Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 636197 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Our boy did it
« Reply #6645 on: September 16, 2019, 06:40:22 pm »

If you met Ash in any game he's spew something about his pikachu being in the top percentage of all pikachu.
Hey, I understood that reference.

Mainly because I'm playing Heartgold right now and holy apricorns, Batman, Joey really loves to remind me how good his Rattata is.

What if youngster Joey's rattata actually has perfect IVs, and therefore really is in the top precentage of rattata?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: September 16, 2019, 06:55:58 pm »

If you met Ash in any game he's spew something about his pikachu being in the top percentage of all pikachu.
Hey, I understood that reference.

Mainly because I'm playing Heartgold right now and holy apricorns, Batman, Joey really loves to remind me how good his Rattata is.

What if youngster Joey's rattata actually has perfect IVs, and therefore really is in the top precentage of rattata?

I mean it probably is, but also there's that cliche about polishing turds to consider.

Additionally:

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: October 02, 2019, 03:31:02 am »

Here's a few variations of the core gameplay I've been thinking about.

• Your Pokemon are completely healed after every battle.
  • Your Pokemon can have 6 moves equipped instead of 4.
  • Your Pokemon can switch out known moves for previously known moves at any time outside of battle.
  • Your Pokemon cannot gain experience from other Pokemon that are over 5 levels lower than them.

What would you think about each of these changes?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: October 03, 2019, 10:34:28 am »

An XP penalty for defeating pokemon of a significantly lower level might be a good thing, but giving no XP would make grinding a lot harder.  I stopped playing after Gen 2 so I'm sure things have changed a lot since then, but wouldn't this make it so you could only get to level 100 by battling other players who had pokemon that were high enough?  Are there any trainers in the games that have pokemon at level 95+?

It's a question of how grinding should work in the games though.  One could argue it's just a waste of time and pokemon should gain levels through some other less tedious method.  Same with healing pokemon, since it's arguably a time and (in game) money sink with no real purpose.  Some people will say that it's dumbing the games down, but it's not a clear cut thing one way or another.

I'd like to be able to swap moves out though, so something like that would be pretty cool.  It wouldn't trivialize TMs or HMs either since the pokemon could only switch to moves it knew at some point.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: October 03, 2019, 01:42:05 pm »

I quite like it when RPGs heal me fully after every battle. It means I can go into each fight knowing I'm at full strength, and any loss I suffer has nothing to do with the fact that I didn't go back to the inn like a good boy, but rather because I didn't play well. It's a reassuring notion.

There are games where managing HP and MP and such as limited resources are a well-integrated part of the challenge, like Etrian Odyssey, but Pokemon is definitely not one of them, and I would be totally into this change.

The only problem is, that would require the game to have more challenging and interesting trainer battles, lest the games become even more of a cakewalk than they already are for most people who know what a controller is... and I don't foresee Game Freak or any AAA developer trying to improve Pokemon in some meaningful way like that. Not while the Pokemon Company has a stranglehold on using the games as a way of marketing their merchandise and would prefer they remain as cheap-to-develop, inoffensive titles that can release often and keep the franchise ever-present in people's minds.

... Sorry. That got really cynical really fast. I just... sigh. I just really want Pokemon games to be free of the greedy machinations of a gigantic business that only cares about making more money, rather than providing a quality product for the fans. I think most Pokemon fans realize that the series is capable of so much more than it's doing, especially given the amount of money said business has already made on the franchise.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6650 on: October 03, 2019, 03:02:44 pm »

And then they shut down the people who do attempt to do more with it,

as for the healing thing, it would be interesting but would rather impact pokemon solo challenge runs, which are something I quite enjoy watching

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: October 03, 2019, 03:09:39 pm »

On that point, I'll take the opportunity to plug the Siralim series as pokemon battle mechanics done right (in my opinion).

All health and mana recover after every battle (including raising dead monsters), but those resources matter a lot within each fight. Every monster has a unique trait that (often) is really something defining instead of a little nudge here or there. Leveling up a new monster isn't that rough. Easy to streamline grind when you want to grind.

