Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 636232 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: The ULTRASun and ULTRAMoon Rises
« Reply #6210 on: September 04, 2017, 01:36:42 am »

But it's a flying head.  It doesn't...it's...I...
C'mon, it doesn't take that much imagination to see how a head could be an acceptable waifu.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: September 04, 2017, 03:37:47 am »

okay let's break from the creepy waifu talk now

So for those of you interested in battling, Smogon is suspect testing the ability "Arena Trap". It's one of the things that makes Kanto Dugtrio so damn good, because it can prevent switchouts, a key part of play. Similarly, Shadow Tag was banned last generation, and was one of the contributing factors to Wobbuffet being kicked up to Ubers way back when.

Dugtrio itself isn't being tested, but Arena Trap Dugtrio is; the idea is that automatic trapping abilities are extremely strong, and remove one of the fundamental methods of counterplay in Pokemon; that being switching out to a pokemon better equipped.

Dugtrio also got a bunch of shiny new toys in Gen 7, so it has several more viable sets with which to trap pokemon it previously wouldn't have survived. So yeah, thoughts?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: September 04, 2017, 08:54:15 am »

He used to be mediocre, but they buffed him quite substantially with 20 extra attack and z-moves. So now he's super popular.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: September 04, 2017, 10:30:14 am »

but preventing switch isnt also counterplay on its own? it should be a valid strat. pretty sure no one wants to be on a switchfest during battles, its annoying even against NPCs.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: September 04, 2017, 10:48:43 am »

Smogon's banning system is very strange and quite unlike any other game out there.

First off there's the tiers which are partially based on popularity and usage but also based on power balancing.

These tiers all have their own councils and committees if you will. They will regularly hold big organized discussions like the one about Dugtrio where each member gives their thoughts on the contented topic before opening it to the floor. After that they will have large scale tests then they decide what they want to do with it.

I think it's a good system. While at first glance it looks like they just ban everything, Pokemon generations update so often that you always have fresh infusion to keep things new. For every one banned Pokemon in Smogon, something else will come in. It helps shake the community.

If you have time I recommend checking out their system. It's very interesting seeing how large scale yet organized everything is.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: September 04, 2017, 03:15:16 pm »

sounds better organized than the balancing team of certain games...

i dont know whats the state regarding fan games on this thread but since the proper thread for Pokemon Uranium barely sees action well, i wanted to share my happiness here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

it took me more than 100 hours of gameplay to breed these guys. wanted to try the whole breeding gameplay to see if i could create a team that i could use both in the league and for online battles. im more or less focused in bulky species with different strats.

i dont know how people build Ludicolo in the official games but i wanted to make use of Rain Dish and physical moves so the idea is to give him Rain Dance, Drain Punch, Coral Break (its a move unique to to Uranium, kinda like an alternative for Waterfall) and i was hoping to get Leech Seed but it seems i'll have to keep Giga drain just in case.

the other mons are unique to the game so im gonna try to be the most short with them.

1. Maggie is a normal type that evolves similar to Slakoth, it starts as a nimble physical attacker to a faster one (it learns several fight type moves) then it becomes a lazy cat. its final hability makes it start the game asleep so i wanted to use Rest+Snore as main strategy, with Hyper Beam and Body Slam as offensive while awoken.

2. Proxima is a dual type ghost/fire with Prankster has HA, i want to use Confuse Ray, Recover, Shadow Ball and Flamethrower for its movelist. i was thinking Will o Wisp  but since it doesnt have sustain well.

3. Tesla is a pure electric type with emphasis on physical moves. since its species learns Baton Pass, i want to add it so i can transfer the Charge and Speed Boost bonuses. apart from that it can learn stuff like Spark, Extreme Speed and Thunder Fang/Wild Charge.

4. Ammut is a pure poison that becomes really bulky once evolved, originally i wanted to go poison/fairy with an alternate evolution for Spritzee but i passed 4 days breeding and didnt got a top IV baby so i scrapped the idea and went monotype instead. this guy can learn the whole Stockpile moves along with Poison Fang, so i want to go tanky with Stockpile, Swallow, Poison Jab and HP Fairy as a way to counter both fairies and dragons.

