Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 636191 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Our boy did it
« Reply #6690 on: November 21, 2019, 10:07:21 pm »

Can anyone explain to me why "bug-types are early, so they must be bad/Steel is late-game and very good" is an important design decision to keep it Pokemon? Why I should go through the badges in the same order as someone who has a different team, because linearity makes the game what it is?

I think quick-n-dirty evo chains, like the various butterflies over the generations, are there to teach new players how pokemon evolution works.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: November 23, 2019, 02:06:22 pm »

Something I'd like in the next Pokemon game, that would encourage linearity but not force it:
Foes have set levels, but you(the player) have no boundaries/blocked-roads/etc, IE: sure you CAN march right up to Route 8 from the get go, but your level 5 starter will likely be one-shot by everything there, wild or trained.
It's a crying shame this isn't how all of SwSh is, as it's exactly how the Strong-Looking Wild Pokemon in the Wild area are.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 02:08:13 pm by RekkaAtsuma »
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Abyssmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Goblin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: November 23, 2019, 11:38:53 pm »

I'll admit, I don't really like this gen all that much but there are few that I have a soft spot for.
Some of them just, I really dunno how to describe them besides saying that they're so damn good.
Especially this one:
Kinda hope we get a proper version of it later on though as well as Dracozolt.
Would love to see what they both really looked like.

All tunnels lead to Skavenblight

My mods

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: November 24, 2019, 03:02:26 pm »

perhaps if they make a Sword2/Shield2 where they actually finished everything because from what it seems the fossil mixing part could have given a lot more combinations but they just didnt have time to make the missing pieces.

all things considered, it seems Dracovish despite all his goofy mismatched appearance will be quite popular for competitive gameplay due to stats, habilities and typing.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: November 25, 2019, 12:43:03 pm »

perhaps if they make a Sword2/Shield2 where they actually finished everything because from what it seems the fossil mixing part could have given a lot more combinations but they just didnt have time to make the missing pieces.

Do they still put out a third (improved) game sometime before the next generation? I remember red and blue, then later yellow or green?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: November 25, 2019, 01:48:22 pm »

Do they still put out a third (improved) game sometime before the next generation? I remember red and blue, then later yellow or green?

they stopped making a 3rd version since Gen V. there was Black/White and then Black2/White2 which was a follow up on the first game stories with some changes compared to the originals, then came X/Y but they didnt make sequels of those, then came the remakes of Ruby/Sapphire (but no Emerald) and Sun/Moon with their alternate reality versions UltraSun/UltraMoon. they basically ditched the consistency they had since Gen IV and now just make improved variations of the 2 versions they sell for each gen. Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee were a remake of Pokemon Yellow but converted into 2 different versions, Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield will probably feature a secondary version later on unless they try to surprise people again and make something like, "Pokemon Spear" or some shit like that but as far as things go, i dont see any kind of 3rd poster legendary in Galar for that (Eternatus doesnt fit there).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: November 25, 2019, 02:38:59 pm »

I suppose having a half generation game (the improved third game) would bring in less money than just going with a new generation, but I'm curious how much loss you have from competing with yourself because "everyone" knows they can wait for the same story+monsters with some minor QOL or story upgrades.

I know I want "this game, but anything that bothered you is fixed, and we fleshed out your favorite bits". I also understand that they don't want to make it if they get nothing (money, or keeping in the public eye, pure enjoyment) from making it. Even re-using the existing assets and adding to them takes a non-zero amount of time and money, but selling another game should also give them back a non-zero amount.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: November 25, 2019, 04:43:30 pm »

I'm not sure how well a third game would go over this gen.  Kinda all the major improvements I could see people complaining about.   The national dex is back! (well why couldn't you do that in SwSh)  The game is now truly open world! (Well why couldn't you do that in SwSh)  Hop doesn't praise you for being awesome when he switches his football rabbit in of your sad sniper lizard like an idiot. (Well why couldn't you do that in SwSh).  Not that I would hate the idea of a third game, I kinda wonder if they are worried about that kind of backlash.

At any rate I'm happy I kept faith in the game despite the controversy as I am enjoying myself with a few little niggles.

