provided) is so freaking small you can't even see if the player is even on the acrobike or not...making the image unclear.

Like I said, I don't doubt it's Hoenn but this annoying "spectacular new world" bit of news has me on edge: remake* RSE like they were and I'll preorder. But add something to it? I'll need to know what's added before I commit my money.

* example of what i mean by remake: LOZ OOT to LOZ OOT 3DS - exact same stuff and play and etc.
---however this new world mumbo jumbo has indicated that we're got getting a graphical remake, we're getting some extra, so i in no way can claim this is a full remake until a truly clear image of the same events comes out. The acro rails are not events btw.

Expect the worst hope for the best, that way you always get satisfied no matter the otucome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: June 08, 2014, 09:45:10 am »

Megas only get 100 extra BST points, and often the stats that go up are balanced by a reduced stat somewhere
IIRC, (and i'm not sure but) No mega i have seen has anything past a 40 increase in one stat

And thus linked to one of the few failings of the mega system (which is an overall nice system). In that, it has yet to, to my knowledge, make a third rate pokemon first rate (and heck a few 2nd rate pokemon are still 2nd rate afterwards too). Well unless Kangiskan is first rate (but to my knowledge even with its special ability it is still not a front line). At least in my mind since this was a prime opportunity to take the VAST number of unused pokemon and giving them a bit more use.

I don't know... sometimes I wonder what the heck they are doing with the franchise, but then I am reminded that Pokémon is not just a game but marketing as well. So a "make the popular pokemon stronger" makes sense from a marketing standpoint.

Also going up 40 points in a single stat is pretty significant. Given that going from an 80 to a 120 is essentially the difference between being average and being somewhat of a tank.

Now I just need to remember the name of the Pokémon game that is a turn based strategy but isn't a roguelike to see if it is any good...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:06:06 am by Neonivek »

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: June 08, 2014, 10:08:17 am »

Megas only get 100 extra BST points, and often the stats that go up are balanced by a reduced stat somewhere
IIRC, (and i'm not sure but) No mega i have seen has anything past a 40 increase in one stat

And thus linked to one of the few failings of the mega system (which is an overall nice system). In that, it has yet to, to my knowledge, make a third rate pokemon first rate (and heck a few 2nd rate pokemon are still 2nd rate afterwards too). Well unless Kangiskan is first rate (but to my knowledge even with its special ability it is still not a front line)

I don't know... sometimes I wonder what the heck they are doing with the franchise, but then I am reminded that Pokémon is not just a game but marketing as well.

Also going up 40 points in a single stat is pretty significant. Given that going from an 80 to a 120 is essentially the difference between being average and being somewhat of a tank.
Yeah it's about the marketing for sure, as is stuff like TLOZ and other Nintendo owned stuff, but dang if they aren't good and challenging games!

IIRC: Kangiskhan is still allowed but Kangiskhanite was banned, due to power up punch plus striking twice with it for 2x stage increase to atk in one turn while dealing dmg, pretty nasty.

However Megas, despite that possible the 100bst total and 40 in one stat at that increase, have one major drawback: almost always using a build with an item other than the mega stone is likely the best way to handle your opponent.
Examples? Blaziken and Mega-Blaziken - MB is about 10% dmg value weaker than regular Blaziken, but has more survivability thanks to increase in defenses

Then there's the megas of Mewtwo and Charizard that swap their stats around, making them physical, nice yes, but lack of item makes them weaker then their normals by dmg output or utility.
Admittedly Charizards now almost always mega-evolve and I myself use Charizard Y myself but not because of competitive use, but simply because i like how it looks better then reg charizard.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: June 08, 2014, 10:14:39 am »

So mostly for an unintended exploit, which I won't give credit to.

Also wow, two banned megavolutions.

For the most part TO ME at least, the better Megavolutions are the ones where it isn't about Raw Stats.

dang if they aren't good and challenging games!

Challenging? Mystery Dungeon is the only official challenging pokemon series I am aware of (and holy cow can that game get hard.. and unfair)

I already had to get used to Zeta and Omicron which made me realize how much the games just constantly pull punches. The second trainers used GOOD pokemon with good movesets and intelligent items, I kind of became disillusioned with the main series. Though given I found competitions interesting, I am clearly insane.

I still like Pokémon and think it is a great series mind you. But it just reminds me of back in Red and Blue days when battles between people just boiled down to Mewtwo battles and Recovery. It just eats away at your enjoyment and you wish you could just sort of unsee it. Or like in a different videogame where you are stuck at a particularly difficult boss but someone shows you that if you just ignore all the boss' attacks and just tank it, you will easily win.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:27:37 am by Neonivek »

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: June 08, 2014, 02:42:08 pm »

Mega Kang and Blazi were just two that came to the top of my head, but anyways, so everyone knows my disposition regarding ORAS as "remakes" I'm of the mind that TLOZOOT3DS and Halo Anniversary are real remakes and they set my standard for calling anything such.
Considering FRLG & HGSS added stuff in outside of being compatible with newer Pokemon, and OOT3DS only did minor interface changes and graphical overhaul, with only one function getting changed due to system hardware and only one function being added...
Well, it just makes it hard to call them true remakes if they add a whole level's worth of content, as the new content wasn't in the originals, obviously.

