Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any 24x24 or larger graphics sets to recommend (preferably TWBT)?  (Read 2114 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This year I finally upgraded to a modern HD LCD monitor. However, now that I want to get back into DF, I realized that graphics sets like Phoebus and Mayday (or even Ironhand) are not ideal for high resolutions.

Aside from Gemset, are there any graphics sets for 24x24 (which is ideal for 1920x1080)? Are there any graphics sets for 20x20 (which is ideal for 1600x900)? I did not find any mentioned on the wiki's DF2014:Graphics set repository page (aside from Gemset).

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:24:59 pm by Thundercraft »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any 24x24 or 20x20 graphics sets to recommend?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 07:21:27 pm »

Depends on your definition of 'graphics' but I like Taffer's 20x20 tileset.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:53:26 pm »

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion.

Taffers 20×20 tileset does look nice. But, it is listed on tilesets page and uses straight ASCII to represent everything. (Edit: It seems that Taffer may have released a graphics set version of this, but the link is broken as if the file has been removed.)

For such definitions, most DF players defer to the wiki. And it differentiates between graphics sets and tilesets as:
Graphics sets are used to change the appearance of creatures in the game, such as dwarves and unicorns. They usually come with and are designed to work together with certain tilesets. They can significantly change the appearance of the game and make it easier for players to tell what is happening onscreen.

A character set, or simply tileset, is an image in BMP or PNG format that contains the 256 different tiles, corresponding to the IBM Code Page 437 (sometimes called Extended ASCII). They are used to display the main graphics.

I want to say that a "graphics set" uses graphics to represent creatures, whereas "tilesets" use ASCII characters to represent everything... However, the line has become blurred. And several sets listed on the DF2014:Graphics set repository page uses at least some ASCII.

'CLA's ASCII-like Graphics Set' uses ASCII characters that are stylized to look like creatures. And sets like 'Geoduck's 16x16 Graphics Set' and 'Anon's Tileset and Creature Graphics' use graphics to represent certain races like dwarves and goblins, but ASCII to represent most everything else. Even the 'Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics' set on that page uses racial graphics for dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, and kobolds.

To answer my own question:

A bit of digging reminded me of TWBT (or Text Will Be Text). This allows for extra features, including the use of a tileset for text while simultaneously using a graphics set for graphics. It also breaks the requirement of having a grid at least 80x25, which allows a lot of resolution and graphics/tile freedom.

Then I stumbled across the amazing Meph Tileset which is designed for high resolutions and designed to work with TWBT. (It is described as a 32x32 set, but says it's quote, "for 32x32; 24x24 and 16x16".)

There's also the [24x24]phoebus_plus_spacefox_stuffs graphics set for 24x24. However, this is an old set dating back at least 2˝ years ago, probably much longer. (Max™ talks about it here. However, he only reuploaded this and did not create it. DragonDePlatino explains here that someone used HQx to resize a smaller graphics set and pointed out: "You can download HQx and much better resizing algorithms like xBr here.")

Edit 1: A deeper search on DFFD turned up some more...

There were some others. But, those were for 0.40.x or older and are quite outdated.

Edit 1:

Correction: The XXTatteredXX set is only 16x16. It did not specify size, but I was confused because it was supposed to be a mix of Phoebus and Meph's sets.

Edit 2:

There's also Phoebus & TWBT [40.24]. It may be outdated, but I think it's worth mentioning as it is a 24x24 set that combines Phoebus with TWBT.

Edit 3:

I found out about the amazing Dungeon Set from reading about what's in the latest PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack.

It's a 24x24 TWBT set and that's the kind of set I'm looking for. (However, I don't care for how dwarves and other races are illustrated, nor how the walls look. I'll definitely stick with the Meph Tileset.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:22:44 pm by Thundercraft »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 02:02:50 am »

My Taffer set from Taffer's link in his thread, comes with several variations including graphics for all the main races (I dont use them, but they're there) which is why I recommended it. There are very few graphics packs with graphics for all of the races at 24x24 and you seem to have found them.

Seems like a heck of a lot of work, so awesome job from those who manage it. With procedurally generated main races being threatened, its only going to get harder to pull off effectively.