Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463]

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 636292 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #6930 on: March 23, 2023, 07:21:15 pm »

I couldn't get past the game's rather cringey dialogue, honestly. I tried, but I had to give up after a while.

Apparently it picks up later on because the guy who wrote it started it in his Edgy Teenager phase and left that behind while he was still working on it, but I just couldn't deal with it.

It also ran like absolute arse sometimes, but that might have just been my laptop.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6931 on: March 28, 2023, 06:18:47 pm »

I couldn't get past the game's rather cringey dialogue, honestly. I tried, but I had to give up after a while.

Apparently it picks up later on because the guy who wrote it started it in his Edgy Teenager phase and left that behind while he was still working on it, but I just couldn't deal with it.

It also ran like absolute arse sometimes, but that might have just been my laptop.

How does it compare to Pokemon Unbound writing-wise?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6932 on: April 01, 2023, 03:55:37 am »

Surprising, because it runs great on my laptop. Then again, it's a rather new one, even if mid-range specs-wise. Pokemon Uranium, however, despite being much simpler in many ways, runs like shit.

And it's true, the early parts of Reborn feel like fanfiction I'd write in the first year of middle school. The later parts feel like something I'd write in my third year of middle school  :P
My problem with the storytelling is that there are too many characters, many of which are forgettable or are too similar to other characters (I keep confusing the bug leader and the Salamence girl, both of which are relevant for very long); some having annoying gimmicks (Cain making everything sexual, Fern having no redeemable traits, Terra), some having so little characterization that you forget who they are as soon as they disappear from the screen (every single Meteor member).
Also, out of all 150 characters, half get kidnapped or taken hostage at least twice in the entire game. Everyone also seems to have family issues of some kind. Everyone is either a liability or ends up being a traitor.
If the game wasn't good from the gameplay perspective, the plot would be too much to bear.

Anyway, I got some more leaders down:

While the poison leader is where I began to realize the game wasn't gonna play fair, it was the psychic leader that really felt like CBT except without the sexual thrill. His gimmick was an arena that enforced some convoluted chess-inspired rules. I couldn't remember the rules, and I had no stomping tantrum to flip the board, so I cheesed hard and reduced the levels by 20%. It was still difficult. I restored the levels as soon as I got my hands on a chip.

The dark-type leader was a joke. I just broke the dark crystalline field with Dugtrio's earthquake, but not before abusing it a bit myself.

The fighting leader wasn't fun, as his team was designed to counter everything that normally works well on fighting types - pretty much all his fighting moves were enhanced by the arena, nearly every pokemon had acrobatics that was also empowered, and to add insult to injury, he had poison jab on everything.
I tried to brute force it somehow. I could delete his Conkeldurr with Noivern, melt Lucario with Charizard, but the rest was troublesome. Then I realized something - other than maybe Blaziken, none of his pokemon could take down my Bronzong in one hit. What's more, I had an alolan Golem with sturdy. What do these two pokemon have in common? They learn explosion. It felt dirty, it really did.

The fire leader fight seemed hopeless, but in the end it was just a matter of adjusting my strategy. It was a double battle where the leader lead with Darmanitan and Typhlosion. The trick here was not to allow the Typhlosion to use full-powered eruption before Dugtrio can clear the board with earthquake. Fortunately I had an extremespeed packing Arcanine for that. The next step was to weaken the fire attacks that were empowered by the arena. I didn't intend to fight fire with fire, despite the fact that I brought Arcanine and Emboar to the gym, so I had my Seaking drop a rain dance. I also tried my luck and obliterated Rotom with horn drill. At some point I sent out my Golem to explode, because I don't trust stone edge. I think it was against Charizard?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6933 on: October 29, 2023, 01:04:51 am »

Alright, TCG rant -

So I used to play the TCG online a bit (ptcgo), but they closed it down early this year and released the new client - PTCGL (Live) and it sucked. I don't like the interface at all, and it is additionally broken - occasionally will just hang forever on drawing a card and then it comes down to whoever forfeits the match first. They also got rid of all of the trading, which is fine, but sits poorly with the whole...T in TCG.