Anyways I'll shaddyup nao.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: June 08, 2014, 02:59:12 pm »

Wouldn't adding in all the gen 6 pokemon and such also be in violation of your "remake spirit"?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: June 08, 2014, 03:16:15 pm »

Wouldn't adding in all the gen 6 pokemon and such also be in violation of your "remake spirit"?
Not really, as that's the whole purpose of even re-releasing a Pokemon game under a new title. But make no mistake that is the only room for additions I allow within my definition.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: June 08, 2014, 03:30:23 pm »

Not really, as that's the whole purpose of even re-releasing a Pokemon game under a new title. But make no mistake that is the only room for additions I allow within my definition.
Your definition seems rather oddly specific and a bit arbitrary. You're alright with new pokemon, new items, new abilities, new gameplay mechanics, but god forbid they add in new zones or change a word of dialog, huh?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: June 08, 2014, 03:58:33 pm »

Your definition seems rather oddly specific and a bit arbitrary. You're alright with new pokemon, new items, new abilities, new gameplay mechanics, but god forbid they add in new zones or change a word of dialog, huh?
Dialogue updates always happen, no matter what, so that I am completely okay with, especially as it doesn't detract from or change the game's story or flow.
OOT3DS added a hint system, and swapped the stone of agony for a "shard" of agony, these I was iffy about but i accepted them as I understand the intent and the applications of and both of these as optional parts was very well done, they however didn't change a thing about the story of OOT3DS or it's flow

The sevii islands and the hg/ss safari zone were part of the story of their games, mandatory parts that were added, if they weren't I wouldn't have mentioned them.
(mandatory for sevii is the fact you go there before blaine, mandatory for the hg/ss safari is you go there before chuck. just to be clear)

Changing the story or flow whether by adding or removing parts makes it uneasy for me to call the game a "full remake", that's my point.

As for the whole adding in new pokemon items and abilities: RS were able to trade with FRLG, which gave to them pokemon, items and abilities that weren't in the initial RS games...If I hate them adding pokemon to the remakes, then I have to hate trading and importing pokemon in general, which I don't. Also it doesn't effect the story to add a Talonflame into a game set in Hoenn.
Edit: forgot a line FRLG are "newer" than RS, another reason i don't mind newer pokemon/items/etc being added in to a pokemon remake.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:01:56 pm by RekkaAtsuma »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: June 08, 2014, 06:55:48 pm »

Now I just need to remember the name of the Pokémon game that is a turn based strategy but isn't a roguelike to see if it is any good...
You're probably thinking Pokemon Conquest, which is almost literally Samurai Warriors + Pokemon.  It's OK, but not amazing. 

My opinion on remakes is actually pretty simple: if it's the old game I want, why don't I just play the old game?  A remake, to be something worth considering in its own right, should approach the original game, remain true to its "spirit" (as ambiguous and awkward as such a term is), but not remain in slavish devotion to rebuilding it identically in block-by-block the same manner.  The new side features like the Sevii Islands and improved Safari Zone were actually things I enjoyed.  To me, they didn't significantly break up the old story.  Even if a new area is added, they're still remakes; saying otherwise feels a bit like verging on a "no true Scotsman" approach to definitions.  Now, they may be bad remakes, certainly, but they're still remakes. 

That said, what did they do to Tabitha?  Why is Shelley's neck so awkward?  Why is Steven using a Mega Charizard X instead of a Mega Aggron or Mega Metagross?  And finally, what is with that headband?  ;_;

EDIT:
So mostly for an unintended exploit, which I won't give credit to.

Also wow, two banned megavolutions.

For the most part TO ME at least, the better Megavolutions are the ones where it isn't about Raw Stats.
You're not wrong, I think.  In fact, the reason those two (Blaziken and Kangaskhan) are banned by Smogon isn't because of their stats, but because of what their abilities do to gameplay.  Same with the other two banned Mega evolutions: Mega Gengar is now a trapper/killer par excellence thanks to Shadow Tag, while Mega Lucario's Adaptability gives it hitting power all out of proportion to its stats.  That's even true for the Megas that remain usable, some of which actually gain quite a bit of versatility due to switching roles in combat.  Mega Venusaur went from sunny sweeper to bulky tank; Mega Charizard's forms got much, much better at sweeping due to Drought and Tough Claws; Mega Pincer's Aerilate and Mega Gardevoir's Pixilate greatly boost their offensive prowess; Mega Mewtwo Y got some interesting strategies opened up to it (boost up, Rest off the damage taken, then Mega Evolve to immediately awaken); Mega Aggron's benefited not only from its ability, but also its type change to pure-Steel to become a powerful physical wall instead of a sub-par sweeper; and Mega Mawile is only good at all because of its ability.  I'd completely agree with the assertion that Megas that rely on stat bonuses tend to be the weaker ones, except Mega Mewtwo X, and that's because its stat bonuses actually change its role from special sweeper to a mixed sweeper - Y is just a regular Mewtwo on steroids, but X is actually interesting. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:11:25 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 463