Just, uh, don't look to that series for much outside the battle mechanics. Still, would be nice for the pokemon team to take a look at Siralim for some ideas.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: October 03, 2019, 11:05:52 pm »

I mean, if I were doing it, I'd remove levels entirely, and make all pokemon statistically identical (or atleast very similar) so that battling was entirely a strategic affair, of taking into account each pokemon's abilities, types, strengths, weaknesses, and the terrain involved; so that you'd have a good reason to actually be using every pokemon you can, rather than just picking 6 you like and steamrolling the game on statistical strength alone.

That's a helluva change though.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: October 04, 2019, 11:41:32 am »

It really does feel like Pokemon is several games competing with each other.  There's the traditional RPG aspect of just grinding until you can stomp anyone with anything, the collection aspect and the strategic aspect.  They all feed off of each other in ways, but of the lot it really does feel like the grinding levels part is the most dispensable.  In a lot of ways, it's just wasting time, and I wouldn't be surprised if mainstream games did drop it eventually.

Actually, do they do that now for PvP battles?  I could have sworn I read somewhere that it automatically sets all pokemon to the same level to remove that aspect, but things like IVs presumably are still different.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: October 04, 2019, 10:38:49 pm »

If I recall correctly pvp battles have a level cap (usually level 50) if your poke is below that level, they keep their level,(allowing for setups like lv1 FEAR rattata) if above they are set to level 50 (keeping all their IVs EVs and learned moves, even if said move is learned after 50).  There are some non standard rulesets that set everything to 50 or everything to 100 (i think theres also a ruleset that does not change level) but those are the rules for the standard system matchmaking format.

Only other notable rule is that the ranked modes usually ban legendary pokemon from being on a team, and prevent duplicates of the same hold item or the same species of pokemon.  I think casual has the no dupes rule as well.

So yea in summary
Casual matchmaking: Lv 50 or less, no dupes, anything else goes
Ranked Matchmaking: Lv 50 or less, no dupes, box cover legendaries banned, some minor legendaries permitted seemingly case by case.

Smogon: half a dozen rulesets, generally banning instant kill moves, evasion buffs, various overpowered non legendary pokemon, and some movesets.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:56:34 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: October 05, 2019, 01:18:56 am »

... so that you'd have a good reason to actually be using every pokemon you can, rather than just picking 6 you like and steamrolling the game on statistical strength alone.

Problem with that is that I like just using the pokemon I like, rather than having to use the "good" ones.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: October 05, 2019, 06:16:09 am »

A bit off topic:

Was just reminded of Nuzlockes - the way I most enjoyed playing Pokemon. I stopped whenever the experience system changed (made grinding insufferable) so around Black and White, I think.

Is there a game I could Nuzlocke that I haven't finished already? I did all the GBA ones and SoulSilver.
Also would be open to non-Pokemon similar games.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: October 05, 2019, 08:22:37 am »

There's Crystal Clear, of course.  It's different from other Nuzlockes since you can grind gyms for quick money and XP, but they scale up based on badges (up to 16 since it's based on Crystal).  You can also choose any starter and its IVs if you choose to do so, or pick from an extended list.

Well Crystal Clear adds a lot of features to get into, largely convenience and UI.  I did a Nuzlocke though (up to Elite 4 anyway) and it wasn't too rough, after the initial hurdles, but I still lost some strong pokemon like Tyranitar due to the power of later gyms.  Getting all 16 gyms isn't necessary, they outlevel the Elite Four after a point, but it might be a good idea because the Elite Four have tricky setups.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: October 16, 2019, 03:44:46 pm »

Well now, Gigantamax mechanic just Meme'd up Meowth, just when you think you've seen it all, the...
I'mma not finish that statement!

Anyways I realize I'm taking quite a shot in the dark here, but do any of you have a spare Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape with Iron Fist Ability?
I need one to breed thus I don't really care about stats, gender or even nature, I can breed-doctor those but I need that Hidden Ability.
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: November 11, 2019, 10:56:16 am »

SS is almost here!

https://wildareasearch.pokemon.co.jp/ja/
A web thing where you can explore some of the 'Wild Area' just appeared. The Engrish is abysmal, but still kinda interesting to explore.
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 463