I'm trying out TCG One instead, which is more for retro players (like their career mode starts with the original base set). It's pretty much like playing Blood Bowl on FUMBBL - it's all old vets/pros who never stopped playing the game and know everything inside and out. It's pretty rough to make progress because...well, I rarely win. That said, it is fun to see all the old cards again, and it certainly has more depth than the PTCG Gameboy game. The sets are all content complete (As far as I know) up to HeartGold and SoulSilver at least, and it seems most cards are also implemented after that, but obviously the more complex the maneuvers are in the newer cards, the longer it will take to implement. But I can forgive that because it's a fan project - and PTCGL has the same issue, but is a real Pokemon product.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: ALL YOUR GIMMICKS COMBINED
« Reply #6934 on: January 06, 2024, 04:10:08 am »

Since the success of Pokemon Go, it might become more focused in the mobile market, who knows?
dear god please no

This was very prescient with the okay Pokemon sleep and the horrific stereotypical MOBA Pokemon Unite, annoying generic gacha game Masters EX (whose design naturally means we're unlikely to see the return of B2/W2's PWT with new and updated characters), besides numerous others.

Tbh w/r/t Scarlet and Violet, my opinion of it is somewhat higher than Sword/Shield. The pokemon seem generally better thought out, the full open world design is quite nice but suffers from similar issues to SwSh of mediocre world graphics, poor framerates and a lot of emptiness. I think the Switch is holding back this pokemon game, along with the now mandatory release timing.

Most of the symptoms in SV and SwSh relate to the franchise itself. Pokemon as a franchise is beginning to become similar to other giant franchises, where the game is tertiary to the remaining holdings. Nintendo absolutely RAKES in the money from Pokemon merchandise, which outsells even the best selling pokemon games by a ratio of something like 3:1. "Main series" game sales are (reportedly) about $16B USD in 2023, merchandise sales alone are ~$90B USD.
Free to play games like Masters and Unite are also rapidly catching up to main series with again (reportedly) nearly $9B for 2023. It makes sense for Nintendo to begin pivoting away from extremely polished not-too-much Pay-2-Win like the main series to aggressive monetisation policies in Masters EX or Unite.

I'm not actually that positive about the future of the series despite the positive steps SV made (ignoring the very rocky launch). Look to a comparable giant Japanese franchise in Dragon Ball. Outside of the upcoming Dragon Ball Magic, there is little reason to produce a decent show (or secondary to that, game) because merchandise sales and the gacha game Super Dragon Ball Heroes eclipse anything else. Hell, Super Dragon Ball Heroes is the only currently active anime of Dragon Ball, and it's a poorly animated fanfic machine made to support a mobile gacha piece of shit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: January 11, 2024, 11:26:01 pm »

Scarlet/Violet DLC Epilogue has chicken dance. That is all.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6936 on: January 30, 2024, 04:51:54 pm »

Question for everyone, black/white or black2/white2?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: January 30, 2024, 05:14:17 pm »

White 2's my favorite game in the franchise, so I'd recommend the sequels. I don't think B/W are bad games though, especially not compared to recent ones. So, both or B2/W2.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: February 03, 2024, 05:40:15 pm »

If you have to play only one or if you don't care at all about story, B2/W2 (and look up the story of 1 if you do care) for the mechanical improvements that always end up in the later games of the generation.  Otherwise, the issue with picking just one game for Gen 5 is going to be that the second games are not remakes; they're sequels.  B2/W2 builds off the story of B1/W1 in the same setting with new characters.  Their legendary exclusives are allocated with this in mind, assuming you go from Black 1 to Black 2 or White 1 to White 2, though on the other hand, non-legendary exclusives are still allocated based on version/color. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 05:41:47 pm by Culise »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6939 on: February 05, 2024, 08:53:55 pm »

Question for everyone, black/white or black2/white2?

I read plenty on them and decided on BW2 when I was trying to play them.

I promptly stopped playing after the first gym because I found everyone's dialogue to be insufferable. This is an ongoing issue I've had with the games, though - just a symptom of being an old curmudgeon.
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463]