Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking to make a few Videos.  (Read 515 times)

Jebster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking to make a few Videos.
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:38:11 am »

Hey guys,

I assume this is the right lace for this topic but please feel free to redirect me if you feel it should be elsewhere.

I've been playing DF on and off for about a year or two (i lose track) and recently have been trying to get some friends involved. My plan is to make a few basic tutorial videos outlining how to just get a rough and ready fortress going.

My question is this, should i put these videos up on youtube for everyone, or are there enough already? i know i used some videos from youtube to start playing myself.

Also, do you have any suggestions that would make my tutorials better in general?

Cheers for taking the time to read,

Jebster.

themagicdwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
  • This is a stack of 7 well-prepared unicorn heart r
    • View Profile
    • Unicorn Brain Stew - Blog
Re: Looking to make a few Videos.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:55:47 am »

Do tutorials on surviving the first year; digging; making food; beer; traps. The basics. Make it easy for a new person to have fun early, so they get sucked in later. Instant gratification right?

I doubt there can be enough videos for the basics - try doing a video for each biome; like one for serene and one for terrifying biomes. The starting conditions are vastly different and it's silly when a new player gets wiped out by zombie weasels and choked by zombie fingers from their own dorfs... despite the fact it's hilarious.

Also make people appreciate how fuckin' complex the simulation is. And dorf feelings, they need to be explained. Dorfs hurt.