5. Sinestra is a nuclear type, which is effective to everything except steel and itself while being weak to everything else except itself. despite the weakness, since its a pure nuclear, it only gets x2 damage from oponents, so i want to try a rather unorthodox strat for this type, im gonna teach it Toxic, Substitute and Giga Drain, along with keeping Radioacid, a nuclear move that has a chance to burn the target. kinda like a wall.

and well, that's all, just wanted to share my strat, maybe i should make an account in Showdown so i can play with Gen VII but im not sure.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:35:06 pm by xaritscin »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: September 04, 2017, 03:27:35 pm »

You can't just talk about fangames or fanhacks without saying which fangame or fanhack it is.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: September 04, 2017, 03:29:37 pm »

You can't just talk about fangames or fanhacks without saying which fangame or fanhack it is.
Pokemon Uranium

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: September 04, 2017, 03:34:45 pm »

i mentioned it in the post. but ok, gonna edit it for clarity

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: September 05, 2017, 02:17:06 am »

Ah, I remember Uranium. Doesn't it have some obscenely overpowered pseudo legendary bug that gets stab from Fire, Water and Grass all at the same time, in addition to its own typing? And other poorly balanced pokemon, like that steel digger mon thing that has either Speed Boost or Motor Drive or something similar, with very high stats.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: September 05, 2017, 10:19:00 am »

Ah, I remember Uranium. Doesn't it have some obscenely overpowered pseudo legendary bug that gets stab from Fire, Water and Grass all at the same time, in addition to its own typing? And other poorly balanced pokemon, like that steel digger mon thing that has either Speed Boost or Motor Drive or something similar, with very high stats.

its supposed to be a legendary, but since its obtained by evolving a common species (only the female, and the ratio to find one is the same as with Combee) well, people can breed it for perfect stats. but its actually stab for fire, water and electric (not all, just some), its bug/normal and can cover a lot of roles due to its long list of avaliable TMs/HMs. still, not really broken compared to other stuff in the community ladder.

the other i think you mention is a dual type steel/dragon that is based on a crane machine, yes it can be problematic due to typing and the speed building but there's plenty of ground types in this game and the steel primary makes it vulnerable to fire types which for the most part are faster than it, there's also plenty of fighting types to counter it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: September 13, 2017, 12:54:04 am »

So awhile back someone asked about Ice-types. I found this video that goes super in depth into ice types and their history in Pokemon.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: September 13, 2017, 03:42:19 am »

its supposed to be a legendary, but since its obtained by evolving a common species (only the female, and the ratio to find one is the same as with Combee) well, people can breed it for perfect stats. but its actually stab for fire, water and electric (not all, just some), its bug/normal and can cover a lot of roles due to its long list of avaliable TMs/HMs. still, not really broken compared to other stuff in the community ladder.

the other i think you mention is a dual type steel/dragon that is based on a crane machine, yes it can be problematic due to typing and the speed building but there's plenty of ground types in this game and the steel primary makes it vulnerable to fire types which for the most part are faster than it, there's also plenty of fighting types to counter it.

5x STAB with the ability to abuse Grassy and Electric Terrain for further 50% damage boosts? no, not broken at all. Take Steelworker; it's a really, really good ability, and it gives you ONE more STAB. Pity that the pokemon with it is slow and not exactly a great typing. Adaptability is also amazing, a further 50% on STAB for a total of 2x instead of 1.5x. There's a good reason users of Adaptability are common in higher tiers.

Consider that with 5x STAB, life orb or specs/band, it has access to five different types that gain a very sizable boost of 50% + 30% + 50% in power, and even mediocre stats will become titans with that sorta thing, then maybe a further 50% from Grassy or Electric Terrain. Nidoking is the king of UU and it only gets 2 STAB with frankly mediocre power (I think it has 95 base spatk?), but with access to 30+30+50% boosts (Sheer Force, Life Orb, Electric Terrain on tbolt, or STAB on Earth Power and Sludge Wave), with no stacking STAB + terrain either.

I dunno, I like the idea of fangames, but in practice the new pokemon are horribly broken in some way or another, or are just poorly thought out or designed. Imo most of them in looks are barely better than Quartz.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: September 13, 2017, 06:43:17 pm »

some stuff to take in account about that:

1. there's no terrains in Uranium since the game came out before Sun & Moon ( it has Megaevolution tho).

2. the legendary only has one hability which is Elementalist (all water, fire and electric moves are taken as if they were STAB), the real STAB moves of the mon are mostly normal and bug moves (Tri Attack, Hyper Beam, X scissor, among others)

3. it has 65 speed which compared to other pokemon in the roster is quite slow actually.

4. its bug/normal. fire and rock moves still are x2 effective.

the only thing i would complain about this mon is its defenses, 90 defense/sp defense and 155 health is quite bulky but since its a legendary i think its ok.

now, fan games aside. there's two new Ultrabeasts codenamed Assembly and Burst for Ultra sun/moon, they were shown in the Nintendo Direct. it seems there's also other stuff like Nekrozma abducting Solgaleo/Lunala
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:13:40 pm by xaritscin »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: September 13, 2017, 07:15:34 pm »

Terrain moves were actually introduced in gen 6, it's just that the surge abilities (that caused terrain upon switching in) weren't introduced until 7
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:19:07 pm by RedWarrior0 »
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 463