• The wild areas are great, but needs expanding.
  • Max Raid battles are fun, but the stamps saying they are available need to go away when they no longer are.  About 3/4ths of the raids I try to join are closed or are otherwise no longer available, and being only able to refresh the list once every 5 minutes means it averages 20 minutes to find one raid.
  • Link codes are a good idea but don't work when there are hundreds of thousands of people playing.  I send a link code to trade with a friend and we're still only about 50/50 we'll actually get eachother.  A simple friend trade list would be better.
  • I miss the GTS.  Yes it was abused, but it should have been fixed and not thrown out entirely.  For every person who offered a zigzagoon for a shiny box legendary there were people offering baby starters to new players just for help filling out their dex.
  • The new animations look nice, but it's a tad jarring that the pokes themselves still have the 1 physical animation, 1 special animation. And maybe a handful of special unique animations like football rabbit's fireball, or sad lizards sniper. ....and whatever the monkey nobody ever uses has.

I miss Zoroark

Edit: Find/replace soccer with football
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:54:27 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: November 25, 2019, 05:52:31 pm »

I miss the GTS.

I think this is probably the thing I'm most disappointed about in the game. The GTS was great and actually let me complete the pokedex in gen 6. Now my current plans are "hope my friend is willing to ride around in the grass for an hour looking for a 2% sword-exclusive encounter" or "wonder trade a fuckton of Wooloo until I get what I want" and they're both much worse than just having the internet find a Stonjourner for me.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: November 26, 2019, 10:05:15 am »

*grumbles about Pokemon go features being in main series games* *grumbles about national dex* *grumbles about everything*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: November 26, 2019, 10:47:28 am »

Which Pokemon Go features?

Anyway, I finally got the game yesterday but only had about an hour to play.  Got as far as getting my pokedex and finishing the tutorial area.  I can tell I'm going to really enjoy playing this, especially after taking so long not playing any main series games.

So far I'm upset by 2 things (aside from the controversy over the national pokedex and all that):

1. The game teases you with wooloos you can't own for like a full hour.
2. They didn't include the pokemon follower feature from the Let's Go games despite having overworld pokemon models walking around, so I can't make a wooloo follow me around.  Despite the fact that the pokemon champion whose outfit looks like it belongs in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has his charizard following him around.

I also find it a little funny that wooloos are apparently extremely uninterested in everything, since the main thing they say when you talk to them is "meeeeh."
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: November 26, 2019, 11:02:46 am »

I also find it a little funny that wooloos are apparently extremely uninterested in everything, since the main thing they say when you talk to them is "meeeeh."
Funny thing is, that's basically what sheep & goats say in Danish. More or less.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: November 26, 2019, 12:05:13 pm »

The game teases you with wooloos you can't own for like a full hour.

Protip: once you leave the Slumbering weald after the foggy encounter, talk to your Mother, it only says she gives you spending money, but she actually also gives 5 Pokeballs.
Yes, this means you can catch wooloo, Rookidee, Blipbug(Rare) and a few others BEFORE getting the Pokedex. It also means that if you do, Leon's Tutorial on Pokemon catching is skipped entirely.

Thing that bugs me on NG start up? Y-comm, aka trade-function, isnt available until 1hr in or 40min-to-45min if you turn off animations and cutscenes. Trust me, I bought both and got all 3 starters with the help of a friend.
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: November 26, 2019, 12:13:54 pm »

Good to know you can skip that bit, since that's more or less what my plan was too.  I was going to restart a few times to trade starters to my brother, and, yeah, it took about 45 minutes to get to the point where I could.  Just got to wait on him to tell me he's available so I can get him to hold my beer grookey so I can restart.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: November 26, 2019, 12:25:55 pm »

Thing that bugs me on NG start up? Y-comm, aka trade-function, isnt available until 1hr in or 40min-to-45min if you turn off animations and cutscenes. Trust me, I bought both and got all 3 starters with the help of a friend.

I assume it's because they don't want people to have a full set of starters easily. Same reason they're almost all male (which makes breeding starters much more difficult).

Why that is, I don't know.
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 463